cooking

FLATHEAD

Captain
@FLATHEAD ... per your request in the hunting thread ... (the one I have in the fridge has been swimming in the brine for 7 1/2 days now ... I will be there for another week. It is a deboned hind quarter that weights about 14 lb)

Venison Ham

Ingredients
  • 2-3lb venison hind quarter roast with most of the fat trimmed away (adjust recipe according to weight and don't be afraid to add or delete flavors to the mix)
  • 1 gallon water
  • 1.5 cup kosher salt
  • 1 cup brown sugar or Real Maple Syrup (not the corn syrup based junk) or Molasses (I generally do 1/2 brown sugar and 1/2 maple syrup)
  • 2.5 tbsp pink curing salt (1 oz per lb of meat)
  • 2 tbsp whole black peppercorns
  • 2 tbsp mustard seeds (or a pinch of ground mustard)
  • 2 tbsp coriander seeds
  • 3 bay leaves
  • Can add cloves of garlic if desired
Preparation
  • Mix all ingredients except venison in a food safe container, stir, and bring to boil. Allow to cool completely before adding venison and make sure it is submerged completely, adding weight to the top of the venison if necessary. (I like to do it in a 5 gallon bucket lined with a clean garbage bag. Tie the garbage bag tightly so the entire piece of venison is submerged.
  • Let brine for 7 days, or longer if you have time. The longer the better, a week for smaller hams and longer for larger hams (a 7-10 lb ham would be 8-10 days, etc). You can use a marinade injector to get the brine inside the meat if you don’t have the time to let it brine naturally, cutting down your marinade time slightly.
  • After brine, remove and place in Smoker with apple wood (maybe a little hickory or mesquite added to the mix) at 180 degrees for an hour or 2. Then raise the temp to 225F until internal temp reaches 150F.
  • Let rest for 20 minutes and enjoy! Or, chill in a fridge and slice thinly for sandwiches!
Thanks Art, going to give it a go.

aspeck

Staff member
Thanks Art, going to give it a go.
I don't think you will be disappointed! I did it last year for the first time for a church "pot luck" dinner. It was a LARGE hind quarter ... probably around 20 lbs of meat and it was GONE at the end. Even people who said they NEVER eat venison were going back for seconds and thirds.

FLATHEAD

Captain
I don't think you will be disappointed! I did it last year for the first time for a church "pot luck" dinner. It was a LARGE hind quarter ... probably around 20 lbs of meat and it was GONE at the end. Even people who said they NEVER eat venison were going back for seconds and thirds.
A girl I used to work with used to bring me a little taste of venison ham every year that a friend of hers made. Been wanting to try making it for a while now.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Nice looking dogs! The one on the right looks to be a beagle?
Actually they are 'twin' brothers, same litter. They were supposed to be beagles but near as the lady we got them from and I think, Gramma slipped out one night and hooked up with Mr Beagle rather than staying home with Grampa. George got lots of beagle looks at personality (very smart) and Fred got the basset side (not too bright). Our boy has another one of the brothers and he looks like an in between of these two. I've never seen the fourth one from that litter.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
can't get a decent bagel in our little town but walmart brand seeded rye is pretty good, especially the heel

1699649383404.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
took the neighbor kid (aka fake grandkid) to the local burger joint thats been here for about 70 years now

1699649457412.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
did an asian night last week, all from scratch no frozen boxed anything (packaged wonton wrappers and rice paper sheets for the spring rolls, not gonna even try to make those)

1699649545600.png

1699649559856.png

1699649589068.png

1699649605315.png

1699649618164.png

1699649630900.png

1699649643797.png

FLATHEAD

Captain
Love me some dried chipped venison gravy!
My friends think I’m nuts using backstrap to make dried venison. It’s the best cut for it. I would rather make pastrami or dried venison out of backstrap rather than cook it like a steak.

aspeck

Staff member
My friends think I’m nuts using backstrap to make dried venison. It’s the best cut for it. I would rather make pastrami or dried venison out of backstrap rather than cook it like a steak.
We used to get it made regularly ... haven't in many years ... usually a hind quarter or 2 would go to dried chipped venison. The place that did that for us burnt down and they didn't rebuild. I need to find another place to do this ... or do it myself ...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
so of course even when my food taste like crap i can usually make it look pretty for the public.

No coming back from this bacon catastrophe Yes, I have paid my penance to the Porcine God, who is always Just, Wise and Forgiving

1701017752668.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
this, however - can not NOT be called an indulgence. our friends chickens are back in production from a summer off. free range fed, only a scratch in the evenings to roost them up. so, so good. I've mostly taking to scrabling them which i never thought I would do but then my oft scramble with goat cheese is the s...

1701018167655.png