Corrosion on drive

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
OK .. step forward.
Boat now in at another dealer ….
Their initial look, confirmed zero damage or misuse of drive, I.e. no scratches, dings or dents.
The bearing carrier (I called collar) immediately behind prop is extensively corroded and severely bubbled under the paint.
On top & bottom of both rams there is significant corrosion, particularly around bonding cable connections.
The bonding cables are connected internally … but no continuity checking yet.
They confirmed the correct Anodes are fitted.
They also noticed some flakes of paint missing at bottom of transom mount plate.

Pictures taken and full report being sent to Volvo.
Dealer thinks Volvo may want to replace the drive, as they will not normally authorise any repaint under warranty.

I‘ll update once next step known.

tpenfield

Staff member
I hate warranties, often there is so much false hope followed by frustration and let down.

I hope Volvo comes through for you.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Volvo usually does well with warranty stuff. Had a few come in over the years at the shop and things were taken care of well. One was a new pod drive, we had it in the heated storage and one day I noticed a little oil weeping out of the side of the case. bad casting. They showed up in two weeks and replaced the entire pod in one day! Glad I didn't have to do that job!

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
If they do replace it, hopefully they have one in stock. A friend had his outdrive stolen from the front of his house this fall and the backlog on getting a new one was many months.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
OK .. step forward.
Boat now in at another dealer ….
Their initial look, confirmed zero damage or misuse of drive, I.e. no scratches, dings or dents.
The bearing carrier (I called collar) immediately behind prop is extensively corroded and severely bubbled under the paint.
On top & bottom of both rams there is significant corrosion, particularly around bonding cable connections.
The bonding cables are connected internally … but no continuity checking yet.
They confirmed the correct Anodes are fitted.
They also noticed some flakes of paint missing at bottom of transom mount plate.

Pictures taken and full report being sent to Volvo.
Dealer thinks Volvo may want to replace the drive, as they will not normally authorise any repaint under warranty.

I‘ll update once next step known.
I have a 2014 SX-A drive. I bought the boat in 2019 with 36 hours on it and to my knowledge it had always been kept on the trailer when not in use. My drive looked like absolute trash also. Corrosion in the same areas you are talking about. I cleaned it up and repainted with zinc primer and Volvo outdrive paint and after over 2 years it still looks good. I do small touch ups to it yearly as part of my winter maintenance.

I've also seen plenty of pictures online of other Volvo Penta outdrives with the same issue.

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
Had an update today .. Volvo Penta UK has accepted it is fully covered under warranty, and as there is also paint coming off they will not approve repainting ... so recommend replacing drive & shield.
Dealer is to raise an Argus Case with VP in Sweden, and then work that through.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I think its a common problem on all outdrives some are worse than others, but at least they are covering it which is great. I just keep painting mine with Interlux Primocron primer and anti fouling. 34 years old doesn't look great but works fine.

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
Never had this issue on previous drives, but they have been single prop. Maybe the dual Stainless Steel prop makes it more at risk.
Though the fact that is has taken hold at each place there is a bonding wire may point to there being an installation issue.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Never had this issue on previous drives, but they have been single prop. Maybe the dual Stainless Steel prop makes it more at risk.
Though the fact that is has taken hold at each place there is a bonding wire may point to there being an installation issue.
Definitely more of a corrosion risk with dual SS props. Anybody who has a Bravo III has likely experienced this, but VP DP drives seem to fair better.

Even on my alpha one gen two, since switching to a big SS Revolution four prop I get more corrosion and anode wear than with a smaller SS three blade- and this is a fresh water lift kept boat .

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
Run SS props on previous boats, usually Mercury High Five.
allways salt water but never moored. Never had corrosion issues.

Anyway will update when I hear from dealer.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
mooring in salt water is a whole 'nother world....
a constant battle with corrosion....

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
Good news (& not so good)
Volvo has agreed it's all under warranty they have approved swapping out the complete drive & Transom shield.

Not so good news is .. it's a 3 month wait for parts.
Realistically 3 months is fine as would not use until the start of May ..... so as long as deadline does not slip, its OK.

Bad news is ... as mentioned original dealer has closed down (administrators now in) so after 150 mile trip to dealer, need another 150 mile round trip to collect it and bring it home until parts are in, followed by a further 150 mile to take it back when part arrive and another 150 mile to collect it ..... lot of miles.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Bad news is ... as mentioned original dealer has closed down (administrators now in) so after 150 mile trip to dealer, need another 150 mile round trip to collect it and bring it home until parts are in, followed by a further 150 mile to take it back when part arrive and another 150 mile to collect it ..... lot of miles.
At this point I'd take the miles and the warranty coverage. Unfortunate but at least some companies still stand behind their products

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
Thought I’d give an update (as some asked for this) … in Jan I was concerned that Volvo were quoting dealer 3 months for spares.
Now Sep and therefore now been 10 months since reporting issue, and still no date on all of the spares.
The transom shield has arrived and rams, but no gearbox yet.
Volvo still agree to swap out drive under warranty, just amazed they do not have spare.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Thought I’d give an update (as some asked for this) … in Jan I was concerned that Volvo were quoting dealer 3 months for spares.
Now Sep and therefore now been 10 months since reporting issue, and still no date on all of the spares.
The transom shield has arrived and rams, but no gearbox yet.
Volvo still agree to swap out drive under warranty, just amazed they do not have spare.
Thanks for the update. Such a shame you’ve not been able to get this resolved sooner and missed using your boat. Hopefully you get sorted soon.

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
I am using it … Volvo agreed I can continue using without impacting warranty claim. Just a lot of corrosion, and bubbling paint.