Crank-driver raw water pump upgrade

saf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So, I upgraded my pre-1997 VP belt-driven raw water pump to a high volume Jabsco crank-driven pump. Happy with the performance, maintenance is much easier - great upgrade. However, I am getting this vibration from the pump, see the video:
I am guessing the pump is not aligned correctly, however, I cannot figure out what the problem is. So, the pulley that the pump is attached to is a new replacement to the original (the one that had one extra grove for the pump belt). I specifically bought a pulley that had the alignment studs that line up with the pump crank. The pump fits perfectly onto these studs, I can feel it coming flush to the pulley. I think the crank does not show any significant movement as it spins (watch the video). So, the pump shaft must be at an angle to the crank shaft. How can it be? Did anyone have similar issues?

alldodge

Staff member
Your vid is pretty close so not sure, but the pump did not seem to have a bracket holding the pump

saf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The bracket is there (the pump would spin with the crank without it). I was trying to keep the phone close (and from different angles) to capture the exact way the pump moves. It looks to me like the body of the pump moves sideways while the crank-mounted pulley does not...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I see the belts also vibrating in sync with the impeller and hoses, are you sure that the harmonic balancer is not starting to fail (pulley run out on the crank pulley) and are the other pulleys aligned with the crank pulley?
I know that when the harmonic balancer went on our '98 Jeep the belt started doing crazy things and looked like it was going to jump off the pulleys. But it was more obvious than what you see there.

saf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That's a scary thought! Didn't realize the balancer can fail.
Just watched the video again myself. I think the reason the belt is vibrating is the steering pump pulley. The steering pump pulley is all beat up and is not moving straight causing the belt to move. The crank pulley looks stationary, there is an angle in the video where you can see the edge of the pulley staying in place.