Children suffer during the War

knobby

Chief Petty Officer
35 children die in suicide attacks Sep 30 2004<br /><br /> <br />A group of Iraqi children had just run across to US troops for sweets at a neighbourhood celebration in Baghdad when the first of three bombs exploded, killing at least 35 youngsters.<br /><br />In one of the bloodiest days in Iraq since major conflict was declared over, almost 50 people were killed and more than 150 injured in a series of bomb attacks across the country.<br /><br />Three bombs - at least two of them suicide attacks - in Baghdad's al-Amel neighbourhood caused the largest death toll of children in any insurgent attack since the conflict in Iraq began 17 months ago.<br /><br />The children, who were still on school holiday, said they had been drawn to the scene by American soldiers handing out sweets.<br /><br />The blasts -- at least two of which were car bombs -- went off in swift succession, killing 42 people and wounding 141 others, including 10 US soldiers.<br /><br />The bombs targeted a ceremony in which residents were celebrating the opening of a new sewage system, and a US military convoy was passing by at the same time, said Interior Ministry spokesman Colonel Adnan Abdul-Rahman.<br /><br />Of the 131 Iraqis wounded in the blasts, 72 were children under the age of 14, said Dr Mohammed Salaheddin of Yarmouk Hospital.<br /><br />Grief-stricken parents wailed over the bodies of their children at the hospital morgue. One woman tore at her hair before pulling back the sheet covering her dead brother and kissing him.<br /><br />One man carried his younger brother -- both legs bandaged -- to the hospital, where some children were put two to a bed because of the many wounded. Outside, women sat on the ground and wept as they awaited news about their children.<br /><br />The hospital received 42 bodies -- including those of 35 children -- and 131 wounded, said Iyhsan Nasser, head of the facility's statistics department.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Children suffer during the War

I just read that Knobby, and I still can't get over it. I would say more, but I just can't get them out right now.<br /><br />Jinx

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

I hope this is a wake-up call to the people of Iraq. We are there now and can help with muscle, but this is their fight. The perpetrators of these acts want control, the people of Iraq can choose to go forward with the US or back in time with the terrorists.

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

Sadly, this attack was directed at the Americans. If America wasn't there, we're not sure this would have happened, but we don't know. Maybe America needs a wake-up call too.

KaGee

Admiral

Muslims killing Muslims.... these people have no soul... it's been taken by the Devil.<br /><br />And to think there are still some who think we can negotiate with these Demons.<br /><br />The whole deal is so very sad.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by knobby:<br /> If America wasn't there, we're not sure this would have happened, but we don't know. Maybe America needs a wake-up call too.
So, you are wishing another attack on the home land? Is that what you are saying???

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

What a load. Doesn't matter if the Americans are there or not. This is about having absolute power. Power through terror. Sound familiar? You think there are American sheeple, the Iraqis are sheep, and until they grow a spine and remove their cancer, thier lives will be constant terror.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

30+ people killed. One of them American. America is already awake, where is the local population decrying this barbaric act, attacking the attackers, pointing out their cells, I'm not sure these people are worth saving...<br /><br />30 CHILDREN :mad: :mad:

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

All we can do is speculate as to whether or not this would continue if America was to pull out. I suspect not. One thing for sure, as long as America is there it will continue at the expense of innocent people. And to suggest that I would be wishing another attack on the homeland is a less than brilliant remark. But he knew that before he asked it, I hope.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Hey knobby,<br /><br />There are hundreds of years of history killing each other documented within this region , I hardly see where our recent involvement could be pointed to to justify any of these peoples actions..

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

If America wasnt there, there would be civil war and many children would die every day.<br /><br />If America had never been there, many children would be without parents, because Saddam killed them.<br /><br />You liberals just dont get it, do you. Your just mad because this is a Bush backed war.<br /><br /><br />Ken

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

I agree Pointer. But I think we're going about it wrong. The British tried to fight America with conventional warfare of their day, didn't work back in 1776. We tried it in Vietnam, didn't work. Why do we think it will work in Iraq? Fight Guerilla warfare like Guerillas. Stop driving convoys down the roads like ducks at a shooting gallery. There' s other methods of deployment of supplies and troops that wouldn't endanger civilians in drive-bys.

