Cold water coming out the prop and not much out ports

auger406

Seaman Apprentice
I always recommend that you pull the hose off the thermostat housing on the port side that comes from the transom. Hook up muffs with that hose hangin there and fire up your motor. If you get good flow it should be able to fill a 5 gallon bucket in 30 or so seconds, then the impeller is doing the job. If it doesn't, then the problem is between there and the impeller.
Rick,
I plan to do this today. I will look at schematics to make sure it is the right one. So many hoses tied into the thermostat housing. I am going to order another kit. My question to you is what kit do you buy? I ordered the last one from GLM Part #12043, with this happening I am losing faith in them, or my ability to put it on correctly. I am going to replace the housing as well, just too many times to take it on and off. Thank you all for the input. Nothing more than creating a problem that was not there to begin with. Before i did any of the maintenance on the boat I started it on the muffs in the drive way. Had full discharge, I have missed something on the impeller but will remove the hose before taking it off again. Man I love this stuff.

auger406

Seaman Apprentice
Haven't read through the entire thread, but did you make sure the oil cooler is clear of debris?
Grub,
Im sorry to show my ignorance but don't know where the oil cooler is and how it interfaces with the water system

auger406

Seaman Apprentice
Hopefully I can help clear up the flow directions. The diagram shows all of the components within the boat. The water goes from the outdrive into the boat via an impeller. The water is carried through hose "A" as shown in the diagram. The water travels into thermostat housing where it is distributed between 5 other hoses. One hose goes to the water circ pump, 2 hoses go to the bottom of the manifolds and 2 hoses go to the risers. As a simple check, I would take off any of those hoses at the temp housing to see if you even have flow at that point. If not, then it is most likely the outdrive. If yes, then take a plug out of the manifold and see if water flows out. Keep working your way through the system.

It is generally a mistake to replace parts without knowing the problem. You can tell if a water pump is failing by checking the weep hole under the pully. If you see water stains, then replace. Though, the water pump will not prevent water from coming out of the exhaust ports.

There is not much that can prevent flow from existing the exhaust ports. I can only think of rust/blockage (at the riser) or failed impeller.
Wow, this makes so much sense. Okay once temp goes up all bit today, Im a cold weather wennie, its 50 now then will do this. I am going to order a new impeller kit with housing this time. Once this test is complete.
Yes I agree on the swapping parts. I had the thermostat already and, yes it needed to be changed.
My thinking cap is on and I am going over this all in my head. One thing I have not been able to fine in Maunal #14. Where the tube inserts into upper drive is there an O-ring that must be replaced or changed? Not the two in the guide just above the pump. I did not get an O-ring in that for my kit. I am thinking so many different things "could" wrong with this impeller / assembly. I have a feeling this test will reveal the culprit.

wshekar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Haven't read through the entire thread, but did you make sure the oil cooler is clear of debris?
Pulling the hose ask Rick suggested will indicate if there is debris in the line/oil cooler or the issue is the outdrive/impeller.

Work your way back from the T housing.

auger406

Seaman Apprentice
Okay . Disconnected the hoses while running on muffs. See picture below from left to right clock wise disconnected hoses while running.
1) To Starboard manifold hose runs from under manifold to t stat- No water, or a dribble
2) To Port manifold hose runs from under manifold to t-stat - No water or a dribble
3) From circulating pump to t-stat- can hear pump but no water. Some came out of t stat housing then stopped
Then disconnected a hose coming off port riser (on top where it ties into elbow) this hose runs from the single point drain T's then feeds risers, assumably. Exhaust and hot water mist from riser side no water from hose.

I did this removing one hose at a time and putting other hose back on each time before trying the next hose. At no time was there running water coming out of any hose. I may have not got to any of the hoses directly off of the feed from the impeller. But the engine does not have any water in it obviously, at least no where near enough.
Water is running on muffs when I start the engine and drain is open. No water out discharge. As soon as it cranks and runs water comes out drain then I close it. Temp once again got up to 175 when checking hoses.

Sounds like impeller or am I wrong. I have a quicksilver rebuild kit in hand but have not opened kit. Should I trouble shoot more before settling on Impeller faulty install or bad kit? For reference did install new GML kit initially.

