Cracked ski locker 1998 Regal 1900 LSR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blych

Cadet
Hi everyone,
New to this forum, new to boat restoration...looking for some advice.
I bought a 1998 regal 1900 LSR 3 years ago.
ski locker gel coat is cracked. It seems to be a common issue for that boat.
I'd like to get it fixed before putting it in the water this year.

Blych

Cadet
Reading as much as I could online, l defined the following plan:
1) remove the cracked gel coat and fiberglass when needed.
2) grind/ sand the gel coat on the remaining fiberglass.
3) prepare surfaces before fiberglassing
4) fiberglassing
5) gel coating?

Blych

Cadet
I already started step 1. The wood and the foam are dry and in pretty good shape. So that I won't have to replace them.
I am having issues accessing the front part of the ski locker, not much space there.
Unless I teach my 3 year old boy how to grind and fiberglass, I will have to do it my self.
I was wondering if I could add a hatch closer to the bow so I can access the front part. Do you think this is a good idea, or should I avoid it?
If I add an hatch, I suppose I'll have to treat the newly exposed deck wood. Was would we your recommendation? Fiberglassing?

Step 2 is I suppose needed if I want the new fiberglass to bong with the old one. Do I have to remove all the gel coat or hand sanding of the surface is enough?

Step 3 , as I said, the wood is in good shape but in some area, the "first layer" came with the gel coat. I assume I have to fill these areas to get an even surface before fiberglassing. What would you recommend as filler? Epoxy resin?
How smooth the surface needs to be before fiberglassing. No I need to sand them, what grain size should I use?

Step 4 epoxy or polyester resin? I am tending toward epoxy for its bonding properties with older fiberglass and other materials.
Was about the fiberglass it self? I Was thinking woven cloth bands first to cover joints and after csm, maybe 2oz, 2 or 3 layers.
I really need you expertise there, will be a first time for me.

Step 5. Gel coating? Is it my only/ the best solution? How should I prepare the fiberglass before gel coating? Sanding? What grain size?
Would be adding pigment and wax to the last fiberglass layer an acceptable solution? Can I sand the fiberglass?
Is painting the fiberglass possible?

This is a first batch of questions and probably more to come
Thanks for your help.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iBoats! I would be very helpful if you would post Pics of your boat and the ski locker area with the cracked gelcoat. This way we can SEE what you see and offer the best advice. NOTE: If you want to Re-Gelcoat the ski locker You should use Polyester Resin and Glass NOT Epoxy. Gelcoat will Not Bond to Epoxy. Using a Free Photobucket account and then copying and Pasting the IMG code of your pics is the best way to post pics to your iBoats thread.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

Blych

Cadet
Thank you Woodonglass.

Here are some pics.

Front part of the ski locker

Back part after partial removal of cracked gel coat and loose fiberglass.

Back wall of ski locker

I don't have to re gel coat the locker. What are my other possibilities?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Using Polyester Resin for the repair will be perfectly fine. It's what your entire boat is made of. Based on what I can see. I'd use a 41/2" grinder and grind off any and all loose and cracked gelcoat and feather it back to good clean glass. 2-3 inch border of glass around the perimeter is all you need. New glass needs old glass to stick too. NOT on top of Gelcoat. Vacuum out all the dust and then wash it all down with acetone. Then lay down a couple of layers of 1708 fabric and then roll on 2-3 coats of gelcoat and you're done. IF you want to use epoxy you could sand and feather everything down smooth lay down 3-4 coats of Epoxy and then paint it all with Bilge Kote and call it good.

Blych

Cadet
Thanks,
So if I Use the polyester resin, I don't need to sand and smoothen down before fiberglassing?
Not even fill the, in some area, missing wood layer? ( see 3rd pic, left side of the wood, next the foam)
Can I simply coat over the remaining gel coat (on the side of the locker) too? I'd like a somewhat uniform color tone.

What about the hatch?

Thanks again for your help Woodonglass.

Blych

Cadet
I spend a little time cleaning the locker so you have a better idea of how it actually looks like.

This the front part of the locker

This is a picture of an era where a layer of wood was removed. Should I feel these before fiberglassing? With what?

This is a picture of what I think to be a pouring hole for the exp. foam. I remove some rotten foam, the foam below it is dry. How should I feel theses up? Pour back foam in it?

To remove the gel coat, Instead of a grinder, could I use an orbital sander with 36 grit paper? Should I sand the wood too?With an 80 grit paper?
Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You got it backwards. You ALWAYS use glass with Polyester Resin and You Must remove the gelgoat. With Epoxy it will stick to just about anything and you don't have to use glass with it. 1708 is only used with Polyester Resin since it has CSM stitched to it. Epoxy only requires Fabric. NO CSM (Chopped Strand Mat) required for Epoxy. R/O sander will work just takes longer. 80 grit on the wood is fine.,

Blych

Cadet
If gel coating, I'll be using laminating polyester resin. How to I get the last layer to fully cure? Is PVA the way to go or would you recommend something else?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You don't use anything. You want it to stay tacky and apply the gelcoat directly over it. On the LAST coat of Gelcoat you can either add Surfacing wax @ a 10% ratio or Spray PVA on it Just at the moment it starts to tack over. Either way will work.

Blych

Cadet
Ok.

I prepped the boat today.

still not sure what to use to fill the holes and the wood. Maybe peanut butter. Can anyone recommend something?

I also sure I will have to cut out the deck to access the part of the locker towards the bow.

Thanks

Blych

Cadet
Removed the deck carpet in the bow.

Was thinking about cutting out the deck, fix the ski locker, screw a fiberglassed pw piece from the bottom. Put back the cut out piece in place, fill the gap with PB, re- glass the deck, re- carpet.

What dou you think?

Thanks

Blych

Cadet
I cut the deck open.

And started grinding the old gel cost

Soon I will have the 2-3 inch perimeter needed to glass.
I'd like to re gel coat the complete locker, not only the area that I will glass. Do I need to grind down all the remaining gel coat?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Do I need to grind down all the remaining gel coat?

No, Scuff it 60 grit and scrub it really well with Acetone and it'll be good to go.

Blych

Cadet
Finished removing the gel coat today, do you think I could also cut the foam at the end of the locker out ?

It is in the way of the fiberglass.

And what do you think I should use to re glass the deck? 2 layers of 1.5 can?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.