Concrete Garage Floor, Epoxy over radiant heated floor

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all- I wanted some advice on how I should finish my garage floors in my new construction garage.

I currently live in the North East (Connecticut) and think I may have a moisture issue because my home’s basement walls are painted with some sort of moisture barrier paint that is peeling. I also have a sophisticated basement drainage system, telling me the prior owners had basement water issues. The ground around my house (although on top of a hill) is regularly moist. The garage is around 30’ away from the house.

I have read that epoxy (Polyaspartic) garage floor paint may peel if there is moisture underneath them. Does it matter if I have radiant heat built into the garage floor sitting on top of a 2” foam moisture barrier? Should I go with tile in the garage instead? I have had a garage with those plastic floor and wasn’t crazy about them. Any advice is appreciated.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Personally I sincerely think this is a spring/summer project. I understand exactly your situation. My suggestion is to visit a car dealership and find out if they have epoxy or coated floors and ask who is the installer. Around here all the dealerships have epoxy coated floors and we have real wet crap weather and salts/brines all winter. (I am in central VT). My only complaint is how slippery they gat and so does my smooth garage floor with a tiny bit of oil and water. The installer can probably suggest and give you good feedback then you can DIY and what type of surface you want to install.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Either material will have issues if moisture gets under the installation. Tile would be more prone to porosity related issues than paint.

My suggestion from past experience (advise of concrete finisher) is to apply a quality, penetrating sealer soon after the slab is poured. The operative word is quality......had to travel over State lines to buy an quality concrete sealer do to VOC restrictions in my State. From here, you can apply the floor covering of your choosing.