Thank you guys for so much help and the beer helps at night too.

Attachments

• t stat 5.0 MPI.jpg
    t stat 5.0 MPI.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 3

wshekar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I believe the bottom right hose on the T stat is from the outdrive/impeller. The bottom left should be to the water circ pump and the top two should go to the manifolds. That is for reference.

IF there is no water coming into the T stat as you mentioned, then it is likely the impeller. I would go ahead and change the impeller with the kit since they typically need to be changed regularly anyway.

For reference, the oil cooler should be behind the engine. You can trace the line from the T housing toward the back of engine/outdrive and you will eventually run into the oil cooler. I would think you need some serious corrosion to clog up that hose/oil cooler and I am not seeing that in your picture. Be careful not to overheat the engine when testing and such. That could make your day much worse.

I suggest you visit a site like https://www.mercruiserparts.com/

I enter my boat serial number and it pulls up all the diagrams and parts that I need to order. I usually search another site to actually purchase the parts for a better price.

auger406

Seaman Apprentice
I believe the bottom right hose on the T stat is from the outdrive/impeller. The bottom left should be to the water circ pump and the top two should go to the manifolds. That is for reference.

IF there is no water coming into the T stat as you mentioned, then it is likely the impeller. I would go ahead and change the impeller with the kit since they typically need to be changed regularly anyway.

For reference, the oil cooler should be behind the engine. You can trace the line from the T housing toward the back of engine/outdrive and you will eventually run into the oil cooler. I would think you need some serious corrosion to clog up that hose/oil cooler and I am not seeing that in your picture. Be careful not to overheat the engine when testing and such. That could make your day much worse.

I suggest you visit a site like https://www.mercruiserparts.com/

I enter my boat serial number and it pulls up all the diagrams and parts that I need to order. I usually search another site to actually purchase the parts for a better price.
Bottom right hose is not tied into the thermostat.It just runs underneth "t" off to each manifold. Reading an article states that water pressure can give you a faulty indication of impeller pumping, hence water coming out of drain point. I agree on debris would have to be be huge and since it discharged water prior to working on it. As I see more drawings exploded views. On page 128 of Mercrusier service manual #14 it indicates there is a seal in the upper drive housing where the feed pipe from impeller goes up inside. I did not replace this as it was not in the kit that I received. If the water is being pumped and most is coming out where this seal is compromised or missing this would be the reason that cold water is coming out prop exhaust. I just replaced all of this (had two seasons on it). Maybe you didn't see that from prior post. If there are other hoses to pull off and check let me know. I see the Oil and power steering that comes right of the drive but it it is getting to the single point drain then it it is getting there i would suppose.

wshekar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I believe this is your cooling system. The blue line shows the path from the transom/outdrive. I circled the hoses that I would check for water. I also indicated the location for the oil cooler.

If the boat was working before you messed with the outdrive then that is clearly the problem. You would need a massive "leak" for all the water to escape before going to the engine compartment. An o-ring would not produce that kind of leak. You either installed the impeller incorrectly or messed up on the reassembly. Crack the outdrive again and figure out if your misaligned something. Particularly the tube that comes out the top of the impeller housing.

Attachments

• 5.0 MPI.PNG
    5.0 MPI.PNG
    207.6 KB · Views: 7

auger406

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for the schematics and the time you spent making to marks to spell it out for me. I have the out drive off and separated on the stand. I found the bushing up in the upper to have a gouge in it (on order). Also the SS housing has a grove on the the top (on order). After disassembly of the impeller housing found a huge difference in the kits. GLM "splash gasket" on top much smaller OD and larger ID , again this has only been on 2-3 weeks and not in the water. The gasket below the wear plate is substantially better a metal vs the flimsy paper. No more GML for me funny a lot of the links in here reference mercruiserparts.com, that is where I got it from.

One more thing on the schematics, I follow the flow and two of the places you subject removing to check for water are not worm clamps they are clamped with a crimper to the T- that comes off the the feed after the power steering cooler. The top left of that drawing also shows what looks like to me an engine mounted water pump, I do not have one of those. Only the circulating pump or what I call a traditional automotive water pump. But once parts come in will put together and try again, very carefully.

