Courtesy light problem on Crownline 238 deck boat, fuse panel location?

Chet labrozzi

Seaman
Hello,

I have a 1998 Crownline 238 deck boat, can anyone tell me where and or if there is a fuse panel on this boat? There is one circut breaker by the ing switch, however thats all. There has to be some fuses someplace? I'm having a problem with the courtesy lights won't work, while everything else on the panel does. The swicth doesn't light and neither does any of the lights so I'm assuming I have a power issue? I tore into the dash yesterday until i decided that was way to much work to just change a fuse. Can anyone help me with the fuse panel location or inline fuse for the courtesy lights?

Last edited:

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Courtesy light problem on Crownline 238 deck boat, fuse panel location?

Chet,

Fuse panels on Crownline bowrider/cuddy cabin boats are usually at the helm below the instrument cluster. It should be fairly easy to gain access to.

Power to the helm itself, as well as power for the auto bilge pump operation will be through inline fuse holders connected directly at the battery. The outdrive trim will be a direct connection at the battery as well.

Chet labrozzi

Seaman

This deck boat has a porta potty, head compartment right infront of the helm and panel. I'm going to look around in there today to see if there might be access there to the panel. Everything else is working fine except the courtesy lights. However, I haven't been able to locate the fuse panel. Will this year of boat have the long cylinder fuses or the newer double prong push in's?

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fuse type....good question. Too much time has passed for me to remember what type fuses were in my 1998 202BR...... By 2003 the fuse panels were using the ATC (blade type) fuses. If you find a bundle of orange colored wires, follow the wires back to the fuse panel.

Chet labrozzi

Seaman

Hello Sir,

Thank you so much for the help. You are correct, i followed everything back and found a panel in the porta pottie cabinet which snaps on and allows for easy access to the entire control panel. They are the push in type, once I installed fuses into the open spots everything began working, any idea why the fuses would be missing? Also, any idea on the size i should be using? I temporary put in 20 amp but im sure thats to high so i removed them before i caused any damage, pending problems.

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe the previous owner had a problem with something (like the bilge blower or bilge pump) popping a fuse and he "borrowed" the fuses from the courtesy lights and head blower. If you can locate the head blower, look to see if the blower motor indicates it's nominal current draw, then select a fuse of a slightly higher in amperage. Just for reference, bilge pump motors are usually fused at twice of what the nominal current draw is for the motor. For the courtesy lights look at the bulbs for an indication of the bulb wattage. If the bulb is a 3 watt bulb then P (power in watts) = I (current) X E (voltage, which is 12 volts) ...so the current draw for one 3 watt bulb would be 250 milliamps (or 1/4 of an amp). Multiply the current draw of 1 bulb by the total number of courtesy lights on the circuit. I'd probably fuse the courtesy lights with a 3 or 5 amp rated fuse as the wiring can easily handle that much current draw.

Chet labrozzi

Seaman

Good point, once I out the fuses in both no working items fired right up. I was wondering if they would draw power thus giving a dead battery? Maye thats why the fuses where out? I'm going to put in 5 amp fuses in both and give it a shot and see if it blows fuses or if i end up with a dead battery. There is no reason why they should draw power being the swtiches are off is there? I wanted to say thank you so much for all the help!

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the switches for the head blower and courtesy lights are off then those 2 circuits should not draw any current to discharge the battery. There are several circuits which are constantly powered up through connections to the battery. Outdrive trim, auto bilge pump (a hung float switch will cause the pump motor to run constantly and discharge the battery), Mercathode (if you have one) and the carbon monoxide detector (if you have one) are constantly powered and could contribute to a discharged battery.

Chet labrozzi

Seaman

Ok thank you Sir, Im going to pick up some small 3 amp fuses and put them in the head blower and courtesy lights and lets see what happens....Thanks again!

Chet labrozzi

Seaman

Stopped at west marine yesterday and got some 5 amp fuses which I will put in both the head exhaust fan and the courtesy lights. Lets hope the will solve the problems.