Chris Craft Reputation

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have enjoyed this foruma nd you all have helped me with my first boat purchase.

I see a lot of thread on here about bayliners and people not thinking highly of them. When i bought my Chris Craft I kept getting told that the name will hold value very well and it is a well thought of make.

I have read that chris craft has been thru several owners and recently came out of bankruptcy.

What is the real reputation of Chris craft. Mine is amazingly well presented for its age and i lve it. I waxed the entire boat today and there is not one single sign of even reall use on the hull anywhere. Is this brand a mid or high tier line?

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Chris Craft Reputation

Christ-Craft early rep was established during the days of wood boats. Outstanding Quality and service (If you needed a even a plank you could just call them up and give your hull # they would pull the drawing and make one for you).

The smaller (trailer sized) Chris's reputation got a little spotty when the all the ownership/ manufacturing plant changes started to happen since the fiberglass days started. Mostly business losses from price competition from people buying low to mid tier boats was the cause of this.

The larger 30'+ business suffered the same pricing problems as the small ones along with many other fine makes.
You wouldn't believe how many times I heard people bragging about their $485,000 low end Sea Ray and thought they were getting the same thing as an $750,000 Chris, Bertram, or Hatteras (late 1970's prices by the way).

Been way to much quality fall by the wayside out there because of price.

But back to the point, it would actually depend on where it was built and the mood of the workforce towards management when it was built as to the quality of construction.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

imho, chris craft is still a top of the line. quality, and useful amenities, the bling is not over done. i have a 99 230 deckboat.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

My 86 178 Chris Craft seems like a well built boat, but had the standard issue of floor/stringer rot like most boats from the 80s. The hull construction is better than the 84 Supra I had before. The hull seems very thick and even with the stringer issue, I had very few gel coat cracks. Even then, they were in the helm area (from the helm sagging due to the deck rot) and not the hull itself.

As for your 95, I have heard they are very well built with no wood issues of the older. In fact, my next boat will be a newer one with no wood.

As for value, I do believe a Chris Craft will be more valuable than a Bayliner. The CC still has an excellent reputation with most folks, and I never hear of anyone bad mouthing them. The Bayliner is a different story.​

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

imho, chris craft is still a top of the line. quality, and useful amenities, the bling is not over done. i have a 99 230 deckboat.

Tis good to hear they did good. There were some issues (as mentioned) in the 70's/80's.

Another fine make survives!:D:D:D

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

My 1981 had the usual rot issues.But now that its fixed i really like the boat.
I had some friends out last weekend and they said it was like riding in a Cadillac..
It does handle chop very smooth..

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Our family's last boat was a 1974 33' Chris Craft Catalina Sedan. The boat was over built if anything weighing a good bit more than a similar sized Silverton or Sea Ray. It took on big water real well and other than some cosmetic wood issues (not structural, just looks) and a previous owner not taking great care of it, it was a great boat. We sold her and the new owner repowered it (again previous owner had a hack mechanic keep with the engines and they were past saving) and fixed the cosmetics we didn't get to before we sold it. The boat has another 35 years on it if well kept.

The reputation is there, so long as the boat is well cared for.

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

Their new "runabout" / retro style boats are beautiful... Pricey.. but beautiful.

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love mine. I had her skimming across the lake at dusk last night coming home from dinner at a GPS of 52 mph. You would think she is still new, no creaks, no wear, no nothing, i could not be happier ( well maybe if gas was cheaper LOL)