aq125 Engine Removal help

79bayliner

Cadet
I am trying to remove my engine out of my bayliner. It is an aq125 with a volvo 270 outdrive. I have all components off of the engine already. I removed what looked like large bolts that were holding the engine onto the outdrive but the engine still does not slide out. I have pulled engines out of cars but never a boat. Are there hidden bolts somewhere around the flywheel that i can not see or is their anything that holds the engine in place that is out of ordinary view or do I have to remove the outdrive before the engine will slide out?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: aq125 Engine Removal help

A manual is going to do wonders for you. Go to the "... info for DIYer's" at the top of the forum and download them for your engine and outdrive.

It sounds like you haven't removed the clamping ring from the end of the flywheel cover. FYI - on this model of engine, it's called a flywheel cover instead of a bellhousing. Once you download the manual, you'll see that the elongated snout of the flywheel housing is attached to the transom plate via a couple of rubber donuts and a ring (clamping ring) that is bolted to the housing with 6 bolts. It's accessible from the rear of the boat after you've removed the upper gearbox from the outdrive - it sounds like you've done that allready.

It's really to your advantage to first go through the manuals first so you can visualize how things go together. If not, you'll just be frustrating yourself and the people trying to help.

BTW -welcome to the forum :). Lots of good help here.

79bayliner

Cadet

thanks i can see their is lots of help on here. ok well i did download the manuals but they were no help because the one for the engine itself does not have the part where it connects to the outdrive and same with the outdrive manual, it doesn't have where it connects to the engine. it tells me how to tear them both apart once off the boat but not how to tear them off the boat. but i have not tried the six bolts on the rear of the boat, i was thinking them were to take the outdrive out, not the engine but i guess things are a little different when it comes to boats. thanks for the help i'm going to try it now. let you know what happens.

popeye35

Recruit

Did you have luck doing this? I have the same motor/outdrive set up and appears that my motor is listing to the starboard by 10-15 degrees and I am trying to figure out how to fix it.
Thanks

captmello

Captain

Welcome Popeye35, There is lots of help here but you need to start your own thread. click on 'Create New Post' at the top of the I/O forum and let us know your situation. Be sure to include the year and model number of your engine and outdrive.:)

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

If you have not done so already you need to remove the clamping ring as stated above. It's held on by 6 bolts (item #40) in this diagram

Connecting Components