Craig's List FAQ

CATransplant

Admiral
We all use Craig's List, but there are times when we all encounter terminology that can be difficult to understand. As a service to iboats forum members, I'd like to present some assistance. This will make Craig's List easier for all of us to use.

Q. What is a Tri Haul Boat?
A. A Tri Haul boat is a boat you haul three times. First, you haul it away from the guy you bought it from. Second, you haul it home to your driveway. Third, after you figure out that it's waterlogged, has soft floors, and needs a new transom and about $2000 worth of other work put in it, you haul it to the landfill. That's why it's called a "Tri Haul." :D

Q. Who makes "Evenrude" Outboards?
A. Often confused with Evinrude Outboards, Evenrude outboards are made by leprechauns in Ireland. Sadly, there is rarely a pot of gold under the cowling of an "Evenrude."

Q. Why is that Volvo Penta 5hp Outboard $750?
A. Volvo Penta outboards are rare, so they must be worth a lot of money. And, everyone knows that Volvos are good, right?

Q. What does "moter needs tuned up" mean?
A. It means that the "moter" doesn't run and you're going to have to spend a lot of time and money on it before it does.

Q. I saw this ad: "boatengine/re-pair/outboad" Should I trust this mechanic?
A. Now, now...just because he can't spell doesn't mean he's not an outboard genius. Still...

Q. What is a "boat set?"
A. That is the proposed new spelling for "boat seat." Every boat needs a new one.

Q. Does a lot of exclamation points in an ad indicate a good deal?
A. Quite possibly. Or not. It does indicate an excitable seller, though. Proceed with caution.

Q. In an ad on Craigs List the seller said the outboard he was selling "should start." What do you think?
A. I think it should, but it won't. In fact, it hasn't started for years. I should be a millionaire, too, but I'm not. Truth in advertising always works, and the seller is not telling a lie.

Jakebob

Seaman
Re: Craig's List FAQ

Thanks for this. I have a question of my own:

Does this FAQ apply to boats that are "for sell" or non-sailboats that are "for sail"??

cribber

Lieutenant

Thanks for the Craigs List FAQ!!! That was really funny and so true in so many ways!!!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Don't forget the Craigslist condition secret decoder ring!

NEW: Its new, but I broke it, badly, after only a couple outings.

LIKE NEW: At one time it was new, before I broke it, so now its just like new.

BARELY USED: aka barely maintained. I used it 10 years ago, put it away wet, and just found it last week. Often found in the springtime, usually with a frozen block.

A LITTLE SOFT: Completely rotted out.

MECHANICS SPECIAL: This boat hasn't seen a mechanic, ever, in its life. No mechanic would want to touch this thing in the future.

LOST THE TITLE: Stolen

USED: Might be the one guy on CL that actually advertises truthfully!

CATransplant

Admiral

Thanks for this. I have a question of my own:

Does this FAQ apply to boats that are "for sell" or non-sailboats that are "for sail"??

I left that one out, I guess. A boat may be "for sell," "for sail," or it may "need sold" if the owner of said boat "must sale" it. Typically the owner "must sale" it because his wife told him it "needed sold."

Thank you for bringing that question to my attention. I'm always happy to interpret Craigs List ads.

Bluegills Unlimited

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just like a "Little TLC" basically means rebuilding the engine, put in a new floor, and remove the bee hive under the bow seats

great topic!

Bluegills Unlimited

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just like a "Little TLC" basically means rebuilding the engine, put in a new floor, and remove the bee hive under the bow seats

great topic!

I was clicking through todays CL boat ads right after I posted this, and found some proof:
"1991 boat for sale. Price reduced from 1600.00 Motor needs work and it also needs seats recovered and an ignition. A little TLC is all it will take to get this boat on the water for your summer enjoyment. Give us your best offer by email and we will consider it. Will send pictures by request. "

"

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't forget the trailor usually for sell with the tri haul...

saumon

Lieutenant

trailor are used by sailor and trailer by seller, right?

anyway, ?the trailer only is worth the asking price? is another classic...

Ducatinut

Seaman Apprentice

great topic!

To paraphrase one of my favorite writers, Pete Egan, "Like patting it on the side and saying nice things to it will restore lost oil pressure, quiet a rusty gimbal bearing, and make the impeller regrow its vanes"....

:D

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like the ones that say "It ran 5 years ago before we stored it"

Andy in NY

Commander

i saw one the other day that said "try hall boat"...

and craigslist is a daily comedy source for me! it also amazes me how many people try and sell crappy boats without a trailer, but will say the trailer is for sale for extra. and usually the math doesnt make sense... boat for sale, bring your trailer and get this deal! $500 or i will sell the boat and trailer together for $1500.

CATransplant

Admiral

Yah, and a moter that needs tuned, too. Here's the complete ad:

Tri Haul, Evenrude moter, Trailor For Sell!

1974 tri haul glass tron, with 1956 evenrude 35 hsp moter and trailor. Boat needs sets re-done, but has re-enforced transum. Moter shoud run but may need tuned up some. Ran out reel good when last used a few years ago. Trailor has flat tires but will hold air. Trailor lights need fixed. This will go fast, so buy it now. Only $1750. Price gose up once fishing season starts. I don't check e-males, so call 555-555-1111 and leve messege. Wife says must sale quick!

Note: This ad has been reposted weekly for the last six months.

monarch78

Recruit

Don't forget. "I am listing this for a friend who does not have a computer of access to the internet."

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

Here's one from today's CL. "Beautiful 1997 36' Formula speedboat. Previously owned by baseball hall of fame player Mickey Mantle."

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/1738669167.html

Since Mickey passed away August 13th, 1995, I can only figure that the boat is either haunted by Mickey's ghost,:eek: or the boat is also a time machine, which would make it a good buy for the price.:D

D

DJ

I just sold an outboard on the local CL. Of course, I got the whacko calls/emails from the typical SCAM artists working out of Africa.

However, I sold the item to a very nice guy that much appreciated what he got, for the price.

Works for me.

dwco5051

Commander

Don't forget. "I am listing this for a friend who does not have a computer of access to the internet."

Not uncommon in my area. About 20% of the residents in the valley for religious reasons do not have electricity let alone a computer. There are many postings which are put on Craig's list by their English friends and neighbors for them.