Compainionship with Dogs

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Having some friends over the other night, we were talking about how much of our lives have been with a family dog. The conversation turned to how many years have we spent without a dog in the family.<br /><br />A few said they just couldn't deal with the work associated with keeping them. Most of us said that we have spent most of our time with a dog.<br /><br />Out of 48 years, I have only been with out one for 3 years while I was in the Navy. Having a dog around just seems natural to me. <br /><br />Just curious how long some of you have lived without the companionship of a dog.?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Compainionship with Dogs

SS, as long as I can remember, there has always been a dog in my life.<br /><br />Even when I was little. There are some pictures that my mother has of me and my brother in a fenced in "yard" with a small dog with us.<br /><br />And now I raise Rotts and have 2 Jacks in the house and I would be lost to death without them.<br /><br />That's the only downside to owning a pet is you get so attached to them. :(

FSHKPR

Ensign

Have always had a dog around too. the golden retriever i have now is 14 years old. has a tumor on his leg the size of a plum. hips are going bad. cant hear nothing and his eye sight is going down too. i know i should have put him down months ago but its just too hard. he really is not suffering yet so i just keep putting it off. I keep saying this is the last dog and when he goes we will not get another one. problem is i said that 12 years ago when the last one died..

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I agree with ya spinner, I get completely unconnected with the world it seems when I loose the family dog for any reason. After all they are an important member of the family. (they are the only member of the family that won't talk back)

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Spent 2 1/2 years without one after Taffy was put down (at 17 years... that's 119 in dog years!!). Finally got over losing her and got ol' Brutus. Been a lot happier since, and I'll NEVER go that long without a faithful friend again.<br />
th_Brutus_and_the_sprinkler.jpg
<br />(edit: thought I'd add a pic)<br />And, SS, he DOES talk back! If I tell him to do something he doesn't want to do, he'll give me a protest growl or yap. For instance, if he doesn't want to make a turn I want to make while walking him, he'll grab the leash in his mouth and try to yank it out of my hand. Great dog, good disposition and fun to play with!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I had no dog for a couple years right after the wedding while we lived in apartments, other than that, always. <br /><br />Raised a Dachsund, Rudy Kabouti, from puppy to grave, and let me tell you that little dog was absolutely fearless! I guess in the wild a dog will go off on its own when its time comes, but in the city we have to make that decision, and man does that hurt! <br /><br />Now I have Dusty (full name Dusty Crocket, King of the Wild Frontier), a big yella dog, a great dog. He has this way of manipulating his eyebrows that make him so expressive it's unnerving.<br /><br />He wants to sleep in the master bedroom but the wife & I both get sore throats (tiny bit of alergy). When I come to bed I just whisper "go to bed Dusty;" he looks up with that look (you know the one); I just shake my head slowly and whisper "sorry, Dusty" and he gets up a plods to his bed in the other room.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

We had a couple of Westhighland Terriers over a 22 plus year span. Fergus (the last one) passed away a year back.<br />A few months back our 2 yr old Airdale Terrier developed an infection between the ribs and the lungs and died under an operation.<br />Since then we have been without a dog. My wife says she can't handle the loss of another one.<br />Must admit, life is a bit strange without them.<br />Maybe soon things will change back. Hope they will.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

An interesting topic, that draws-out memories of all my dear friends over the years. Every time I loose a best buddy like "Hoser" (1982-1996), I swear-off the beasts forever. <br />But then, the wife drags-home another one. I tell her right then, "fine. If you insist on having another flea-bag arund, you will care for it 100%.I won't be so much as feeding it!". <br />The last thing I need is to go thru that grieving process one more time.....<br />Next thing I know, the little critter is curled-up in my armpit in bed, and licking my forhead, telling me in doggy language, that I have to get up and get ready for werk.<br />How can I stay detached from such love and loyalty?<br />Bambi, our little mini pin, is now my shotgun everywhere but church and werk. The only problem in the back of my mind is, I'm reminded of how short they live. Bambi is young, even by doggy-standards. But someday soon, the inevetable loss will come and rip a part of our souls away, as Hoser, Hush Puppy, Tranque, Phideaux, smellster and the others that have gone.<br />To own a dog is to be protected, loved, depended-upon, entertained, annoyed, and not prepaired for the inevitable, no matter how much you try.

