Conservative or Liberal

txswinner

Banned
What am I and folks please limit this to political no family tree observations. <br /><br />I am a member of the Republican Party, I have never voted a straight ticket. <br /><br />I voted for Goldwater, Humphrey, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush and Kerry. <br /><br />I believe in women's rights. <br /><br />I support the death penalty. <br /><br />I support the attack on Afganistan and the continued search for Bin Laden and friends. <br /><br />I opposed the attack on Iraq and the continued war. <br /><br />I oppose NAFTA and CAFTA. <br /><br />I buy American vehicles only. <br /><br />I am a business owner with about 143 employees. <br />I support Social Security Insurance for those in need. <br /><br />I think those with good retirement incomes should not take social security money. <br /><br />I support medical care for all (especially children) in some form. <br /><br />I am confused help me figure out, am I conservative, liberal or what???

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Conservative or Liberal

I would call you an AMERICAN. Stop being confused.<br /><br /><br />Bob

txswinner

Banned

Thank you, really not confused just interested in all the labels and where others might think I fall. No place like the USA. I enjoyed your quote and I agree we should not give up our liberties.

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

Never cared much for labels. Like you, I don't seem to quite fit when you read the fine print. I would call you a free thinker. Ain't it grand?<br /><br />Dave..

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Now that's refreshing. There is a middle ground in the US afterall. Labels are good for nothing but stereotyping and bigoted arguing. It's surprising how liberal some Republicans are and how conservative some Democrats are. Alot of people are just confused and feel they need to pick a side. Not me either. No label fits.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're a wierd anomaly, go start a political party on a different planet. :p :D

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Txswinner, I share beliefs with you on about 90% of your stuff...with subtle differences...if and when I voted (not always, if I didn't care too much for my choices, I've sat out on occasion), I have voted for all Republican Presidents (but never a straight ticket), I happen to own all American cars but would have no objection to buying a foreign make if I felt it met my present needs, and I don't own my own business at this time.<br /><br />As for a label, how about this? I'm a "sometimes apathetic moderate conservative." Depending on the situation, of course! I believe that every side of every position has valid points that need to be considered, there are many more than two sides to most arguments, and very little in today's world is black and white.<br /><br />Most importantly, I truly love the USA.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I am fairly similar. I will vote for who I think will lead and benefit the country, not who the "popular kids" are going to vote for (I voted Bush the first time, big K the second time). <br /><br />I don't like the thought of handouts or free rides (welfare). <br /><br />I am all for small business. <br /><br />I support abortion (but not as a means of birth control, rape victims should not have to bear 9 months of carrying anything the rapist gave them, period). <br /><br />I obviously am a veteran, and military action gets my support, but it has to be SMART military action. <br /><br />I am not religious, and do not believe religion should ever be brought up in any political setting, ever. No one wants to hear my spiritual beliefs, and I don't want to hear yours. <br /><br />I'll buy whatever vehicle suits me, there is no such thing as an "American Car" in the day and age of global parts manufacture. <br /><br />I am all for the death penalty.<br /><br />I could care less about homosexuality. If they want to do it, knock themselves out. They are not less than or greater than anybody else.<br /><br />Anyone who calls me liberal or republican must want a smack about the head and shoulders, I am neither.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

JasonJ said:<br /><br />I support abortion (but not as a means of birth control, rape victims should not have to bear 9 months of carrying anything the rapist gave them, period). <br /><br />Huh?<br /><br />Edit: To be clear, I am totally against abortion, I think it's an evil act.

Link

Rear Admiral

txswinner<br />Your called a swing voter! An American :D <br />I think (and I could be wrong) that most of us when you really (put politics aside) are right up the middle for the most part on issues.<br /><br />I also have never voted for just one party<br /><br />IE: I think what they as "Partical birth abortions" are nothing less tan MURDER and both the Doctor and Mother should be hanged.<br /><br />On the other hand like JasonJ said in the case of rape there is NO-WAY that I think the woman should be forced into a nine month ordeal then have the child.<br /><br />So Im on both sides of the fence, like many other issues.<br /><br />Decieded to do a quick edit:<br />I said I have never voted for just one party and is true. But however that has changed after Jan 1 2005. see sig text

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

please consider my voting tendencies as Conservative independent.<br /><br />IMO strait party votes regarding the major elections are not respectable in that those pols who claim to be conservative, or claim to believe in or present the position I may hold, may be phonies, thus I will vote their opponent who has a record of a position that is favorable to my desires.

