Crazy I know but what do you think?

NOOB350BOY

Recruit
Ok my father has a 1989 Bayliner Contessa with twin sbc 350 volvo penteras and he is upgrading to efi 350's and the alpha brovo 2 twin props. But the old ones only have 300 hrs on em so he told me to find a boat in need of engine repair and i can have them. So here's the first idea: A 1988 Sunliner 16'. The motor is dissasembled but interior is ok and it looks pretty good. So do you think it will work. here is a link. thanks http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=2236909&cat=147&lpid=6'

flabum

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Crazy I know but what do you think?

That is a small boat, it may currently have a 4 cylinder motor in it now, If that is the case, then you are looking at a bit of work to get a V-8 in it.

redfury

Commander

I wouldn't be worried about the motor fitting into it, I'd be worried about the motor tearing up the outdrive.

NOOB350BOY

Recruit

Ok so wikiepdia say that the 2.6l Mitsubishi that was there was rated at 85kw at 5000rpm which is about 113hp. Link The 350 is only 260hp. but like i first said i have two 350's and two volvo pentera's so ill have to cut a bigger hole in the transome but i think it is just crazy enough to work.:D and i looked at the boat and the hour meter said only 80 hrs. but the interior has aged greatly. but thanks for the input.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what is the hull rated for.

erikgreen

Captain

Putting two motors in it, even if you manage to get them to fit, would make the boat so stern-heavy it might stand on end in the water, or sink.

If you ran them, it wouldn't be safe... you may think you'd get a lot of speed, but most likely the boat would be almost impossible to drive.

Also, forget getting insurance, and you can expect to be placed "at-fault" for any accident you have while in the boat, due to the extreme overpowering.

My advice: Get a 25 footer to put those two engines in. Or, put one in the 17 footer provided the manufacturer had it as an option, and sell the other one to pay for the other repairs the boat will need.

Erik

salty87

Commander

does not sound like a good plan, see above^^

oops!

Supreme Mariner

night wanna think of a different hull.
25 feet for twins.
cheep hulls on e-bay. didnt see too many on craigslist, (northwest)
sounds like a lotta fun, and if dad doesnt mind... a great investment!

have fun.

cheers...
oops