Computer

chumbucket

Petty Officer 1st Class
Calling all computer guru's or any body. What would problem be as to why its taking my computer to get connected on line. I have AOL. It only gets connected when it feels like it.Sometimes 10-15 trys before it goes on thanks

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Computer

Second that! AOL bites the big one...there are so many other ISPs out there , why settle for lousy service and high costs!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

ps. if you can afford it get a cable modem<br />from your cable co... you won't believe the<br />difference!!!

ebbtide176

Commander

that sounds typical of AOL, according to the relatives I have that use AOL to link up to the internet. there may be a heavy load on the ISP and your session is timing out. i guess your response might be to call up the company who set it up for you and make complaints. you might need to have them go over your computer settings.<br /><br />if you're using a dialup service you might want to check around on other providers and pricing. if you have several phone lines and kids who like to talk on the phone alot, look into changing over to a DSL connection. cable modems are very nice/fast also, that's what i use at home. you just call up your cable co for pricing on that, and the cost is added to your monthly cable bill, many even lease the modems to you.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

my cable co. (time warner) also provided free<br />in-house set up/ installation. you can add more<br />computers, each with their own e-mail for an<br />addl. $5.00/mo. I bought a $25.00 home networking<br />kit at circuit city which includes a 4 port hub<br />and ethernet cards and cables and now have 2<br />networked computers. (it's really easy)<br />you are always connected, don't have to dial up.<br />took out the extra phone line ($25/mo) and that<br />payed for the extra cost of cable. it's definately the way to go IMHO!

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

If you go will a LAN system, you'll need a good firewall and virus protection. You wouldn't want to leave your computor on or use it as a server either(can be done, I know,but not recommended)

Emby

Seaman Apprentice

I agree with everything already said before. Go cable or DSL if you can get either and are willing to go the extra cost. If you can't get either, ISDN is an option, but it is more expensive when you compare the speed you get to what you will pay. About once a year or so, a company will typically offer specials that have free installation, or a free router, or some other freebie. If the offer isn't running when you're ready to upgrade, ask for it anyway. Most times you'll get the freebie.<br /><br />Verify your cable company does not have a shared network. Some small cable companies still use shared networks and you can see/get to all of the other cable network users in your area and they can see/get to you. This only still exists in a very few (small?) cable companies, it used to exist everywhere.<br /><br />Also note that cable is shared bandwidth. That means that your access speed will slow down a little every time another cable user gets put on that same length of cable. This is usually a noticeable problem, but not a bothersome problem, but be aware it can/will happen.<br /><br />DSL is probably a better way to go. It uses your existing phone lines and you typically have options on how fast a connection you want (faster = pay more).<br /><br />One other consideration - Cable goes through your cable TV company provider, DSL goes through your phone company provider. If Internet access is important and your provider goes down, so does your Internet. In my area of Oregon, for phone service, you have either Qwest or Verizon. You don't get to pick, you get one or the other depending on your neighborhood. Qwest is well known for long outages and poor customer service.<br /><br />* * * Get a real firewall for either. There are some devices out there that the manufacturers call firewalls that are NOT real firewalls (about $99 retail). If it only does NAT (Network Address Translation) and offers no/little other protection, get something else.<br /><br />On the AOL front.... A very few years ago, I had a buddy (Joel) using AOL; I never have. When Joel sent me an email, it took about 5 seconds to get from his computer to mine. (Pretty good!) When I sent Joel an email, it took about 3 days (yes, DAYS) to get to him. In doing some traces we found that it hit inside AOL in about the same 5 seconds, and then bounced around between AOL servers for awhile (a long while) before finally getting to him. We were able to repeat this at will sending from different non-AOL ISP’s and email addresses. He complained to the AOL folks, but as far as I know it was never resolved.<br /><br />There are a lot of folks out there that use and love AOL, so AOL has to be doing something right. As for me, from home, all I need and want is vanilla 56k modem Internet connectivity, without any bells and whistles. So I don’t use AOL. I also pay a lot less too.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

