Cosmetic repairs

ednelson

Recruit
I recently bought a 10-year old trawler type boat that has a lot of crazing. A lot of it looks like it was caused by rough treatment, banging and dropping heavy hard pieces onto the glass. A lot of starbursts with lines radiating out from the impact points.

All of the areas seem to be structurally sound. I believe it is just surface damage. But i want to repair them to ensure no water intrusion and to make her look better.

Question1: Can I save a few bucks and make repairs with polyester or should I go with Epoxy and cover with gelcoat?

Question 2: I've been reading about a flexible silicon form that carries a female impression of the diamond non-skid pattern many boats builders use. Supposedly, after prepping the damaged area by grinding off the damaged non-skid, you can mask off or wax the areas you don't want affected; make a resin paste; spread it over the damaged area; apply this form, use a roller to press out the excess, let it sit overnight and then just peel it off to see your shiny new diamond non-skid.

Anybody ever done this or heard about it?

Sorry for being long-winded.

Ed