Chop Sticks

one more cast

Captain
I never really tried eating with chop sticks since I was a kid so yesterday we stopped at a Chinese buffet and I asked the waitress to teach me how to use them. By the end of my meal I was using them like a pro.I never used my fork once. I was just wondering how many of you use chop sticks when you eat Chinese?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Chop Sticks

Me too. <br /><br />Chinese and Japanese.<br /><br />Love sashimi. :)

FSHKPR

Ensign

use them for a little while just to show off and prove to who ever we are with, i can. then i usually go back to using real utensils. :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

<-- here too.<br /><br />but one thing to note: <br /><br />We as Americans actually use them incorrectly for the most part.<br /><br /> If you've noticed in Asian cultures with most dishes chop sticks 'shovel' the food into their mouths out of bowls.. not grab or scoop it up.. if that was the real case it would take 'em 5 hours to eat a bowl of Chop suey and chicken fried rice.. :D <br /><br />its actually really messy and hilarious at times to see.. we had some nieghbors that were first generation Japanese here in the states.. She was a cooking prof at the UW and he had a screen printing business along with a few bikeshops here in WI along with their son and daughter. <br /><br />As a 12yr old boy sitting down to my first meal at their house I was terrified of what was going on.. having been taught proper 'American' etiquette and manners I was in total shock of the "fists of fury" I was experiencing :eek: :eek: <br /><br />My Father spent some years in the air force during vietnam and he ate his rice like this and a few other items but, what a different animal I experienced.<br /><br />try tossing those bambo sticks out and use polished stone or smooth varnished bambo.. LMAO .. chances are you'll be tired before you get full :D :D

aspeck

Staff member

Yea, I always use 'em when I go to the Great Dragon Buffet, of the Noble House, or Asia House, or ...

gonfishn

Commander

Got prety adept at it when I was overseas years ago..<br />On the brief occasions(dogs ya know)i go i do use them..<br /><br />I usually ask them if they are fond of dogs..If they smile I am out of there :eek:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

No way, eh. If God wanted me to use chop sticks, he woulda made them out of stainless steel, and put a fork on the end of them. :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

NOOOOOOOOO. I drive way around them places.<br /><br />Never had a hankering for any foreign food. Just give me some beans and taters.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Chopsticks are fun- use them at every opportunity, which tends to only be about once a year, normally... :) <br /><br />Japanese Tempura vegetables are a lot easier than a lot of things. And the rice should be sticky enough to clump up. American style rice is made for forks.<br /><br /><br />"Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to befoul the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day." -Theodore Roosevelt, April 19,1906

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Chop Sticks? Actually I don't chop the sticks, I run them through my chipper. I then cut limbs and trees, but I don't chop sticks. :p <br /><br />Honestly, I've tried em, done okay, still prefer my fork an spoon!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I love showing off and chop sticks are part of my gimmicks.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ate with them night before last. Kids did too.<br /><br />Jinx

LadyFish

Admiral

We use them even at the house when I prepare Chinese food. I prefer the wooden ones. They just make the food taste better.<br /><br />I taught my daughter how to use them at an early age by setting a plate of peas and nothing else in front of her (she loved peas). Before she finished the plate, she was pretty good at it. :)

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Use it everyday. The whole family are expert at it. Taught my daugther to use it when they were very young. Now they can pick up grain of rice. :D ;) :D

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Chopsticks * Silverware * Ain't we a civilized bunch! Some of the best meals of the year are ate with fingers... Heck one of my old favorite haunt's was a Cajun resturant that didn't even use plates let alone silverware. Man I miss that place...Ah the memories.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br />[QB] We use them even at the house when I prepare Chinese food. I prefer the wooden ones. They just make the food taste better.<br /><br /> Why not just add sawdust to the food, and eat with a real fork... Sound pretty simply. Aren't ya glad I helped LF? :D

spratt

Lieutenant

Nah, never really cared to even try them. Why use sticks to eat with when there are spoons and forks? It's a cultural thing, and it isn't my culture :)

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep... I must be a retard! I can't figure them out.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Used them some when stationed in Japan, Korea and Taiwan. Prefer a good old fashioned knife, fork, spoon set. It's darned difficult to cut stuff with chop sticks and besides, I'm left handed and they are all made for right handed people. :D