PSS. I can still access AOL if I wanted to.<br />(of course I don't) and DSL requires a phone<br />line which is $25/mo. <br />let's do the math... AOL is $25, phone line is<br />$25....a cable modem is less and much faster.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Chumbucket, there is a lot of good advice here. Obviously Cable modem or DSL are good high bandwidth options. They can be more than double your dial up in some areas. Most of the problems I see with getting connected are as follows.<br /><br />1. Make sure you are not getting a busy signal. Try dialing the number from your phone.<br /><br />2. Win modems. Most of the modems out there are use mostly software to emulate a modem. The Modem card only has one chip on it. Under windows 95 and 98, they are not very stable. Non Winmodems are expensive. Try the other options below first.<br /><br />3. Line noise. Noise on your phone line. May be inaudible but still there. If you here any crackling, call the phone company and have them fix.<br /><br />4. Provider's equipment. Some providers still use old equipment that does not work well with win modems. Try another provider. If you don't use the rest of AOL's services, this is usually the best option to try. When you do try a new service, only pay for a month or ask if they have a trial period. Test to make sure connection improves.<br /><br />Where I live, we just upgraded to the big Swanson Chicken soup cans from the small campbells. Yep, backwoods will not have cable or DSL for the next 2 to 3 years. In this next week, I have to configure a computer for my parents and the connection and the modem are the biggest possible problem areas. Not lloking forward to it since I will support them from 3 states away.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Scoop is right about this. AOL is not as bad as people are claiming. I've been an AOL member for 3years with zero problems with connects.<br />Around Christmas of 2000,there was a period of time where it would go thru the 6 numbers before it found one not busy. They simply added hubs two weeks later,and now it rarely cycles to the second number,connecting on the first.<br />I think you may find the problem is in your modem or phone line. If you are using the same line as your voice phone, it is kicking you off every time someone tries to call you voice.<br />Go to "setup",and add *70 to the numbers it dials.This will deactivate "Call waiting" feature, which will bump you offline whenever it hears that "BOOOP".<br /><br />Pick up the phone receiver, and dial 3. Listen.<br />You should hear absolutely nothin. If you hear pops and crackles, you have a noisey line. The phone company can help you find where the problem is.<br /><br />Your modem may be going bad.<br /><br />Research these before switching ISPs, because, otherwise, it's like pickin fleas with a 12gauge.

petryshyn

Commander

chumbucket<br /><br />It has been my experience, as noted above, that cheap win modems are slow and unstable. If you have an older computer, and have ISA slots available, purchase a "real" modem. Yes, you get what you pay for and US Robotics are the best. Aopen makes a cheap alternative that we have had success with. If you already have an ISA 56K modem, go to the OEM's website and download the latest drivers. Sometimes it'll address certain inconsistancies and set you free!<br />I've struggled with dial-up for years. Now into ADSL. I'll never go back......experience the internet the way it should be.....

SharkByte

Cadet

chumbucket, lot's of good suggestions posted here. My favorite is DSL w/ LinkSys combo and a good ISP. DSL may not always be as fast as cable, but the security factor is much better (you're not sharing wires or bandwidth).<br /><br />You have just discovered why it's known as AOHELL to us computer guys. Good luck.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Schematic, unfortunately US Robo has gone the way of the winmodem also. The pictures of their products on the web show the real modem, but when you open the box, they are winmodems. Because no Broad band service will ever be brought to my town, I bought an external US Robotice v-everything. That is the only way I could make sure I did not get a winmodem. I can say it was expensive, but all problems stopped and my speed increased. If you have a newer operating system like Win2000 or XP, the winmodems work much better, but it still may have a problem with the equipment on your providers end. If you go with Cable or DSL, you absolutely have to get a firewall!!!!!! (read previous posts for suggestions) Your service is on all the time and you computer will get "questioned" (pinged) by other computers at least 10 times a night. 30 to 40 on a weekend night. Some of these are good natured "bots" sent to find new links for the search engines, but all the others are people looking for computers to dig into. You will not even know. In addition, go to the Microsoft site and get the updates installed for your version of Windows. Microsoft makes it easy. They just announced another critical update yesterday to prevent a hacker from taking over your computer. Here is a link.<br /> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

leave it to us propeller heads to make a mountain<br />outa a molehill...most folks don't even know about<br />firewalls (or care).<br />all they care about is getting on-line quickly<br />and fast downloads.<br />the real point here is don't keep any files stored<br />on your puter that you wouldn't want to get into<br />someone else's hands. make sure to do online bus.<br />on a secure network with an E-protected credit card..... always remember, BUYER BEWARE!<br />if you are stupid, people will probably take advantage of you even if you don't have a computer... :( <br />secure networks is a whole other subject.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your right Mellow. That's why people have problems with us geeks sometimes. Too much information, not enough answer.