Considering a 1995 horizon 220

J_A_S

Cadet
I’m thinking about selling my 16’ aluminum Starcraft and upgrade to a “fixer upper” 1995 Four Winns Horizon 220 with the 5.8 Cobra motor. I’m interested in upgrading to something bigger with the ability to carry more people. Interior in in decent shape with only a few small tears, trailer seems pretty good. The big drawback is the ad says the motor coupler needs replacing and the trim on the motor will need to be repaired. I’ve done a little research about changing a coupler and I understand that you have to pull the engine out, other than that is there any exceptional obstacle to replacing the coupler? In regard to the motor trim I’ve had to replace the entire trim pump/motor assembly on my Mercury outboard is is it a similar system on these inboards or is it a different animal? I guess if fixing the trim turns into one of those secondary priorities that gets fixed later can you still use the boat with the trim nit working? Lastly how good are these Four Winns with the 5.8 cobra? Do they tend to be good reliable machines, do they have any particular quirky issues to be on the lookout for?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How good is a Four Winns with 5.8 Cobra that is 26 years old really doesn't matter.

I think a 5.8 is a Ford - Strike 1.
Couplers often go bad due to rotted stringers and other rot - Strike 2.
Non-functional trim means dragging skegs up and down the ramp; if it's stuck up, no boating - Strike 3.
If you want, it's an OMC - Strike 4.

In my opinion - Game over.

J_A_S

Cadet
Well that was a good reality check, I really appreciate the insigh! I have a couple more generic questions, what do you mean by dragging skegs up and down the ramp? I’m not to farmiliar with inboards as I’ve only owned outboard. Also, what brand actually is it? I’ve seen the title “OMC” used with other brands like Volvo Penta which I take to be a pretty reputable motor, I take it the “Ford” 5.8 is generally not well liked?

matt167

Captain
OMC is outboard marine corp and they built Evinrude Johnson and Inboard outboards.. now a 1995 should be a Volvo SX hybrid of sorts but the Ford kills it.. Ford made a great marine engine but they gave it up in 1997. Parts are hard to get

jbcurt00

Staff member
If the tilt/trim doesnt work, assuming its down, you risk dragging the skeg (the pointy bit poking down below the prop) on the boat ramp loading/unloading the boat from/to trailer and when driving up & down the ramp while loaded

OBs and I/Os both have skegs,

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Well that was a good reality check, I really appreciate the insigh! I have a couple more generic questions, what do you mean by dragging skegs up and down the ramp? I’m not to farmiliar with inboards as I’ve only owned outboard. Also, what brand actually is it? I’ve seen the title “OMC” used with other brands like Volvo Penta which I take to be a pretty reputable motor, I take it the “Ford” 5.8 is generally not well liked?
not only are parts not available for the motor, the drive is also difficult to get parts for.

basically OMC has been out of business for a really really really long time.

back in 1995, Four Winns was an OMC brand. They not only used a lot of OMC motors, they were owned by OMC. the quality of the boat was not there.

the other issue. fiberglass boats are designed with a 15 year life expectancy. since the boat you are looking at is 27 years old, expect the rot and other issues that comes with a 27 year old OMC brand of boats.

Unless they give you the boat and about $4000-6000 it will cost to bring the boat back to life, I would pass. It will cost you $1000 for the motor/drive/coupler/etc and it will cost you over $3000 to fix the hull