Closed bow in south heat

john john

Seaman
Looking at bow riders, but closed bows are sportier to me. Is this just wasted space down in the south because of heat? Can anything be done to make space usable, besides just being junk room?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Just to be clear, are you talking about a cuddy cabin boat with a v-berth in the bow, or are you talking about a closed-bow runabout with storage space in the bow? I assume you mean the former.

I don't live in the south, but I've generally found that at anchor, popping the bow hatch and opening the cabin door provides a good breeze through the cabin. That's because the bow is naturally pointed into the wind.

john john

Seaman
Should have been more specific. Boat length 29' or so. Wife, 8 and 14 yr old kids. Seldom more, but kids may bring a friend in near future. Thinking there would be enough room on boat even without open bow. More to choose from in used market if closed bow is option. Would like closed bow in rain storms that pop up quickly. Currently have 26' open bow and space in cockpit is fine when sitting. The only shaded spot anyway. They do like riding in bow though.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Even on a hot, sunny day my 23' Larson Hampton was pretty comfy down below. But it had a nice big screened hatch, 4 portholes with screens and a nice big opening from the cockpit into the cuddy. If you go with a cuddy buy one with good ventilation. That advice was given to me and i'm glad I listened to it.

southkogs

Staff member
29' "closed bow" sounds like a cruiser more than anything. Here in TN, most of the bigger boats like that have AC for their cabins.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Should have been more specific. Boat length 29' or so. Wife, 8 and 14 yr old kids. Seldom more, but kids may bring a friend in near future. Thinking there would be enough room on boat even without open bow. More to choose from in used market if closed bow is option. Would like closed bow in rain storms that pop up quickly. Currently have 26' open bow and space in cockpit is fine when sitting. The only shaded spot anyway. They do like riding in bow though.

Okay, I think we're talking about an Express Cruiser (Sea Ray Sundancer, 4Winns Vista et al). My last Express was a Four Winns 278 Vista that came equipped with factory installed A/C. I like A/C enough that I spent the time (a month) and money ($3500) to install it myself on the Carver. Just remember that you can only use it at the dock unless the boat has an onboard generator, or you carry a portable with you.

(rigging a portable generator in a boat is a whole 'nother topic that tends to make for some interesting debates)

My .02

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use a $6 fan in my cuddy here in FL when overnighting. It can be stiffling if the cabin is closed up without air flow. However crack the hatch and get underway and its fine.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
when it's 100* outside my cabin can easily be 70* inside... I flip a switch n fire up the (installed marine) generator n A/C unit.... Wouldn't have it any other way.