Cranks but wont start

Nuggets55

Cadet
Hi Guys,

I recently acquired a Merc 3.0 1997 Serial #0K011377 with an alpha one gen 2 drive.
The engine cranks but will not start. We had it started last week, after a while of cranking. Then this weekend I wanted to do maintenance so I changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor. Did not change the wires as the set I got did not fit and I will change those next week. However, the engine will not start now. I wanted to change the oil after I warmed it up but obviously starting is more of an issue.

When I look down the carb there is fuel. Then I went to test spark. I have a spark plug tester light and it shows nothing at any points. Distributor cap, rotor, and spark plugs, both are new from Napa. I also tried grounding it out and nothing there. I have a feeling there is something wrong with the ignition coil? But I might not be testing it correctly. Everything I tested in the manual gives no reading of voltage and or ohms.

Help is more than appreciated cheers.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
It's (almost) never the coil. For every 1,000 coils replaced, maybe 2 are actually dead, maybe.

As you have an EST ignition system, get the factory service manual (anything but factory is not worth more than a kneeling pad) and go through the test procedure list in the manual. It's pretty good and will pinpoint the culprit fairly quickly.

Nuggets55

Cadet
Thanks, for the reassurance I had a feeling someone would say this.

I re-did the testing, and as you knew the ignition coil seems fine. I will note that the ignition coil was put in backward so I had to adapt that to the manual. As they say, a little patience goes a long way. Seems the pickup coil is bad, which is more common? I am not getting any resistance on the white and green for the pickup coil. Ordered one and it will be here in time for the weekend.

I will look into removing the distributor and timing the engine, any tips have never done either.

Thanks again!!

Nuggets55

Cadet
Just thought I would update this post with results.

We got the new pickup coil in and everything else back together. Still no spark. Basically, the only thing left to replace was the Ignition coil and Ignition control module. Tried the testing again and although the steps were confusing it seemed apparent that the ignition coil was bad as no spark was coming off the coil no matter what we did.

Picked up a new coil from Napa and the beautiful spark and boat runs well, went out on the water and noticed some other issues. Will make a new post for that as not engine-related but nothing really major either :)

I have realized the boat was not that well taken care of as I thought and I am just happy to have it running now, and learned a lot. Plus I now know what has actually been replaced, which I feel is invaluable.