Cleaning spark plugs

gambler369

Cadet
Is there a good way of cleaning spark plugs I have always replaced with new but a lot of people talk about cleaning them <br /><br />Thanks Steve

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Cleaning spark plugs

Yes, they can be cleaned to next-to-new condition by sandblasting. Black&Decker and others make spark plug cleaners which contain sand. You insert the plug in the recepticle on the device,switch the puppy on,and in 20 seconds, you have a clean plug.<br />There are other devices which plug into a compressor's air line, and clean them that way.<br />But given the cost of these devices, how often they would be used,and cleaning and storage of the tool, it can be cheaper just to buy new plugs as needed.

boatmotor

Seaman

Hi Gambler 369 A good friend does not<br />recommend using sand blasting. It is<br />difficult to get all the sand out of<br />plug end. Think what a grain of sand<br />would do inside the cylinder. Tom

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd favor buying new plugs vs. trying to clean the old ones. Well, that is of course unless you own one of those 2 plug per cylinder Suzuki V-6's. Walt

dw711

Seaman

I have a plug cleaner which plugs into compressor line.It works well but i only use it on small engines such as lawn mowers because you can't get all of the sand out.A plug that has been cleaned by sand blasting tends to foul a lot faster because the surfaces of the porceline and electrode are very rough after cleaning.