Craigslist scammers ? or am I being paranoid?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have purchased a few things off Craigslist,not many.I have always communicated thru email and after a few emails exchanged I asked "When and where"? Most direct you to their home and quick and easy.I have sold very few things thru Craigslist however I have an outboard for sale and most inquiries ask me to email them at a different email address or text or call the number they leave.Am I being paranoid ??? I would typically ask in the initial email "is it still available"? I have not gotten a normal looking reply yet.I know most there are knuckleheads with nothing better to do to keep themselves busy but there are some legitimate shoppers arent there? The scammers are easy to spot.Charlie

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You need to be paranoid these days. Scams are around every corner. They should be contacting you by whatever means you choose, everything should be on your terms, not the buyers......
I buy/sell on FB Marketplace. They really have taken over the buy/sell market... Scams there too. A lot of sellers won't respond to "is it still available" and they say so in their ad....

matt167

Captain
I just sold my old outboard on FB marketplace. I ignore the ones that leave a number to text or email. In the end a nice kid came paid what I wanted and I threw in a 4hp kicker. Instagram searches Facebook marketplace now too so you will have to deal with that too

Chief Petty Officer
If you are selling something, make the buyer jump through YOUR hoops.

Ask for a phone number - no number no reply .

Speak to them - you can tell who is serious and who isn't .

Ask them to come to you - Give them an address near your home. Look out the window . If they don't show up, don't leave your house. If they're serious, they'll show up on time, wait in their car, and bring cash. Go up to them and say "hi" .

Trust your gut - If something doesn't feel right , it probably isn't. If they seem OK, they probably are .

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Lot of scammers out there and a lot of bad boy criminals out there. If at all possible meet the buyer at a police station in the parking lot or in front. Especially if it’s an item of value like electronics, jewelry and other items. I know of and have heard of numerous instances of people who have been ripped off and robbed. Transacting the sale in front or or in the police parking lot pretty much eliminates that. Be cautious and listen to your instincts.

tpenfield

Staff member
They will only scam you if you let them. Sounds like much of what you are getting can be ignored.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I will communicate with the marketplace email a few times, then offer them my phone number so they know I am local and serious. This also helps them to easily text me some additional photos.

If they text me, I now have their phone number as well. Helps to coordinate pick up, directions, etc.

Tuggles

Cadet
I think a healthy amount of paranoia is probably good when dealing with craigslist.

440roadrunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Asking "is this available" is a SURE FIRE WAY to get a seller thinking YOU ARE A SCAMMER!!! Ask something else. "He'll" tell you if it's sold!!!

I've had some minor problems, only one was outright scary. I carry, by the way. ALWAYS. Engine listed for sale in the Spokane Valley area near Felt's Field. Had trouble getting in touch and made arrangements for next morning. Spent a significant amount of time/ trouble getting the trailer, tools, tie downs loaded and hitched and ready. Called that morning, told this "lady" I'd be coming.

I get over there perhaps 45 min. later, no answer. Then this huge ugly sloppy red-head freak comes out the door to leave. "There's no engine for sale here."

"You have someone here named XXXX?"

"She's asleep."

"I JUST SPOKE with her less than an hour ago."

"Maybe but there's NO ENGINE FOR SALE HERE!!"

Drug house? Very likely. I LEFT!!

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I put my old boat motor on craig's last week, for free. I got a response right away the guy responded and showed up when he said he was going to right on time. It was amazing.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
When I was selling an old outboard on craigslist I received countless responses with folks stating that wanted the motor and wanted my address and information so that they could send me a bank check and have their "shipping" company arrange a pickup. Those are the ones I promptly ignored.

Chief Petty Officer
One time I had a "serious buyer" wanting to buy a boat and motor show up on a bicylcle.