considering a pontoon

southernboater

Seaman Apprentice
We are looking for our first boat. The 18 - 20 ft pontoon looks great for the family - fishing and relaxing. However, it will be used mainly in salt water. Is this a good idea for salt water use.

Thanks for any advice.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: considering a pontoon

with anodes, no problem. will it be moored or trailered. it trailered a good wash down will help to preserve it.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you look on Traderonline.com you will find many pontoons for sale from Saltwater. So I think you won't have anything to worry about. We have had 2 Pontoon boats and we love them.
Just get one with large logs and a good size engine.

southernboater

Seaman Apprentice

It will be trailered. Is the 60 hp four stroke about right for the 18-20 ft? I don't foresee tubing or skiing, but I would like to avoid regrets.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You'll be much happier with a 90, but a 60 will work ok.

divinginn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Go with a 20 ft,You cannot have too much room in a boat. 60 hp would be right for those sizes.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If your definately not in a hurry a 60 will do.Probably do about 15 mph
at about 4,000 rpm.Max for the 60 will be about 20-22 mph.
A 90 will produce more speed probably 26-28 with alot more fuel use.
However if you operate within the speed range of the 60 the 90 will be loafing
less wear and tear and comparable fuel use and that extra speed will be there if you need it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

go with what the boat is rated for, you don't have to use all of it, but nice to have when needed. i am installing a 140 on my 20 footer.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We have the 60 4 stroke Yamaha on our 21 Sweetwater and WOT is 21 mph and we cruise at around 15 mph, gps.
The 4 stroke hardly uses any gas compared to our old 2 cycle 50 hp Evinrude and is very quiet.
If you put a 60 on a 20 ft toon you should get around 22/24 mph

Jeep Man

Commander

I have a 20' with a 60 Bigfoot and do about 20 mph with one on board, less with more bodies. My only concern is the saltwater factor. Hose it off after use and you should be fine. I don't have a lot of experience with aluminium and saltwater but I wouldn't use carpet on your trailer bunks. Anything that can retail salt wouldn't be good to leave the boat sitting on. Just my opinion.

GDiamond

Cadet

I had a 07 G3 22' with a Yamaha 115 4 stroke. With the rps's running about
5600, my top speed (my wife and myself) was about 24mph (GPS) After leaving the boat in the water for a couple of weeks, algae covered the bottoms of the toons and the speed was reduced to about 19 mph. This was a two toon boat. I think the 60 hp would work just fine, if all you going to do is putt. I just don't see the point in going fast in a pontoon boat. But we don't pull anything and we are getting old. lol We bought a used 18' Bass Buggy w/ 40hp for puttin and fishin on our bayou where we live.

If you use it in salt water, wash the entire rig with soapy water after using it.

I have a alweld alum. bass type boat with a yamaha F60. When I fish the coast (marsh ) I wash the boat, motor and trailer and spray wd40 on anything that can rust. I also back the boat into fresh water, submerging the trailer and running the motor before I get home. Salt water is super bad on alum. I know what salt water will do a rig.

southernboater

Seaman Apprentice

I appreciate the advice so far. I feel like I'm heading in the right direction. However, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by the number of brand options. There seems to be the JD Powers top 3 and then everybody else. Any suggestions on where else to look for reviews. Also, new vs used. I like the price on the used, but there is security in a new warranty.

Thanks for helping a nubie.