Confused: Electric brakes for marine use?

dearmosd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have read a lot of posts and many people use electric brakes for freshwater use. But all trailer stores tell me i can not use electric brakes for marine use. I asked if there was a specific marine use electric brake parts but doesn't seem that way.

So does electric brakes and marine use (freshwater) use okay?

I have heard people unplugging brakes when they dip into the water, is that a safety thing for electric brakes or personal preference.

I dont trailer that much maybe 2-4x year /c 4hr or less travel.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Confused: Electric brakes for marine use?

Electric brakes are fine for use in the water. I've used mine for years without issue. Sometimes in their zeal to be helpful, counter sales people give you misinformation. I leave my brakes plugged in while launching. As part of the 7 pin harness with my LED lights, I have no problem at all. I used to unplug when launching, but only because I used to have hot filament style light bulbs. Mechanical surge brakes don't work on a launch ramp, by the way, because they work off the forward pressure of the trailer pushing on the tow vehicle. I believe you need to take additional measures to back up with surge brakes on level ground or backing up a hill, because of the pressure exerted between the trailer and tow vehicle applying the brakes. I think hydraulics may be best in saltwater where electrics probably wouldn't last. - Grandad

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

There are fewer moving parts than hydraulic drum brakes, and no seals to fail on electric brakes. Unless you have galvanized parts on your surge brakes, electric are better in salt water, IMO.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Don't see why electric brakes can't be used for boat trailers. Chaparral has electric brakes on the trailers they provide. I mean, if that were the case, you couldn't tow your electric brake trailer in a rain storm. ;)

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have heard people unplugging brakes when they dip into the water, is that a safety thing for electric brakes or personal preference.

Most people do that to protect their lights/bulbs. Hot bulbs can sometimes burst when exposed to cold water. I have never unplugged my trailer when launching/loading and have never had a problem. Personal preference I guess.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I installed electric brakes on my boat trailer (that only sees fresh water). Very simple brake assembly, Brake Drum, wiring, then 7-pin connector install. Lots of You-Tube videos showing electric brake installation. Only thing to remember about electric brakes into un-plug the 7-pin connector BEFORE backing trailer down the ramp. Electric brakes (and "live" 12V light assemblies) doesn't like repeated dunkings in water. They will take in/out dips but for best long lifespan, unplug the 7-Pin connector before backing trailer into water.

Electric brakes works for my needs.... Never had issue with electric brakes and fresh water dippings.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I've had both.... I LOVE LOVE LOVE my electric brakes... they even work under water!

EZ loader sells new boat trailers w electric brakes on them btw

Tell the tards behind the counter that Smokeonthewater says "shut up and run the cash register"
LOL

12vdc is ok to use underwater as the resistance in water is to high for low voltage dc to overcome. Electric brakes work by magnetizing a coil that is dragged against the drum (not mechanically but magnetically) which pulls the brake lever in the wheel so its already in a terrible area full of heat and dust so a little dip in the water would seem like a holiday for it.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Yeah, this is something you will have to get used to, lots of people in a position of knowledge that should keep their mouth shut, there is nothing wrong with electric brakes on a boat trailer. There is something wrong with some people who don't know much about anything, and are to stupid to shut their yaps.

Now there are those that prefer one type of brakes over another but its a personal preference, there is no type that is better, just that each has advantages one way or another. Personally I prefer brakes, much better then none.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

One thing to keep in mind, most of the electric brakes on smaller boat trailers are not setup for 'breakaway' capability, or if they are, the owner long ago forgot there was a battery you have to maintain/replace. Some states may require that capability on any trailer that needs to have brakes.

(yes, there obviously are going to be some set up, but the majority of e-brake boat trailers that I've seen either don't have it, or aren't functional)

Breakaway Kit Installation for Single and Dual Brake Axle Trailers | etrailer.com

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Good point ^

I have my break away cable hooked to one of my safety chains... it will pop just before the chain gets tight..... not sure if that's exactly proper but works great... by the way EACH of my safety chains has a breaking strength of over double the weight of my boat n trailer

On any trailer with electric brakes you should test the break away each time you hook up...

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I think electric brake would be the preferred choice in my opinion. However, I recently helped, okay actually rebuilt, my neighbor's electric brakes on his travel trailer. And for the record, three of the four (tandem axle trailer) were completely rusted solid and not working at all... So if you do use electric brakes for any type trailer, just make sure they are serviced and not rusted solid. Maybe even paint the parts inside the drums for added service usage. JMHO! :joyous:

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Regardless if electric drum, disc or hydraulic (or electric disc), the trailer brakes must be service properly. As a minimum, I pull the hubs off each of my trailers (RV, utility, boat) each spring (after their winter storage months), inspect, clean and re-grease them. For proper care of brakes, surf:

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/Service_Resources/Maintenance_Schedule_3-13.pdf

IMO, brake shoes, drums and disc do "over rust" because they are not routinely & serviced proper. And, people are stupid about it as well. Take for example at my my seasonal camp site... Many times, I seen folks back up to a trailer sitting in the mud for 5+ years, connect its 7-pin wire, check lights (lights only), then pull away. They don't pull wheel hubs OFF to check inner drums, they don't check brake away switch and they didn't even check tire air pressure. These educated people who know better...

If one has trailer brakes, the above Dexter PDF file can be used for your proper maintenance inspections guide as well...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I have my break away cable hooked to one of my safety chains... it will pop just before the chain gets tight.....

Sounds like a good plan as long as you have some type of clip, not an S-hook, on the end that attaches to the vehicle. S-hooks can't be trusted, they might work when the time comes, or the jolt might just knock them off.

(I've been guilty of that more than once. I hook up the safety chain (with the S-hook), and sometime later I hear a jingling that is pretty much instantly recognizable as a chain hanging on the ground.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

my hooks are forged slip hooks with spring loaded latches.... overkill but just the way I like it

2YNW8_AS01

Bartine

Petty Officer 3rd Class

my hooks are forged slip hooks with spring loaded latches.... overkill but just the way I like it

2YNW8_AS01

The proper way to hook up the safety cable is to pull it from the activator, loop it through the spot for the safety chains and then through itself, and then plug it back into the activator.
faq045_ll_tn.jpg

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I suspect his has more to do with lights than the brakes. With the old style bulbs, is a good idea to unplug them before backing in the water. I burnt quite a few out this way, forgetting to unplug. With the new style LED lights it really doesn't matter.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

The proper way to hook up the safety cable is to pull it from the activator, loop it through the spot for the safety chains and then through itself, and then plug it back into the activator.
View attachment 199063
and remove/replace all of my plastic cable guides each time as well.... hmmmm NOT gonna happen LOL

My brakes pop about 8" before my chains go tight..... Gonna have to call it good enough as is ;)

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Electric disc brakes? Never seen them before.

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have read a lot of posts and many people use electric brakes for freshwater use. But all trailer stores tell me i can not use electric brakes for marine use. I asked if there was a specific marine use electric brake parts but doesn't seem that way.

So does electric brakes and marine use (freshwater) use okay?

I dont trailer that much maybe 2-4x year /c 4hr or less travel.

I've been running them with a set with a Prodigy P2 controller for two seasons and I love it. My old surge brakes were shot and it was much cheaper and easier to repair with electric verses the surge system. I usually try to unplug them while dunking, but I must admit I have forgotten at least 4 times and they are no worse for the wear. Also, I went with Dexter's Nev-R adjust brakes which so have worked out great!