Conservative or Liberal

treedancer

Commander
Re: Conservative or Liberal

Wow pointer what took you so long to get into the fray ?When I saw the topic I thought that you would be the first to answer. You could have just stated that you are a. libertarian and saved a little time.<br />I seem agree with most of what holdinhook and txs said .<br />I supported the war in Afghanistan but when that bunch of lies that was told to get us in to that quagmire come to light that pretty well put me on the Democrat side. Unfortunitly we will have to stay the course boy how I hate that word.<br />But no way should we have given George the second a another term to reward him for the pack of lies he fed us.

woodrat

Ensign

Wow! What a switch from the iBoats of last fall, when I was told at every turn that I had to be either a conservative or a liberal, shut up and pick a side, etc. Now it seems like there are several iBoaters who feel comfortable not following one party line or another, but just believing what they believe in, and so far no one shouting them down and accusing them of treason! And look how many perfectly average and "normal" Americans don't support the Iraq war! And not all of them seem to be limp-wristed liberal pinkos either...<br /><br />Who'd have thunk it?

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have to agree with most of Pointers post too: The problem is that the Libertarians are just another corrupt party. I don't belive in a <br />"Free Lunch" for everyone, don't work, don't eat.<br /><br />Pointer, too bad you can't vote for me next year for state assembly, got any friends that live nort of the people's Republic of Madison?

TilliamWe

Banned

Tinker er, you obviously only read what you wanted to. <br />You also misquoted me. Big difference bewtween EVERYTHING and ANYTHING. Look them up.<br />And if you for one second again ever insinuate that I don't believe in funding the American Military, we are gonna have real problems. That's one of the things I think the goverment should supply. It's in the first sentence of the Constitution. Ever heard of it? :rolleyes: <br /><br />And very good points, Pointer! :D

KRS

Banned

Tinkerer:<br /><br />Soldiers are Gov't property, and they deserve to be cared for.<br /><br />Civilians are required to care for themselves... or should be at least.<br /><br />There is a HUGE difference, don't know why you tried to correlate the two?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Tinker er:<br />Then I guess you'd agree that every soldier injured in Iraq should pay for their own field dressings; medic attention; RAP treatment; field hospital treatment; VA hospital; all subsequent medical bills; evacuation costs from the battlefield to home; and not to mention buying their own military equipment before they start their military training. We wouldn't want them relying on the government, would we? [/QB]
Tink I think your bent has carried you too far. There is a huge difference between a civilian relying/requiring/demanding that his neighbor should povide his daily bread and a soldier, who is effectively in the employ of his nation, to fight for it. <br /><br />You're going to have to find a much better arguement before you can turn this conservative into a 'card carrying' liberal.<br /><br />Besides that, providing for the defense of and caring for those involved is one of the few powers that this country's Constitution empowers it to do. What specifically it does not empower the government to do is to take money/property, by force, out of my pocket and effectively give it away to my neighbor. And that's the truth regardless of what PW whispers in your ear. :p <br /> <br />But hey! All is not lost. I love Fosters Lager :D

jspitzer

Cadet

The only thing I agree with is the social security part. If you put into it you should be able to draw from it.I work a full time job provide for my family put into 401k and have a pention, I also put into soc. sec. so I should be intitled, or am I being selfish?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by jspitzer:<br /> so I should be intitled, or am I being selfish?
everything you say makes sense js, except this. How can you be selfish if you ask to have what you paid for returned to you. The fact of the matter is that if we got privatization with mandatory participation, every dime you put in would grow exponentially faster than with SS and what there was left over after you died would pass to the heir of your choice. The current social security is nothing more than a ponzi scheme. The libs like to talk about our children having to pay for the national debt. That pales in comparison to what our children are going to have to pay for the ill wrought ponzi scheme called social security.

treedancer

Commander

What would be the determining point on which pension you would take? In my case I would have three pensions if you include the Roth era. I have put into social security for years.I will also be eligible for a company pension.

jspitzer

Cadet

pentions are hard to come by these days I'm glad to have one.but who's to say that's gonna be there when I retire. hopefully it will be,I'm gonna need a lot of money so I can go fishing and enjoy my retirement.