Thanks again for the support on all of this.

auger406

Seaman Apprentice
This is what i have I believe.

Attachments

• 5.0 MPI no pump.jpg
    5.0 MPI no pump.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 10

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Bottom right hose is not tied into the thermostat.It just runs underneth "t" off to each manifold. Reading an article states that water pressure can give you a faulty indication of impeller pumping, hence water coming out of drain point. I agree on debris would have to be be huge and since it discharged water prior to working on it. As I see more drawings exploded views. On page 128 of Mercrusier service manual #14 it indicates there is a seal in the upper drive housing where the feed pipe from impeller goes up inside. I did not replace this as it was not in the kit that I received. If the water is being pumped and most is coming out where this seal is compromised or missing this would be the reason that cold water is coming out prop exhaust. I just replaced all of this (had two seasons on it). Maybe you didn't see that from prior post. If there are other hoses to pull off and check let me know. I see the Oil and power steering that comes right of the drive but it it is getting to the single point drain then it it is getting there i would suppose.
If you have could water co,I gout the prop and nothing coming out the engine most likely is water pipe connecting discharge of pump to upper part of the outdrive or seals in there. It’s easy to misalign that pipe when putting the drive halves together. If the water leaks out here it is in the exhaust cavity and will drop right out the exhaust port in center of the prop

also i think it’s worth a few extra bucks for the OEM merc or quicksilver impeller kits. In my somewhat limited experience they seems to last longer and fwiw I’ve read about poorer quality aftermarket impellers on chat groups like this

wshekar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is what i have I believe.
That does look like the schematic you should be used.

I wouldn't worry about taking those hoses off. All the water goes into the T housing anyway and you clearly verified no water in there. I know a lot of people have issues with the replacement GLM manifold and risers - mostly related to the thin paper gasket and mating surfaces. I would stick with merc or quicksilver as you have done.

wshekar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If you have could water co,I gout the prop and nothing coming out the engine most likely is water pipe connecting discharge of pump to upper part of the outdrive or seals in there. It’s easy to misalign that pipe when putting the drive halves together. If the water leaks out here it is in the exhaust cavity and will drop right out the exhaust port in center of the prop
Completely agree. Very easy to misalign - especially when only the lower half is removed. It is easier to take the entire drive off and drop the upper on the lower to ensure things get aligned. I have done it with only removing the lower but it was much more difficult.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
This could be something as simple as the rubber hose between bell housing and transom plate is off.

One more test: now that the drive is off, take a cutoff garden hose and shove it into the water passage hole in the bellhousing. Have someone hold it while you turn the water on, then fire up the motor. Even without starting the motor you should start to see water coming out the exhaust in a couple minutes. The impeller is what stops water from the muffs getting to the motor when not running. No impeller means there should be no impediment to water introduced at the water passageway.

auger406

Seaman Apprentice
Rick,
Funny I thought of this the other day but was hesitant to do it. Will test it tomorrow while waiting on impeller housing and upper housing seal for water pick up. Thanks again Rick.

auger406

Seaman Apprentice
Okay so sorry for the delay in posting the results. After the third install of the out drive, man I hate the gear lube oil, the issue was fixed its running like a top and cool. It was the pick up tube that was not aligned correctly with the upper even though it separated it on the the outdrew stand. Thank you for all of your assistance and comments. I want to contribute back so a couple of things I learned.
1) KISS (Keep it simple stupid) I am stupid by the way. 90% of the time it is always the less complicated fix.
2) When removing and separating the out dives always be careful to note the orientation of everything. Take many pictures. We as wrench turners are always inquisitive and can put anything back together. One little plastic tube caused a lot of extra work on my part and replaced parts that I didn't need to.
3) Once you are frustrated, you are no good mentally, just stop. Take a break and go back at it with a fresh mind. Physically we can continue but mentally frustrated starts making you chase your tail.
4) Always start the boat work with a full 12 pack in trig or on ice. may not be for the during work, but the celebration or to soak your sorrows after a let down.
Thank you all again.