"Christmas staff fund charge" on my marina bill?

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
When we kept our boats at marinas, we like a lot of other people would tip the staff for there help and service. We've kept boats at 4 different marinas back in PA when we lived there and 2 here in FL over the 20years we've lived here(until we put the lift in) never had anything like that happen. Like any other service industry job it's all about the service I will always recognize good service, if you think yours was not good then forget the tip .

WIMUSKY

Staff member
When we kept our boats at marinas, we like a lot of other people would tip the staff for there help and service. We've kept boats at 4 different marinas back in PA when we lived there and 2 here in FL over the 20years we've lived here(until we put the lift in) never had anything like that happen. Like any other service industry job it's all about the service I will always recognize good service, if you think yours was not good then forget the tip .
I'm all for tipping good service. I'm happy and I want my mechanics to be happy. But a required Christmas charge, I don't think so....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A lot of this has to do with higher education.----- Some business people have the idea ----LETS SEE WHAT THE MARKET WILL BEAR -----I see nothing but greed around every corner.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Agree, they should not have tried to sneak in that surcharge.
It would have been a better practice if they placed a note or a Christmas card with your bill suggesting a tip.

But, also $20 is not that big of a loss and it might get you a little better attention, especially when you are not around and something goes wrong with your boat.

Think about one of these random scenarios....
what if those workers know you were "that guy" that didn't give up a mere $20 and one of them happened to see maybe a loose line, bumper missing or your boat taking on water. He/she might just keep walking.
$20 is cheap insurance to motivate someone to "the right thing".

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think I know of one marina where the dockage agreement says----" First occasion of boat taking on water and needing pumped out is included.----We notify you.----Second occasion will be billed to you "

docmirror

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I think I know of one marina where the dockage agreement says----" First occasion of boat taking on water and needing pumped out is included.----We notify you.----Second occasion will be billed to you "
Funny you brought this up. There's language specifically in the contract declaiming any responsibility for emergency pump out, or even notification of a boat sinking. So, I asked the girl at the counter, and that said that if someone reports a boat taking on water, they will call an emergency contact to come do something. Boat owners can't call the emergency contact directly. But - there is a company that offers emergency service for $149 per year, and I"m thinking of signing up with them. So, once again the marina isn't really stepping up to the plate here.

docmirror

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got to the marina late Thur night, had a good night on the boat. Today, I went over to the office to inquire about moving to a different spot. Hours are 10-6 with an hour lunch break. Ofc is locked up at 11:10. Too early for lunch, and no note on the door. Back at 2, still no one there. Back again at 4:30 and the girl was just leaving for the day. On her way to the car, she said, 'take any open spot you want and send us an email with the old spot and new spot'. No, they have no way to know if I gave to the Christmas fund or not. Gone in 30 seconds.

The place is so nice, a lot of great features, but the staff are crap. I feel much better not paying for their junk service.

zool

Captain
Funny you brought this up. There's language specifically in the contract declaiming any responsibility for emergency pump out, or even notification of a boat sinking. So, I asked the girl at the counter, and that said that if someone reports a boat taking on water, they will call an emergency contact to come do something. Boat owners can't call the emergency contact directly. But - there is a company that offers emergency service for $149 per year, and I"m thinking of signing up with them. So, once again the marina isn't really stepping up to the plate here.
I was having dinner with some friends that keep their boat in a full service marina. When the topic of taking on water came up, they said they only get a call "theres a problem with your boat".

Im an owner of my slip in a yacht club, as a dockominium.....none of that crap goes on. We would vote out the dockmaster if it did. I did notice in the most recent minutes sent to us from the meetings, that they have very little staff left right now. They cant seem to hire any help, so they voted to increase staff salaries for dockhands. Im fine with that because its nice to know they are a radio call away when coming in on one pin and needing tie up assistance, they also have a copy of all our keys in the office, incase your boat has an issue when not there.

I give gift cards to the dockmaster and staff at xmas, and most other members do too, but its not mandatory. Having a steady flat fee to pay is nice, anything more is our choice, which is how it should be.

docmirror

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was having dinner with some friends that keep their boat in a full service marina. When the topic of taking on water came up, they said they only get a call "theres a problem with your boat".