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

TXS, looks like you and I see pretty much eye to eye politically. My presidential votes mirrored yours except I voted for Gore (everything about W always struck me as seriously deceptive and phony, JMHO). <br /><br />I've never aligned myself with either party.<br /><br />I am a gun owner.<br /><br />I consider myself a religious person, however, I strongly believe it has no business in government or politics. <br /><br />I support the war in Afghanistan and the search for Bin Laden and his cronies.<br /><br />I love and support our magnificent men and women in the military, and because I love them, I am strongly opposed to the war in Iraq and resent the administration's deception of the American people leading up to it.<br /><br />I am opposed to NAFTA and CAFTA.<br /><br />I am personally against abortion, but I believe the government should stay the heck out of it and leave it up to the woman, her doctor, and her faith.<br /><br />I also believe that it is none of the government's business what people do in the privacy of their own homes.<br /><br />I believe in medical care for all and Social Security for those who need it.<br /><br />I believe we should make every effort to buy American.<br /><br />These beliefs are mine and mine only. If yours are different from mine, I may not agree with them , but I'll defend your right to have them. After all, this is America.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

I'm pretty much in the same camp as Holdimhook.<br /><br />In additon I support the death penalty but only under careful review and a proper and genuine appeals process.<br /><br /><br />I found this test interesting. I may have found if here, if so please excuse. Political belief test

TilliamWe

Banned

What am I and folks please limit this to political no family tree observations. <br /><br />I am a member of the Republican Party, I have voted a straight ticket. <br /><br />I voted for Bush, Dole, Bush and Bush. <br /><br />I believe in women's rights. <br /><br />I support the death penalty. <br /><br />I support the attack on Afganistan and the continued search for Bin Laden and friends. <br /><br />I support the attack on Iraq and the continued war. And think we need to go even further!<br /><br />I am not sure I like NAFTA and CAFTA. Too easy to just pack up plants and stuff.<br /><br />I buy American vehicles only. I actually know what vehicles are American made, hint Chevy Ford & Dodge build cars in Mexico & Canada!<br /><br />I am a salaried employee who supervises no one. My company has the right to get rid of me at any time, and I can live with that. I knew that when I took the job.<br /><br />I support Social Security Insurance for only those truly in need. I know the difference between SSI and Social Security Retirement. I also know why the program began in the first place, and it wasn't to give people comfortable retirement, it was to keep them from starving to death on a sidewalk!<br /><br />I think those with good retirement incomes should not take social security money!!! <br /><br />I do NOT support medical care for all (especially children) in some form. Why is it the government's job to provide everything? <br /><br />I am not confused! Everyone is responsible for themselves first and foremost. I don't believe in relying on the government for everything. <br /> :D

