Clear fuel lines?

TripleB

Cadet
Going to do a complete in engine fuel line change. Has anyone tried/used clear fuel lines? I know the industry standard is the thicker harder to work with black lines, but I know they use the clear lines on snowmobiles and other 2 stroke apps. Any particular reason they don't seem to be used on outboards? ... sure would make trouble shooting fuel issues so much easier.

Haulin Bass

Cadet
Re: Clear fuel lines?

Does the clear tubing have mesh re-enforcement inside of it? Aditionally how will that react to ethanol?

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have been running some clear yellow lines (Tygon) for this past season and it appears to be holding up well. I have heard many people say to run this only on a temporary basis. I may replace it with regular fuel line over the winter. Sure is nice to see what's going on in there though.

TripleB

Cadet

Have heard and read about just using the lines for trouble shooting before, but know one seems to be able tell me why just use them temporarily and not permanently. The line I have gotten is a purplish line that is used for snowmobiles. They come from the factory with these lines on them so there shouldn't be any issues with them having any trouble with ethanol gas. I don't think I would use it pre fuel pump as it being a thinner line and is not mesh lined it could possibly collapse under suction?, but after the fuel pump the line is pressurized. From what I understand they are 100% polyurethane.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

I have used the clear fuel lines and have not had any trouble with them. As long as they have the thick wall that will not collapse from the suction the pump makes they should be good. JMO
Oldman570