cover prop for winter?

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class
Maybe this is an odd question but I got to thinking about this the other day while driving.... if while parked outside rainwater gets in the exhaust opening in the lower half of the drive through the prop hub does it have a way to drain out or does this become a freeze hazard in the winter? Alpha 1, gen 2. Just curious as I know there are several boats that sit outside int he winter but I don't know that I ever see one covered so I guess it must not be a big issue typically?

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
racer one,

Your no fun. should store with drive down to save bellows anyway.

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I removed the prop and made a canvas outdrive cover from an old boat cover. When the prop costs $800, its better if I remove it than someone else. Drive in the down position. The cinder block is to keep the skeg from touching ground if the tires go flat

Attachments

• D8289B2F-1115-425C-BEA2-756BFA6B16A8.jpeg
    D8289B2F-1115-425C-BEA2-756BFA6B16A8.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 13

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if the drive is removed for the annual service, simple store the drive in the basement or garage until spring and re-attach then.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I removed the prop and made a canvas outdrive cover from an old boat cover. When the prop costs $800, its better if I remove it than someone else. Drive in the down position. The cinder block is to keep the skeg from touching ground if the tires go flat
Agree. Drive trimmed down and cover the prop. Yes, it's better to remove the drive.

My boat is in my garage, so no way water can get into the prop area.

I also keep my trailer supported. I use jack stands under the trailer frame just in case the tires go flat. I don't want my skeg hitting the concrete floor.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Should be using axle stands to keep the tyres of the ground. Leaving tyres on the ground with the full weight on them for that long (without moving) is not good for them.

gr8knurlin

Seaman Apprentice
my shop uses heat shrink tape to cover the ends of the props when winterizing.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’d say drive down and turned slightly to starboard to stop the bellows stretching too much. But if you have a situation like I used to have…where the boat yard she’s kept in ask you to leave the drive up far enough so they can move the boat on its trailer when required…get a prop bag or cover that stops water gathering in the exhaust cavity. Be very unlucky, but it’s apparently been known to cause an issue

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks all. It’s stored inside but I know it got rained on at the shop before I brought it home. just hadn’t thought about it before or how much water would collect and stay trapped.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thanks all. It’s stored inside but I know it got rained on at the shop before I brought it home. just hadn’t thought about it before or how much water would collect and stay trapped.
There is a roughly 1/4” hole in front of nose cone of lower unit make sure that is clear and it will all drain. Pour a little af down the center of the prop you should see it drain.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
There is a roughly 1/4” hole in front of nose cone of lower unit make sure that is clear and it will all drain. Pour a little af down the center of the prop you should see it drain.
Nope, that drain hole drains the front of the gear housing, not the exhaust cavity.

I seriously doubt a bit of water in a volume that big is going to cause any issues, even if it does freeze, it's got nothing to push against to break.

Chris......

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Nope, that drain hole drains the front of the gear housing, not the exhaust cavity.

I seriously doubt a bit of water in a volume that big is going to cause any issues, even if it does freeze, it's got nothing to push against to break.

Chris......
Agree chris. I’ve personally never known anyone it’s happened to. But have heard of guys saying it has or they knew of it. You’d need to be a hell of an unlucky guy for it. It would need to freeze the area of trapped water at its surface and solid…for it not to be able to expand into the rest of the cavity that’s water free…but instead freeze and expand laterally. Very unlikely I’d think.