Tinker er

Cadet

Boomyal<br /><br />
Tink I think your bent has carried you too far.
A: Trouble with scanning stuff instead of reading it carefully is that on first pass I thought you were accusing me of being bent [Misread: 'I think your bent' as 'I think you're bent'] , possibly because of recent references to closets, not that I could care less about anyone being bent as long as they don't think I am. :D <br /><br />B; On more careful reading it was merely an accusation of going: Too far? Moi? Where have I heard that before? Now it's coming at me from the other side of the Pacific. :D <br /><br />
There is a huge difference between a civilian relying/requiring/demanding that his neighbor should povide his daily bread and a soldier, who is effectively in the employ of his nation, to fight for it.
I wasn't referring to daily bread. Come the revolution, I'm going to be the Commissar for Handing Out Daily Bread and there's going to be a lot of people learning how to work if they want to eat, and you'll be proud of me.<br /><br />Now for the serious stuff.<br /><br />What fired me up was TilliamWe's comment "I do NOT support medical care for all (especially children) in some form. Why is it the government's job to provide everything?" <br /><br />If the parents can't afford proper treatment for a sick kid, I reckon it is precisely the community's responsibility, through the government and taxation, to make sure the kid is treated. A society that thinks it's OK to let a kid suffer or die because its parents are poor is heartless and cruel.<br /><br />I reckon a decent society should guarantee its citizens as basic rights all the things necessary for a reasonable standard of safe and healthy living, including defence and health. <br /><br />I think I'm in reasonably good company thinking that government measures to secure the lives of its citizens, by providing health care as well as defence, have a bit of support in American constitutional principles, starting with the well-known and venerated document which started the whole process that led to the US Constitution:<br /><br />We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life ..... That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed ....<br /> <br /> <br /><br />What's different about expecting the government through taxation to fund a soldier to fight; or a policeman to enforce the law; or to provide clean water or sewerage systems, to protect all the children in the nation from harm and suffering and disease and, on the other hand, expecting the government to fund adequate health services to protect the same children from suffering or death through accident or disease? <br /><br />If the kids are worth soldiers dying for, aren't they worth funding health services for?<br /><br />Does it make sense, and is it fair, for people to support the government levying taxes to fund the military to stop kids being nuked but refuse to fund health services that will stop them dying from a disease because their parents can't afford medical services?<br /><br /><br />I'm coming from a different perspective and experience. We've had universal health coverage here for the past 30 years. Everybody gets whatever they need in the way of health care, although they may have to wait a while for major operations for conditions that aren't life-threatening, like hip or knee replacements. Some doctors charge just the amount they'll get from the government for ordinary consultations (coughs, colds, sore holes etc), others charge more but we still get most of it back from the national health fund.<br /><br />Our system has its flaws but the only way a sick kid won't get the treatment it needs is if its parents are too stupid to take it to the doctor.<br /><br />
You're going to have to find a much better arguement before you can turn this conservative into a 'card carrying' liberal.<br />
Oh, dear. Does this mean you're really not a closet liberal? I've had a few surprises in my life, but this has to be amongst the biggest. :D <br /><br />
But hey! All is not lost. I love Fosters Lager
. <br /> <br />Mate, I strongly suspect that you just like beer. Get yourself outside a VB if you get the chance. It's better than Foster's.<br /><br />Which reminds me, even further off topic, of a little ditty about Foster's. We used to have an ice cream which had the slogan "The health food of a nation". We used to sing to the tune of the ice cream jingle:<br /><br />Foster's Lager, Foster's Lager<br />Comes in bottles, cans or glasses.<br />It's the health food of a nation<br />Stick your ice creams<br />Up your a***s

