Concerned about owning a Volvo...

qmrichardson

Seaman
I recently purchased an 07 boat with a 5.0 volvo, and have been told that they aren't as good as the mercruiser. Can someone please point me to some good links where I can learn about the volvo engine? Thanks

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Concerned about owning a Volvo...

I believe the Mercruiser and Volvo to be the same, and in some respects of accessories to be Superior. I've worked on used boats for about 6 years mainly 2000 and older, I've seen some new mercruisers and my nephew owns an 08 VP with a 5.0 and I love everything about it, from the Carb selection, to the intake manifold, Exhaust design, water drain and expecially the Oil Filter placement and ease of Re-placement.

The mercruiser carb 5.0 uses a low-rise intake where the 5.0 VP uses a High Rise intake manifold giving it more top end power. ( i think )

-regards

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Concerned about owning a Volvo...

I recently purchased an 07 boat with a 5.0 volvo, and have been told that they aren't as good as the mercruiser. Can someone please point me to some good links where I can learn about the volvo engine? Thanks

The engines are virtually the same (GM Powertrain)

Volvo stern drives are considered by many, to be "better" than Mercruiser.

Mercury sells FAR more engine/drive combinations in the US.

There's probably more after market parts available for Merc but yours is fairly new so you shouldn't worry about that.

Congrats on your "new" boat!!

Cheers,

Rick