Converting 150 Ficht to 175 Ficht

ericpeters68

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 19, 2007
Messages
2
I have a 1998 Evinrude Ficht 150 that I would like to make into a 175. Unlike in past models, where carburetion and exhaust tuning changed to get extra HP, the parts lists for these 2 motors appear the same EXCEPT for the ECU (and decals). Does anyone know how to reprogram the ECU (I.e. "hack" it) to make the 150 behave like a 175 or provide this as a paid service? What parameters does the ECU modify to get the extra HP? Timing? Injection pulse width?
 

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
8,200
Re: Converting 150 Ficht to 175 Ficht

You have a RUNNING 1998 Ficht V-6? Consider yourself one of the luckiest people on Planet Earth and leave well enough alone.
 

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
51,019
Re: Converting 150 Ficht to 175 Ficht

i totally agree if the ficht is running, time to sell it, and get a good motor. imho, that was one of OMC's biggest mistakes.
 

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Feb 4, 2001
Messages
16,978
Re: Converting 150 Ficht to 175 Ficht

CDI might be able to reprogram the ECU but it may not be legal. You'd have to check with them. After it's all said & done, you'll never see the difference unless it's on a high performance hull.
 

darren mac

Seaman Apprentice
Joined
Aug 11, 2008
Messages
38
Re: Converting 150 Ficht to 175 Ficht

Don't I was told that my mechanic actually made adjustments to my 1998 ficht computer to govern it so to speak. I was never able to get it over 4800 rpm. Later because of lightning I had to get a new computer and that motor ran on up to 5300 to 5500 rpm and blew on my 2nd trip to the lake after installing it. By the way it ran great with the modified computer for 5 years , If anything... slow that motor down if you want to keep it.
 
Top