Correct oil for PCM stern drive

pontisteve

Recruit
I have an 87 Sunliner with a PCM stern drive (PSL20). Does anyone have a manual for this rare outdrive? I need to know what oil it takes.

I assumed it would take marine gear oil, but draining the old oil out, it sure looks like motor oil to me.

Attachments

• 0731221749c_HDR.jpg
    0731221749c_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

alldodge

Staff member
Found one other thread here on iboats talking about PCM outdrive asking the same question. No one knew the answer and suggested contacting PCM. Looks like it was only made for a few years

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I don't know, but I would fill it with 75W-90 syn-oil, 'n go boatin',....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you have any of the oil oil left you might send off a sample to Blackstone & let them tell you what it was….

kenny nunez

Captain
What type of gear engagement, clutch dog Mercruiser type or cone clutch like a Volvo or a marine clutch behind the engine?

pontisteve

Recruit
What type of gear engagement, clutch dog Mercruiser type or cone clutch like a Volvo or a marine clutch behind the engine?
All the shifting is handled in the Velvet Drive transmission. The PCM outdrive does nothing but transfer power from trans to prop.

When I drained it, about 4 liters of oil came out, but I can't tell what type of oil it was. It doesn't really stink like gear oil, making me question whether it was gear oil or engine oil. Some Volvo outdrives used engine oil, and this PCM outdrive clearly has Volvo DNA in it. I think it was made by Volvo for PCM.