Coupler pin lock & tow hitch receiver pin lock

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you use a coupler pin lock or a tow hitch receiver pin lock?

Looking for recommendations for a:
  1. 1/4" coupler pin lock
  2. 5/8" tow hitch receiver pin lock.
For the 5/8" pin lock, I'm considering this "TowWorks 79631 Keyed Unique 5/8" Trailer Hitch Lock with Extra Long 3-1/4" Span, Double Safety Tow Hitch Receiver Locking Pin"
9dcc81b1-5d19-4bf7-86ef-87368b2a7e84.48daf49e3fd1d1d19eeff03edc56049c.jpeg

Because it has a spring clip to insure it can't come off if the lock end falls off during transport.

For the 1/4" coupler pin lock, I found this one:
"CZC AUTO Black Trailer Hitch Coupler Lock, Dia 1/4 Inch"
6a13367c-02ce-4013-ac6f-a43c9fe64cb6.a9bac74fcb018a869cb8e1d6d0f0c0e7.jpeg

But it requires about 5-7 turns of the key to unscrew the lock. Plus some complaints of not being able to remove the lock. Would prefer a quick turn of the key to open the lock for ease of use when returning home and disconnecting the trailer from our van.

Any experienced recommendations for either lock greatly appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
Use standard hitch pin and drilled the hole out so a standard master lock can be used instead of the quick pin

Did the same for trailer, use long shank master

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Cut off (torch) more than a few of both kinds for people over the years.

Have never felt the need for a receiver lock. Just not a problem locally.
Had a time when someone (kids?) would flip the catch on hitches. Had a couple of people loose trailers pulling out of the parking lot. Now I just lock the catch on the hitch and call it good.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I use both kinds of locks, less to prevent theft than to avoid the sort of mischief @dingbat mentions above. At best, my coupler lock is a deterrent that would encourage a thief to look for an unlocked trailer.

For the receiver lock, I have the kind with barrel keys like that pictured in the first post. It has a rubber cap to cover the keyhole, but I also try to pack the lock mechanism and keyhole with heavy grease so it doesn't corrode and freeze in the locked position.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I keep my tow bar in the truck at all times. so it has a locking hitch pin. Stainless Reese or Master unit (dont remember)

I keep a trailer lock pin (came with the hitch pin) in the truck. use it on occasion along with a trailer ball lock when I drop the trailer.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Nothing will stop those who really want it, but any decent quality lock will usually cause a thief to look for an easier to steal unit. Keep your insurance paid up and your fingers crossed. About all we can do. There are certain ramps I dont use due to their locations and history. A call to local police every so often to complain about suspicious people can cause more frequent patrols to certain areas.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
They are all pretty much useless except for deterring hooligans.
Learned about this long ago when someone was pulling the sliding axle release on semi trailers parked at the entrance to the IL tollway. When you leave the truck stop you enter the tollway.
The first time you hit the brakes , the rear axles slide, often right off the back of the trailer. Explain to your boss why you spilled 30,000 pounds of dry corn across 3+ lanes of interstate.

If you live above the Mason Dixon, plan on replacing them every couple years, as they WILL rust.
Really a pain in the butt when you can't get it open due to rust.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you use a coupler pin lock or a tow hitch receiver pin lock?

Looking for recommendations for a:
  1. 1/4" coupler pin lock
  2. 5/8" tow hitch receiver pin lock.
For the 5/8" pin lock, I'm considering this "TowWorks 79631 Keyed Unique 5/8" Trailer Hitch Lock with Extra Long 3-1/4" Span, Double Safety Tow Hitch Receiver Locking Pin"
9dcc81b1-5d19-4bf7-86ef-87368b2a7e84.48daf49e3fd1d1d19eeff03edc56049c.jpeg

Because it has a spring clip to insure it can't come off if the lock end falls off during transport.

For the 1/4" coupler pin lock, I found this one:
"CZC AUTO Black Trailer Hitch Coupler Lock, Dia 1/4 Inch"
6a13367c-02ce-4013-ac6f-a43c9fe64cb6.a9bac74fcb018a869cb8e1d6d0f0c0e7.jpeg

But it requires about 5-7 turns of the key to unscrew the lock. Plus some complaints of not being able to remove the lock. Would prefer a quick turn of the key to open the lock for ease of use when returning home and disconnecting the trailer from our van.

Any experienced recommendations for either lock greatly appreciated.
I went ahead and ordered both items shown above. Will do for now.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Take a quick peak UNDER the coupler just behind the hitch ball. Do you see that big nut? Unless you weld it to the bolt you still have "zero" security. Removing that nut is a 10 second effort and they can lift the coupler off the ball (locked or not).

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Take a quick peak UNDER the coupler just behind the hitch ball. Do you see that big nut? Unless you weld it to the bolt you still have "zero" security. Removing that nut is a 10 second effort and they can lift the coupler off the ball (locked or not).
Thanks for pointing that out.
The two items I ordered total cost is $32.98 which is negligible for me considering how much I've already spent for my boat and trailer. I know nothing will stop a determined thief but the items may be a deterrent for a "casual" thief who just wants a new 2" ball & mount ....:).

matt167

Captain
I don’t use a drawbar lock but I use a harbor freight coupler lock when I remember to put it in. No it doesn’t really secure anything but insurance company might make an easier payout if I show a cut lock. It cost $10 so either way it doesn’t really hurt anything

airshot

Rear Admiral
Over my many years of boating, I have been lucky enough that I have never been a victim of having my boating things stolen. With that said, there have been others in the same parking lot that have been ripped off !! Over the years, everything from trailers, entire boats and trailers, justbthe hitch itself, you name it and it has been taken while I was in the area. Mind you that is a 60 year span so overall quite rare actually. However I do use locks on every thing, always have. I really do feel that, because I make my stuff difficult to steal, I get passed by most times. Luckily I have found most folks at the ramps I frequent, to be kind, friendly and appear to watch out for other people's things. The cost of a decent lock or locks make them a worthwhile deterrent in my book.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Over my many years of boating, I have been lucky enough that I have never been a victim of having my boating things stolen. With that said, there have been others in the same parking lot that have been ripped off !! Over the years, everything from trailers, entire boats and trailers, justbthe hitch itself, you name it and it has been taken while I was in the area. Mind you that is a 60 year span so overall quite rare actually. However I do use locks on every thing, always have. I really do feel that, because I make my stuff difficult to steal, I get passed by most times. Luckily I have found most folks at the ramps I frequent, to be kind, friendly and appear to watch out for other people's things. The cost of a decent lock or locks make them a worthwhile deterrent in my book.
Hope to duplicate your experience. .... (y).