11 footer

Lieutenant

Luckey.jpg
<br /><br />I've lived with the same dog since I was about two years old. Her name is Lucky, she already have the name when my dad got her and when he wanted me to re-name her I didn't want to change it. We have had her since she was a puppy, her mouther belongs to my dads friend and we see her often.<br /><br />About five years ago she had an operation on one of her back legs because she had a tumor on it, then it came back. Three operations later ( 1,200 a per time) it still grew back. They couldn't get some of it out because it was around a intesten(sp) being it was just a fatty tumor they said it shouldn't bother her, but to make sure she was going to the bathroom normal. That was a few years ago and she is still fine, other then that she has no health prolbems, her hearing and eye sight seem fine.<br /><br />The thing I like most about her is the way she lisens. I can take her anywhere without a leash and she stays by my side no matter what. One time she got thrown out of my whaler and swam to the side of the river and waited for me to pick her up :D <br /><br />She is 13 years old, so her time with us is limited, but her mouther is still alive at 15, so she has good jeans. I hope she has a few good years left, I'll really miss her when she's gone.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Its been a few months since we had to put our dog down. Sure feels empty around here still! <br /><br />But the urge to get another dog has not hit us yet. Old Shad girl would be a tough act to follow, thats for sure!!! <br /><br />We sure do miss that dog more than we ever thought we would.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Had one for as long as I was growing up. Moved out and didn't have one for a couple of years, got married and within a year had a cocker spainiel "Murphy". 7 years later got divorced and Murphy went with her. Two years later couldn't live without one, so enter Hanna. Golden retriever made me second guess my decision many a time but she has come around to being a really outstanding friend and a damn good dog. <br /><br />Can't see myself without a dog ever again.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Ryan T<br />Is that a Cairns Terrier?<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I grew up with hunting dogs(Labs,German Shorthairs,Springer Spaniel) and they were so good with we kids. Alot of good memories with those dogs.Didn't have a dog of my own for probably 15 years due to apartment living. Then married Hubby in 1997 and he had Buddy, our Rotweiller and oh what a sweetie he was. We also acquired Elijah, our little spaniel, about 5 years ago. Another sweetie who follows me wherever I go. Lost Buddy in that terrible incident this year and still really miss him alot. Molly,we think part Chinook or Canadian Eskimo, came in our lives about a month ago. Oh my gosh! She is so sweet and gentle and one of those hugging dogs. She doesn't let me out of her sight and is a great watch dog. So affectionate. She and Elijah get along great. He's in love! So, we got her spayed last week and she is doing well after that. I just love dogs. They add warmth and love to my life. So, even though its difficult to lose them they are so precious while we have them. <br />Bassy

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I've always had australian border collies,but since we moved to the suburbs,I could not see how these dogs would have the kind of life they deserve.So for now no dogs.I will never have any dogs except for borders.

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

Got my first dog when I was 18 years old. He was two weeks old and I was mamma and bottle raised him. He was with me until his death at 14 in 2000.<br /><br />I refused to get another dog. Wrinkles my beagle was my dog that my wife learned to love. He went everywhere with me except work.<br /><br />I put him down after a very shot illness...lymphoma.<br /><br />My wife kept saying how she wanted another dog. About 4 months after Wrinkles, I got Max.<br /><br />I did not want Max. Deal with the breeder was that I we were not happy, Max could be returned up to 10 days after we got him.<br /><br />I almost took him back because he was not Wrinkles. <br /><br />I did not take him back. I now have a dog that I love just as much. He did not have to be trained. You just ask him what to do and he does it. He's smart with a great attitude.<br /><br />The greatest thing he taught me is that my wife and I are dog people. When he goes (I figure in about 2017!), I will get another dog. <br /><br />I WILL NOT GO DOGLESS....<br /><br />Tx.<br /><br />Joe

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Ryan T.<br />Gee, I missed that by a country mile :eek: .<br />I just asked my wife what she thought and she picked it as an Aussie Terrier immediately.<br />The West Highland Terriers we had were pretty much the same, except white.<br />I want a Scottish Terrier when my wife recovers from the loss of the Airdale. I reckon they have one great attitude.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

11 footer

Lieutenant

Phillip,<br /><br />Are the Austraian terriers popular on Australia?<br /><br />Other then lucky, her mouther and brothers and sisters, (who are dieing off :( ) I've never seen another one.<br /><br />If we every where to get another dog I think we'd get the same kind, she was a VERY fast at learning stuff and eazy to train.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Here is the gen from my wife.<br />The Aussie Terrier comes from not one but at least 5 kinds of British Terriers as its forebears.<br />It became popular in Aussie before the 1900's.It was a hunter or rats, rabbits and snakes. It became popular in England around the 1920's and recognised in the USA in 1960. In the USA they weigh around 12-14lbs, which is heavier than those of the UK and Australia. (Too many left overs of Big Macs and cold fries :D :D )<br />There were a lot at the Kennel Club Dog Show Competitions (which I hated having to attend :eek: )<br />In our district there are more Blue Heelers and Aussie Cattele Dogs, but we are rural.<br />They have a great personality, always alert and ready for action. <br />A guy I knew years back had one he taught to chase cats. All he ever had to say was "where's the cat" and it was on for young and old.<br />The Aussie, Cairns, West Highland etc and great breeds.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

ehenry

Commander

Hilda and Bridgette were my two dogs. Both are gone now Hilda was a Weimerainer<sp> Bridgette was a Brittany. Both were hunters and hunted well, Bridgette won several field trials when she was in her prime and Hilda was my meat dog. If it had hair or feathers she'd set it. Killed a number of deer over her and countless quail and woodcock. Bridgette was strictly birds.<br /><br />Now I have Jenny, a german shepard, she's 5 years old now starting to turn gray on her chin. She keeps the spirits one most people away from my place while I'm not there. <br /><br />Jenny earned her keep for life this past Saturday. I was walking from my shop to my house and she came tearing past barking, snarlin and growlin just as she went by I saw what she was going after.....a Copperhead was just about two steps ahead of me and rared back to strike. I would have never seen the snake if it hadn't been for her. We teamed up and did battle with the snake...Jenny lightning quick keeping the reptiles attention and me with my briar knife! ! Needless to say the copperhead lost.