Cleaning Manifolds & Risers

Broaders

Seaman
I used Permatex Aviation as per what the Barr Marine tech told me. Worked out fine 4 seasons later no leaks.
Thank you Lou for the reply, I will be using sealent on my risers and Manifolds, as I have said before, this form has such a find bunch of people welling to help out and such a wide vast of knowledge on here.
Thanks to everyone who replied.
Cheers
Don B

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
see if you can find this document....Volvo Penta Service bulletin:
Group 25-1 Number 16 Version 01
this describes the sealer they want you to use....

Change to Procedure: Before installing a riser gasket, coat the mating surfaces of both the manifold and the riser with a copper-based, heatresistant gasket compound. Examples: Permatex Copper Spray-a-Gasket® (80697) K&W Copper Coat® (401612) Aerosol or brush-on applications are both acceptable. Install the riser gasket and then finish the repair according to the instructions or workshop manual

the next image I posted shows how to check them to make sure they flat enough....

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I used Permatex Aviation as per what the Barr Marine tech told me. Worked out fine 4 seasons later no leaks.
Leaks are not the issue with using sealant.The issue is using too much sealant and when you tighten down the riser bolts the excess sealant squeezes into the water passageways and causes a water restriction.This is the reason gaskets have been made thicker and dry gaskets are recommended....To prevent user error.Charlie

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
I soaked mine in evapo rust then scrubbed with purple power cleaner. Much rinsing washed loose debris out. Got alot of sand and mud also. Filed the gasket surfaces flat. Acetone tested for cracks and installed after some fresh paint. Gun spray rustoleum( with hardener).