TilliamWe

Banned

Tinker er:<br /><br />
I reckon it is precisely the community's responsibility, through the government and taxation, to make sure the kid is treated.
That is the heart of our differences right there. I don't think the "community" is the "government". So we'll just have to agree to disagree!

txswinner

Banned

I am so proud of myself, looks like a really good discussion and maybe we are a little more moderate and thinking than we see ourselves. Almost every opinion was based on a real thought process rather than anger and name calling. We are U.S. Citizens and if the politicians quit tearing us apart we are a strong group to contend with.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by txswinner:<br /> I am so proud of myself, looks like a really good discussion and maybe we are a little more moderate and thinking than we see ourselves. Almost every opinion was based on a real thought process rather than anger and name calling. We are U.S. Citizens and if the politicians quit tearing us apart we are a strong group to contend with.
A lot of truth in that statement. Esp the last sentence except its world wide from my experience, but your point is correct if the people of any given nation would just unite they could change their goverments way of doing things.<br /><br />Like thats ever going to happen! ;) <br />OK Im going back under my rock now where my world is safe and will peek out later.

woodrat

Ensign

On Privatizing SS:<br /><br />So if privatizing SS is such a good idea, why can't I just keep that $ and do what I want with it? I'm serious, not being sarcastic. If I were to be putting away $ for my retirement the way I thought was best, I wouldn't be putting it in the damn stock market, that's for sure! I'd be buying real estate, which of course, isn't part of ANYONE'S social security reworking plan.<br /><br />I think that steering all that $ towards Wall Street is more about pleasing Wall Street than fixing a "broken" system. As soon as someone comes up with a REAL privatization plan that gives me real freedom in my investment choices, I'm all over it and I don't care what party proposes it. But just setting it up so my only choices are the govt or Wall Street is a bogus choice.<br /><br />Being self employed, I get to pay the full 15% to FICA, and I could be making the payment on a nice rental house or piece of timber land with that $, not just handing it over to a bunch of wall street scammers and corrupt CEOs.

PW2

Commander

Well, there already is such a plan. It is called a 401(k) or a Roth IRA.<br /><br />Social security is not, I repeat NOT!!! , a retirement plan---it is a tax, pure and simple.<br /><br />Whether you like the plan or not, it pays for all sorts of social benefits, including disability benefits. Now whether you like this aspect of the plan is certainly open to debate, of course, but to suggest it is not a good retirement plan when on its face it isn't a retirement plan at all anyway is disingenuous.

KRS

Banned

Millions of seniors living off of the benefits paid to them by social security..... and it's not a retirement plan????????????<br /><br />If it smells like a fish... it probably is.<br /><br />It may be whatever you think it is or whatever it was meant to be... but for those seniors to whom it provides lifeblood, it's their retirement plan, plain and simple.

D

DJ

I am a Republican. However, as mentioned, I do not vote a straight ticket. I have found that many Dem's come over, to stay in office.<br /><br />1. Womans rights: <br /><br />Abortion is a scourge on this country. As for rape and others, I'm for the ending of the pregnancy, within limits. Remember, RAPE, is widely misused. Many, so called rapes, are consentual, until the woman changes her mind.<br /><br />NOTICE: I said "many" not all.<br /><br />We have a thing called, "Prevention" avaliable to every citizen-FREE. We choose not to use it because-we're lazy.<br /><br />We, as a country, are so wound up in womens rights that we forget that not all people are honest.<br /><br />2. Conservatism.<br /><br />-This means waiting till you can afford it, before you buy it.<br /><br />-National security.<br /><br />-The government is NOT your savior.<br /><br />-Governments, can and will become corrupt. This directly proportional to SIZE.<br /><br />-Government employees should NOT get a better lot in life just because they are employed by the government. Why can't the general public buy into the government retirement plan????<br /><br />-Elected officials should be that. Not some "kingdoms" created by giant election war chests and a dis-interested voters. The "political machines" we have created are the direct result of dis-interested voters. McCain/Feingold was a travesty.