Converting Lug Bolts to Lug Nuts

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer
Has anybody converted from lug bolts to studs and lug nuts? I recently installed Willwood disc brakes on a customers car and they use bolts that thread into the hub from the backside as studs. Is there any reason I couldn't do that on trailer hubs? Or could I drill the hubs and press in wheel studs? Which would you recommend? I don't want to replace the hubs just to convert to studs.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Converting Lug Bolts to Lug Nuts

If you can get them in there tight, I see no reason why you could not do it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You do not want to thread lug bolts into the hub from the rear because as you tighten the lug nut, there is a tendency to loosen the bolt. Buy the proper bolts, drill the hubs to an interference fit and pull the new bolts in, or press them into the hubs. If you insist on threading bolts from the rear, have a welding shop spot weld each one. And before you do that, make sure the heads of those lug bolts don't any brake parts.

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I don't know much, but I've tried it three times. Trailer I've got now came with bolts and didn't try it this time. They may be a bit of a pain, but they work a LOT better than the conversions I've tried. Why change?