Im an owner of my slip in a yacht club, as a dockominium.....none of that crap goes on. We would vote out the dockmaster if it did. I did notice in the most recent minutes sent to us from the meetings, that they have very little staff left right now. They cant seem to hire any help, so they voted to increase staff salaries for dockhands. Im fine with that because its nice to know they are a radio call away when coming in on one pin and needing tie up assistance, they also have a copy of all our keys in the office, incase your boat has an issue when not there.

I give gift cards to the dockmaster and staff at xmas, and most other members do too, but its not mandatory. Having a steady flat fee to pay is nice, anything more is our choice, which is how it should be.
Sounds like the type of setup I'd be interested in finding. I've heard there are a very few private slips for sale in my area. I might inquire further. And, brother I hear ya about hiring decent help. It's become nearly impossible to find someone who will actually show up and work a full day.

zool

Captain
Sounds like the type of setup I'd be interested in finding. I've heard there are a very few private slips for sale in my area. I might inquire further. And, brother I hear ya about hiring decent help. It's become nearly impossible to find someone who will actually show up and work a full day.
Theres a general shortage of slips available in most places, due to the Covid boat craze that went on. I started out renting a slip, but was concerned about not getting renewed and being stuck on the hard for a season. As soon as one came available, I grabbed it.

Another benefit is, if you are gonna be offshore for a few days, or out for repairs, they rent your slip to transients, and you get 85% of the slip fee received reduced from your annual fee. They want you to file a float plan at the office, and if you don't return on schedule, like from the canyons or something, they take action as needed.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Got to the marina late Thur night, had a good night on the boat. Today, I went over to the office to inquire about moving to a different spot. Hours are 10-6 with an hour lunch break. Ofc is locked up at 11:10. Too early for lunch, and no note on the door. Back at 2, still no one there. Back again at 4:30 and the girl was just leaving for the day. On her way to the car, she said, 'take any open spot you want and send us an email with the old spot and new spot'. No, they have no way to know if I gave to the Christmas fund or not. Gone in 30 seconds.

The place is so nice, a lot of great features, but the staff are crap. I feel much better not paying for their junk service.
Take any open spot?
How are you supposed to know if a spot is not bring used?
What if a spot is open, but the person is out on their boat?

docmirror

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Take any open spot?
How are you supposed to know if a spot is not bring used?
What if a spot is open, but the person is out on their boat?
So, like myself, you see the flaw in her plan. I would guess that being Dec, they don't have many people out on their boats late on Fri afternoon, but sure - it could happen. We decided to stay in our spot for now. We had a lot of ducks congregating on our pier, and the walk was a bit messy. I might move after the new year, but I'm not just going to swag it.

docmirror

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Update on tipping and the marina staff. Last wknd Mrs fancee yachet owner and I were down staying on the boat. Just my luck, while we were there, I got the '3/4' full warning on the poop tank. Sigh, but - don't cry for me Argentina, the fuel and pump dock was open.

However, trying to start the port eng, it would crank and almost catch but there was a bit of air in the injector pump, because I didn't crank it for more than a month, lesson learned. I had zero tools with me, and no way to spritz it to get it going faster. Walking up the dock I saw one of the marina techs and waved him down. told him I had a balky engine and wanted to get over to the fuel dock. He said to wait there a sec, and drove his golf cart to the shop. Back in a second with the spray can of carb cleaner. We took the cart down the pier to the boat, he hopped in the eng bay, and I cranked it while he gave it a few spritz of carb cleaner. It popped right up and ran perfect. Here's $20, for a little spritz and 10 min work. But, it got me going to the poopy dock.

We tied up, and the guy started to hook up the pump out line, and, not known to me, he had a look at the tank vent. Sure enough, it had some clog with I guess a bit of mud dauber goo. He got a hanger wire, and cleared it out, then sprayed a bit of water in there to clear it up. I knew I was in the hands of a pump poop pro, and let him do his thing. He pumped out, then sent some water back down the pump out pipe, and pumped it again, then sent more water down, and pumped it twice more until it came out clean. There's a clear plastic hose bit on the nozzle so we can see what's going through the pipe. He buttoned me up, offered some bio-cide for the tank, I told him I had a full pack, gave the man a $50 and off we went for a little harbor float with nice fresh clean poop tank.

I was HAPPY TO TIP, for outstanding service all around. However, the office staff are still mostly useless.