Christianity Vs Conservatives??

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Christianity Vs Conservatives??

Barlow, Like I said, I don't think you attacked me.....much...., you gave me a rebuke; one that I earned and deserve and heard all the time. I appreciate the rebuke, and accept it in a Christian fashion, as in, I take it under advisement, but I am who and what I am (whatever and whoever that is....). I thank God every day that I don't bear the weight of what some of my fellow Christians bear; I mean, I'm far from perfect, but I know some Christians who are well and truly hosed.<br /><br /> I pray that you do not let any man's behavior stand in the way of your relationship with God. If we did, we would probably all be our own worst enemy..... I love you brother. Heck, I even love ole PW2!<br /><br />Now, about money, God only ever asked for 10%. I personally give more than that, that is what my wife and I like to do. We pray over our offerings, and sanctify them, we commend them into the hands of God to be used for His purposes, and we pray that He multiply them into His Kingdom, and to multiply our wealth so that we can continue to sew more toward the Kingdom. Multi million dollar preachers like Creflo Dollar....well, I don't know what he does for God. For what he does though, God rewards him handsomely, and what he does with his 90% is his business. You see, it is a trap that we fall into when we question what a man, any man, does with what is his. Creflo Dollar, Jessie Duplantis, John Haggee, they have airplanes. They also sew a tremendous amount into the Kingdom financially, as well as through the work they perform in their respective ministries. To me, they are what every preacher should aspire to be. I keep telling my wife that she is the next Joyce Meyer. She really has the capability to go that far in her ministry. If she did and made the money with that Joyce makes, we would be rich....but we would still give most of it away. That is no indictment of preachers who wear their earnings in the form of flashy jewelery, I'm just saying, to each his own.<br /><br />Listen, just because a man answerers the call to preach should never be construed as a vow of poverty. Just look at the promises in Deuteronomy. God WANTS us to have all the wealth that we are capable of handling. Goodly houses that we didn't build. Vineyards that we didn't plant. Barns filled to over flowing. He wants to bless us, not just abundantly, but with exceeding abundance! The surest way to achieve this is to prove to Him that you can be trusted with what is His. That is, His 10%, but also, since all things flow from Him, and ultimately He owns everything in this world that He created, we must be trustworthy stewards of all he allows us to possess. My guess is that rich preachers may be doing something right in His eyes, because if they are not, they will all follow the path of Jim Baker, Robert Tilton, and Jimmy Swaggart. Remember who is in control....

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

outa respect for how SW lives, I will refrain<br />here... u got it right bro. <br />biting tounge,<br />M.Y.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Rudeafrican,<br />Thank you for the "some so called christians" part. I agree with much of what you say. One thing I disagree on though- the Bible says that we must come to God as we are. Nowhere does it say we have to be good first. We couldn't if we tried, really. Because who can really be good? As measured by God's perfect standard? Not me! Not anyone. (Romans 3, etc. etc.) No one but Jesus Himself. But if we follow as we're told, wholeheartedly, the outward man will change in time- from the inside out. (Romans 5:12 thru Romans 6) We may stumble a bit from time to time, but the change will be evident in the long run. <br /><br />PW2, With you I agree on a lot of what you said on your last post, too. But the Bible is NOT a flexible document. I hear where you are coming from I think- that it gets misused to justify the misdeeds of man frequently. This is very true. This is man's failure not Scripture's. A more careful look, according to sound rules of hermeneutics does not show much flexibility of Scriptures themselves. (Hermeneutics is the correct interpretation of Scripture from a cautious, historical perspective mindful of the cultures in which the various parts were written- an approach that inevitably rules out wild interpretations for selfish gain) To say not flexible is not to say it is harsh or negative, especially taken in context. Nor does it mean we ALWAYS succeed in getting what God meant out of it when any single individual reads or attempts to interpret what is meant- because we ARE still human. But not much of Scripture is really left to wild imagination if the common sense rules get followed. (Sure, there are many honest differences of opinion on minor issues among the faithful, but that is OK for now. God will straighten us all out, eventually) The big picture of Scripture is God does indeed love us despite how we screwed up and rejected Him initially. Look at John 3:16. Even the Jews of old looked forward to a Messiah. Even they really earned His favor by faith through grace as we can now. But being a just God (unlike us He has perfect integrity), He had to provide a way to restore us to Himself. But it cost Him greatly. He had to send a savior -His only begotten (not adopted) Son to pay the judicial price of our sin. Now that was more than just nice of Him! Much greater deal even than dad bailing us out after that wild party or whatever foible we may have committed as a teen! This necessarily is on His terms. No negotiation allowed. We can think whatever we want, but it is very simply a take it or leave it proposition. This act of Jesus dying for us wiped our rap sheet entirely and permanently clean if we accept His terms, and submit ourselves as imperfect sinners needing to be forgiven. We who accept the terms of His offer get off without even a record at all. Pretty nice indeed me thinks! I'll agree to these terms!<br /><br />As to the founding fathers, why don't you go read what THEY said influenced their thinking when they wrote what they did, including the Constitution. Please read copies of original documents and letters, as it is difficult to find much online that is not edited for spin effect from one side or the other. Do not rely on mere commentary from some author. I've seen a lot of outrageous outright lies containing quotes (supposedly) from the founding fathers. Only a genuine copy will do. God, the Bible, and faith have a much larger role than you're giving credit for. It is just that they refused to mandate any formalized form of faith, since that formalization is when faith tends to depart and mere, useless, religion takes over. Such was the case, they felt, with England. And England was not anything they considered pleasant to associate with politically.

SoulWinner

Commander

Bearcat, I'm impressed. You write beautifully and have an outstanding understanding of scripture. Please tell me, are you a preacher?

Jeff Peacock

Seaman

There is no provision for a car allowance or anything like that, but a portion of my salary is tax-free in Canada under the clergy housing allowance (I believe the number is about 10,000). I don't pay tax on that amount, but there is no clergy housing or car given. No worries- my wife is able to work, so we were able to buy a used truck. Nobody's suffering!

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

SW, No, not a preacher. Just doing what I figure I'm supposed to, and having a good time with it. Did go to a christian college, and very involved with church. Work with youth a fair amount. My knowledge of Scripture really isn't all that great compared to many. Sure wouldn't call myself a theologian. But I do see God's Word as vital.<br /><br />There is just so much good stuff in the Bible- Old Testament and New- and one can read a passage dozens of times and still glean things new to them each time. Stuff that helps us in practical ways, like attitudes and relationships. Faith building, strengthening things, too. Good stuff! So unlike ANYTHING ELSE EVER written, it truly is dynamic and alive to those who are able to receive it. (ANYONE can receive it so long as it is on God's terms as I tried to explain my last post above)