Tinker er

Cadet

Originally posted by TilliamWe:<br /><br />I support the attack on Iraq and the continued war. And think we need to go even further!<br /><br />I do NOT support medical care for all (especially children) in some form. Why is it the government's job to provide everything? <br /><br />I am not confused! Everyone is responsible for themselves first and foremost. I don't believe in relying on the government for everything. <br /> :D
Then I guess you'd agree that every soldier injured in Iraq should pay for their own field dressings; medic attention; RAP treatment; field hospital treatment; VA hospital; all subsequent medical bills; evacuation costs from the battlefield to home; and not to mention buying their own military equipment before they start their military training. We wouldn't want them relying on the government, would we? <br /><br />As you don't want people to rely on the government for anything, who do you think should be fighting the war you want in Iraq?<br /><br />You and other self-reliant people who can personally afford to equip and transport vast numbers of troops? <br /><br />Why aren't you there at your own cost instead of posting here?<br /><br />Check out the cost of equipping and training a grunt, plus all the armour, artillery, air, logistics and every other bit of support.<br /><br />It's a bloody sight cheaper to treat a hundred children with the worst diseases you can imagine. Not that anyone would want to do that, because that'd be a total waste of money and just encourage people to have children with cancer so they can sponge off the government. <br /><br />Anyway, it won't be your kid, because you can afford to equip a platoon, maybe even a company, as well as treating and educating your own kids regardless of what happens.<br /><br />I guess you've laid all the concrete on every road you've ever driven on, instead of being weak and relying on government to do it. Not to mention personally building all the flood works in the Mississippi Delta; designing and building your own moon shots; and conquering Europe in 1945. <br /><br />Get a grip on yourself, fer Chrissake!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Then I guess you'd agree that every soldier injured in Iraq should pay for their own field dressings; medic attention; RAP treatment; field hospital treatment; VA hospital; all subsequent medical bills; evacuation costs from the battlefield to home; and not to mention buying their own military equipment before they start their military training. We wouldn't want them relying on the government, would we? <br /><br />As you don't want people to rely on the government for anything, who do you think should be fighting the war you want in Iraq?<br /><br />You and other self-reliant people who can personally afford to equip and transport vast numbers of troops? <br /><br />Why aren't you there at your own cost instead of posting here?<br /><br />Check out the cost of equipping and training a grunt, plus all the armour, artillery, air, logistics and every other bit of support.<br /><br />It's a bloody sight cheaper to treat a hundred children with the worst diseases you can imagine. Not that anyone would want to do that, because that'd be a total waste of money and just encourage people to have children with cancer so they can sponge off the government. <br /><br />Anyway, it won't be your kid, because you can afford to equip a platoon, maybe even a company, as well as treating and educating your own kids regardless of what happens.<br /><br />I guess you've laid all the concrete on every road you've ever driven on, instead of being weak and relying on government to do it. Not to mention personally building all the flood works in the Mississippi Delta; designing and building your own moon shots; and conquering Europe in 1945. <br /><br />Get a grip on yourself, fer Chrissake! <br />
You just knew this thread had to take a turn to the retarded at some point. <br /><br />Lets see,<br /><br />I never recieved anything from the government.<br /><br />Paid for every dime of my education without gov. help.<br /><br />Lost jobs to government social engineering.<br /><br />Had girlfriend offered good grades by my college advisor for "favors". Government employee. Higher education eh?<br /><br />I would benefit from democratic programs but loath the government running my life.<br /><br />I donate directly to charity in the form of cash and time.<br /><br />I have been assaulted by teachers because my dad was on the school board and frequently found himself on the other side of the teachers demands. Government employee's.<br /><br />I was arrested and jailed by a corrupt judge. Government employee.<br /><br />I had all my belongings taken from me by the courts during my divorce precipitated by an unfaithful spouse. Government employee's.<br /><br />I have seen government healthcare and you all are complaining about it. Vet benefits.<br /><br />I have been fired 6 times and don't resent any of my bosses.<br /><br />I think homosexuality is an act and therefore doesn't qualify to be a protected minority class. It is an activity. No status granted.<br /><br />I buy american when I can figure it out.<br /><br />I think most government programs are vehicles for legalized theft.<br /><br />I support the war.<br /><br />I don't support using the military for police actions.<br /><br />I think the UN is totally corrupt and morally bankrupt. And we should throw it back to europe where they can lie to each other all they want, whenever they want.<br /><br />The death penalty is too kind. Prisons shouldn't have cable, weights, basketball courts, but should be in alaska turning big rocks into little rocks. Another sucessful government program.<br /><br />I think actions speak louder than words.<br /><br />I think we are all ultimately responsible for ourselves and not the government.<br /><br />I think government healthcare will be a complete debacle just like every other place it has been implemented.<br /><br />I know that separation of church and state is not in the constitution but protecting our boarders is. Government overstepping.<br /><br />I beleive each law passed is an infringment of my freedom. government overreaching.<br /><br />I think politicians are not in washington specifically to make laws but to enforce the ones we already have. <br /><br />I think we should always error on the side of personal freedom.

PW2

Commander

You guys all crack me up! You all seem to worry about NAFTA, and a buying anything made by a Mexican, and each and every one of you want to stop any illegal immigration.<br /><br />You want to deprive them of the opportunity to provide for their family at every turn, I guess. NAFTA is the best opportunity yet for getting the immigration problem under control--it's only been in place for about 10 years, and it will take some time, but attempting to deny a country's population the ability to provide for their families is a doomed strategy.<br /><br />It will take some time to develop a strong middle class in Mexico, of course, but once that happens they will become a larger market for more American products, and everybody benefits---and illegals will no longer be a problem, except possibly the drug smugglers...<br /><br />And Canada? you are worried about Canadian made vehicles? There are lots of vehicles sold in Canada that are only made in the USA, and of course the reverse is true in some cases. Why would it make any sense at all to require the auto companies to build duplicate plants in Canada and the US just to offer the same models to both markets???<br /><br />Aside from being self destructive, that notion is just plain silly...

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by dakk1:<br /> Never cared much for labels. Like you, I don't seem to quite fit when you read the fine print. I would call you a free thinker. Ain't it grand?<br /><br />Dave..
I assume you are referring to me. I take that as an honor. <br />And txswinner I read with great respect your accounts of your voting and beliefs. If we had more people in this country like you, we would be in good shape. I mean, compassionate, considerate people, with concern for others and the ability to think for themselves. I am not intending to agree with your views, just respect them, even though I do agree with most of them.