Confused about tank fuel fitting diameter

gilera

Seaman
I have a 115hp OMC crossflow from the 70s. People say that you should use 5/16" fuel hose or even 3/8" but the brass OMC tank fittings only come with one size bayonet which is 1/4" diameter with 4 little holes in the end where the fuel comes out. The female connector comes in 5/16" or 3/8" tail sizes however. I carry two tanks so don't want to use brass tail with hose clamp directly on the tank. I know I could use a different branded quick connect but this just seems strange to me. The brass tank fittings don't mention horsepower rating limits on any of the brands. Given that the flow is limited by the smallest diameter wouldn't this potentially cause fuel starvation at WOT on larger motors?

While i'm on the subject, I notice that the tee between the fuel pump and carb has all 1/4" diameter tails so the 5/16" hose connecting from the fuel pump is connected to 1/4" ID fitting. The tails that go to the 2 carbs seems less crucial as they are only feeding one carb each. Would seem to me that with these restrictions you may as well use 1/4" right through. Am I missing something here?

flashback

Captain
I understand your thoughts. I also feel it's a bit like making available fuel if needed.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have a 115hp OMC crossflow from the 70s. People say that you should use 5/16" fuel hose or even 3/8" but the brass OMC tank fittings only come with one size bayonet which is 1/4" diameter with 4 little holes in the end where the fuel comes out. The female connector comes in 5/16" or 3/8" tail sizes however. I carry two tanks so don't want to use brass tail with hose clamp directly on the tank. I know I could use a different branded quick connect but this just seems strange to me. The brass tank fittings don't mention horsepower rating limits on any of the brands. Given that the flow is limited by the smallest diameter wouldn't this potentially cause fuel starvation at WOT on larger motors?

While i'm on the subject, I notice that the tee between the fuel pump and carb has all 1/4" diameter tails so the 5/16" hose connecting from the fuel pump is connected to 1/4" ID fitting. The tails that go to the 2 carbs seems less crucial as they are only feeding one carb each. Would seem to me that with these restrictions you may as well use 1/4" right through. Am I missing something here?
A 1/4” fuel line will provide enough fuel for 400+ hp. Look at the diameter of the metal fuel line in your vehicle.

The reason for the larger hose sizes is pressure drop between the tank and the fuel pump.

OMC says 5/16” fuel line up to 115 Hp

Wouldn't worry if you talking about a couple feet of fuel line