cobalt worth the money?

john john

Seaman
Is a cobalt bow rider that much better than other boats that it would be noticeable? Why do they still use square windshield design? They are nice but are they worth the money?

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: cobalt worth the money?

Much more value is in the way the boat was maintained and used than in the name. Cobalt has a decent reputation but if not taken care of .....

tpenfield

Staff member

Would you tell us a bit more about the model and year of Cobalt that you are referring to ?

haulnazz15

Captain

Is a cobalt bow rider that much better than other boats that it would be noticeable? Why do they still use square windshield design? They are nice but are they worth the money?

Not sure what you mean by square windshield design. Most every boat manufacturer has moved to the curved/smooth windshield since the mid-90's, Cobalt included. If the boat you're referring to is older than about 1992, then it's likely to have the "square" windshield.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

If you look at Cobalt Boats website, I believe every one of their current models have the square windshields.
Several of the boat manufacturer's now have quite a few model's with the "square" windshields. You will find them in Express cruiser's as well. For years' they did not, but that has changed today, as the flat surfaces are cheaper to make than the curved ones, and thus easier to replace if needed.

Examples...

2013 Cobalt R5
l_4162793_20121206133652_6_LARGE.jpg

2013 Stingray 185 LX
180lx.jpg

Chaparral 244 Sunesta
41135_2013_chaparral_Sunesta_WT_Sportdecks_264_Sunesta.jpg

Cobalt boats today have an excellent build quality, but it should be noted that they are a member of ABA, which is a buying group of independent boat builders which all buy the same materials such as hull fittings, vinyl, carpet etc. Same group contains Monterey, Regal, Stingray, Chaparral to name a few. So materials used may be similar between the brands, it's just how it was all put together.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

The square windshield is soon to be more the norm than the exception.

2013 Glastron
bg_1353197883_14171_2013_glastron_gt200.jpg

4145406_20121126075109_5_LARGE.jpg

2013 Four Winns is sort of in between styles. 1/2 curved-1/2 square. More curved IMO.
43447_2013_four_winns_S_Series_S235.jpg

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I've been in and operated quite a few Cobalts. They have excellent fit and finish, excellent upholstery, excellent canvas, excellent attention to detail, and excellent hardware. They also seem reluctant to sell an under-powered boat, so even with base engines, they will typically plane out nicely with a crowd aboard. I don't know anyone that regretted buying a Cobalt. I have a Regal that I really like, and I think Cobalt is a better boat.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Cobalt's fit, finish and rigging is as good as anything out there short of a custom build. Worth the money? If you want a top quality boat, yea. Will you enjoy it more because it is a top quality boat? Only you can answer that. There's lots of folks having lots of fun in boats of a lower initial build quality (I'll refrain from naming brands, but it's just about all of them).

That said, leave even a Cobalt out in the elements and/or abuse it and it'll be a piece of junk in a few years. Same as everything else.

john john

Seaman

Looking at 2009 or so bow riders in the 27' sport models. Like to stay with single engine. Currently have SR 240 sundeck. Great boat and would have another SR. Just looking at different brands. Curved windshields look sportier IMO.

tpenfield

Staff member

Not flat glass on the Cobalts, just not curved as much as some . . . more a traditional style.

Do you have an asking price value comparison to share . . Sea Ray versus Cobalt?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Blah blah blah curved glass its about time they got off that ripoof deal....speaking of taylor made.....There im done and feel much better now. Coblat's are nice boat's.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looking at 2009 or so bow riders in the 27' sport models. Like to stay with single engine. Currently have SR 240 sundeck. Great boat and would have another SR. Just looking at different brands. Curved windshields look sportier IMO.

One of my neighbors at Lake of the Ozarks bought a 2009 or 2010 model 292. Maybe the nicest bowrider I've ever seen.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, the Cobalt quality is obvious, and it is not just visible surface fit and finish, it is below the decks details such as quality and sturdiness of fiberglass, wiring/conduit/connectors, hardware/hinges/fitments, panel connectors, etc. Generous design features such as beam, swimdecks, and storage make for highly functional space and capacity. Aesthetics are more classic so remain appealing throughout the model years. Handling is sharp and stable, even in rough water. Customer service is best in class. Resale values are high for these reasons.

Bonus is that boat envy is limited, though I will say the larger SeaRays (recent generation 25'+) on our lake are spectacular and are absolutely in the Cobalt category. Some Chaps as well.

All that said, it would be hard to justify a new pricetag on a Cobalt, we just got lucky on a used creampuff.

As Slip Away shows, most all manufacturers went with square framed windshields in recent years for sourcing efficiency and cost. Note that due to Cobalt hull and fitment heft, IMO they generally need to run a bit stronger powerplant vs. a lighter craft, and in recent years they introduced teaser models with base level smaller engines to induce value buyers during the recession.

d2893018.jpg

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks JJ, that is our '03 Cobalt 200, which is their smallest model. Nonetheless, she comfortably hauls 4 adults, three kids, and still pulls my fat arse up on a slalom ski at 8,300' elevation.

A dock mate of ours has a SeaRay 250 SLX that is super sharp, quite a bit different than the Sundancer, check it out as well. IIRC it has curved glass.

haulnazz15

Captain

Nice Cobalt, moosehead! I think the perfect runabout is Cobalt's 232/242WSS series. I think if I were to get another runabout, that's what it'd be. Small enough to still do watersports decently, but large enough to make 6-7 adults feel comfortable while going down the lake. Cobalt really is in another class compared to all but a select few manufacturers. Hopefully they bring back their Yacht line once the economy returns. The 373 and 46 were absolutely beautiful.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is a personal question with many personal variables.

Are they really nice boats? Yes, hands down they are.

But is is still a personal question.

What is your income? How much you have in the bank? What are the last 5 big purchases you have made?

I am just kidding with those questions. I have lake fever!

They are nice boats and many people find them worth what they charge. This is why they keep selling them.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

A 262 with a 375 HP 8.1 is an awesome boat. Planes out in practically it's own length even with 8 aboard and tops out well over 50 MPH. They have tons of freeboard and a very deep bow seating area that allows kids to ride up there safely in chop. A 2009 had a dealer cost of around 70 to 80 grand (depending on options). I figure a nice used one would be a great deal at around 65 grand.

proptwister

Recruit

I have a '11 242 with the 300 HP Volvo DP. Hands down the best boat I've ever owned.

Are they pricey? Yes.

Are they worth it? Only you can answer that. But if you ask me, I'd say yes.