Chrysler problems

dmordal

Recruit
I have a chrysler 55 horse with a magna power ingition. I have absoulutly no spark when the plug is in the head. When it is out and grounded against the head I have plenty of spark.I have tested both plugs with a timing light and still no spark when the plug is put back in the head. any ideas?

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Chrysler problems

Hi Dmordal<br />Common problem. The ing will fire at normal atmospheric pressure,but not at a pressure 9<br />times greater. Things you can check and change. The point setting =.018, good grounded condensers, check coils for cracks(<br />cracks are bad the coils got hot and the internal wires are shorted),poor engine ground( when motor is cranking under compression it is drawing the battery voltage down under the 10.5V it needs to run ing sys Factory says 9.5V I like the10.5)If <br />the battery voltage drops below 9.5 at the battery posts your battery is bad, if it happens at the motor connections clean them.<br />Check at the red wire and the black cable on<br />the motor,not the red cable.<br />Hope this helps.<br />...have fun...corm

dmordal

Recruit

ok. I checked my voltage and I'm getting 10.5 volts when cranking. points are at .20, but that's where the were when it was running great.<br /> The coils look good and there's nice blue spark when the plugs are pulled from the head.<br />I would think if it was the circuit breaker I would have nothing. I'm going to test the rectifier.<br />I seem to remember reading about this problem in a manual somewhere, possibly a Johnson tech manual. Of coures I paid little attention to that information thinking it would never happen to me.<br />Could the Magna ignition pack itself be out?

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Dmordal,<br />yes the box could be bad.Which one do you have and I'llpost a test if I have one.<br />Magnapower,P/N 345301 motorola 9GCO<br />Mag 1,Mortorola6CB2003,Chry P/N 404301<br />Motorola 6CB012A/B, ChryP/N523301,523301-1<br />Mag II CD sys (fairbanks-Morse)Chry P/N 474301.(I don't think that you have this one,but posted it anyway).<br />Bad grounds hurt these CD units.<br />The first one has been replaced by a std PT & Cond sys.<br />...have fun...corm

dmordal

Recruit

Corm, I have the Motorola 9gco. Serial#25779.<br />it's on a 55 horse Chrysler. I think it is a 1976 or 1977 model.<br />I appreciate all your help.<br />DDM

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi DDM,<br />They had so much trouble with that model that they discontinued it. They replaced it with the std pt. cond.& coil sys from a earlier 35-55HP motor. This maybe the way to go. I don't know what the kit is worth,I'll look.Used maybe the way to go on this one.<br />let you know tomorrow.<br />...have fun...corm