Converting to carburetor from mpi 350 mag

Scott06

Vice Admiral
All I have is distributor and old style coil cup, 3 wires coming out of the distributor white/red white/green and black those are actually coming out of the a sensor that is seated inside the distributor View attachment 372428
So if you dont have a TB ignition module because it was in the ecm the t bolt will not work. As suggested early on in this thread u will need to get two delco est setups to make this work, as even if you could rig up a TB module you will pay more for the modules than a complete delco est set up,

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
And the external TB ignition amplifier is where?

All you have is the distributor with the ignition trigger ( hall effect sensor)

The other half of the ignition system is usually bolted to the shift interupt bracket

Ignatios

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don’t have anything bolted to the exhaust elbow, the only thing on the exhaust elbow was the ECM and 2 relays and all came off… but excuse my ignorance I’m not all that knowledgeable with electronics what I don’t understand is the power starts with the coil then it moves to the module/distributor/sensor or amplifier so the coil is prior to anything else if no spark coming out of the coil how could anything after do what is supposed to do be it whatever… or am I understanding things wrong, again I’m just trying to understand how things works there.
I called Jess they said all o need is DUI HEI distributor it has everything inside it all I need is a one hot wire to it that’s all… is this true, anyone knows anything about this?
Thanks and God bless

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I don’t have anything bolted to the exhaust elbow, the only thing on the exhaust elbow was the ECM and 2 relays and all came off… but excuse my ignorance I’m not all that knowledgeable with electronics what I don’t understand is the power starts with the coil then it moves to the module/distributor/sensor or amplifier so the coil is prior to anything else if no spark coming out of the coil how could anything after do what is supposed to do be it whatever… or am I understanding things wrong, again I’m just trying to understand how things works there.
I called Jess they said all o need is DUI HEI distributor it has everything inside it all I need is a one hot wire to it that’s all… is this true, anyone knows anything about this?
Thanks and God bless
Davis unified ignition or the several times previously mentioned Delco est are two stand alone ignition systems that will work fine for your Application. Delco is more common in marine applications and used on some Volvos and mercruisers as OEM

The distributor sensor sends a signal to the module (was done in the ecm in your original application) to fire the coil ( build up energy then discharge at proper time to fire a spark plug). In electronic ignition like TB, Delco est, or DUI triggering is done by sensor in dist, module opens and closes voltage to coil and performs advance as rpm increases… your current setup has no module once the ecm was fried … get a Delco est and it will run …

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
DUI / Delco Voyager / Mallory YLM-624AV all about same price

Stock TB5 amplifier and knock sensors may be cheaper

Ignatios

Petty Officer 2nd Class
DUI / Delco Voyager / Mallory YLM-624AV all about same price

Stock TB5 amplifier and knock sensors may be cheaper
There is a knock sensor already in the engine where would that get connected to and which is the easiest to install… let’s say if I get the DUI would that be all I need to get the engine going or do I have to have let’s say another sensor or another module etc… ?
Thank you

Scott06

Vice Admiral
There is a knock sensor already in the engine where would that get connected to and which is the easiest to install… let’s say if I get the DUI would that be all I need to get the engine going or do I have to have let’s say another sensor or another module etc… ?
Thank you
Knock sensor will not be used with DUI or Delco set up. buy a Delco or DUI complete setup and that is all you will need

Scott Danforth

Staff member
DUI is self contained (with coil). Uses springs and weights for advance. Have to wire in switch and diodes for shift interupt is paired to alpha drive. Can not connect to knock sensor

Mallory is self contained (requires external coil,) Uses springs and weights for advance. Have to wire in switch and diodes for shift interupt is paired to alpha drive. Can not connect to knock sensors

Delco Voyager is self contained (requires external coil). Uses electronics for advance. Can not connect to knock sensor

Mercruiser TB 5 (separate dizzy/trigger and amplifier) designed to connect to knock sensor. Electronic advance

Ignatios

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What a wealth of informations!
Thank you all, you may or may not know it but your informations are treasure, thank you so much and Gid bless everyone of you… I actually did some research on everything been said here you are absolutely correct many threads and sites agree with what you said, I apologize for all these questions but I needed to learn and I did thank you again so I decided to go with the DUI only because everything is built in inside it and it seems easier. I will order it today and will let you know how it worked out.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep this is great info for people with older boats running into NLA parts issues. It is very fortunate that you can utilize simple tech to keep an otherwise good boat still going!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I now have a whole house lightning arrestor connected to my circuit breaker panel.

That is a surge protector, not a lightning arrester. If the line close enough to your house takes a hit, it is going to blow straight through that arrester like it isn't even there. Lightning rods are what you need, and unplug any expensive electronics during major storms.