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Ken, I'm voting for Bush, but no I don't agree with every tactic or plan the adminstration comes up with. but thanks for your attack anyway. Don't know about the civil war comment, neither do you.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Who does, Knobby?<br />GSPIG said it best, "I hope this is a wake-up call to the people of Iraq. We are there now and can help with muscle, but this is their fight. The perpetrators of these acts want control, the people of Iraq can choose to go forward with the US or back in time with the terrorists."<br />As a mof, I can't add much to it. Now is the time they should get thier provernbial act together, not after we pull-out. And our guys want to come home asap, but not until the job is done. And we remain comitted to that end.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

To say that we are fighting "conventional warfare" is absurd. You cannot compare muskets and knives to daisy-cutters and laser-guided missles.<br /><br />The problem is not convention. If anything we are trying to fight a non-conventional war, but not in the sense that you mentioned. A conventional war would be for us to untie the hands of our military and let them go do their job. Instead, we are trying to fight a "nice" war, a politically-correct war.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I cannot point to any experience I have in prosecuting a war. But if someone killed my son or daughter with a bomb, I would make a deal with Sadam himself, to avenge their loss. But where are the locals calling for the heads of those who so openly claim responsiblity for murder? This aspect of their culture is lost on me, vengence is not cultural it is ingrained into all real men. Seems they have only three types of people: dictators, minions, and fools/cowards. :confused: :confused:

KennyKenCan

Commander

All the more reason for America to be there!<br /><br />Under Saddam's rule, the children were mutilated and used for experiments, just because they were there, and couldn't fight back!<br /><br />At least now, the children of Iraq have something to look forward too...FREEDOM!<br /><br />It is unfortunate that the enemy thinks of the children as pawns, to be used in their sick crusade!

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The main point of difference between the two sides of this war, is that their side has no problem or hesitation in killing & maiming innocent civilians - whichever side they might belong to. <br /><br />On the other hand, our side is much more limited by morality and respect for the lives of (any) innocent civilians.<br /><br />If we played by their rules (heaven forbid) then the war would have been over a long time ago...and all that would be left of Iraq and Afghanistan right now would be 2 big patches of scorched earth....and there would be a lot less terrorists walking around today.

rogerwa

Commander

This is as much Americas fault as the ones who blew up the kids.. If you beleive that, pull your head out of that dark smelly crevice that you shoved it in. If the Americans were not there, these kids would have a reasonable chance of starving or being tortured, affected by torture, or affected by the terroristic regime. <br /><br />We cannot be held responsible when the devil rears its head. And have no doubt this is the devil or whatever face you put on Evil.<br /><br />The explosions were probably aimed at the kids. Remember, these terrorists, not insurgents, are looking to pull a vietnam on us and these type of comments are helping them to be successful. I'm sure John Kerry will be there to provide the soundbites they need to carry it out..

rolmops

Vice Admiral

This sort of terror has nothing to do with American forces in the sense most of you think.<br />Sadly our forces are on one side of this conflict and while trying to support this group we are being attacked by a different group.Please do not make the mistake that we are supporting the Iraki people.There is no such thing.There are a number of by now powerful interest groups.These are all jockeying for position for after we are gone.They all try to use our forces in one cynical way or another.Chalabi is just one example.The American occupation of Iraq very much reminds me of the quackmire Israeli and American forces found themselves in during the conflict in Lebanon.Except that there are a bunch of international players here with a very large interest in America getting stuck in Irak.Both Iran and North Korea have gladly taken the opportunity to go ahead with their nuclear development plans while our forces are stuck in one of the minor arab provinces.Ironically this entire Irak adventure is helping the more powerful enemies of America,because we are wasting our power in a civil war swamp.It would not amaze me at all if both North Korea and Iran are pumping millions into the Iraki situation,just so we stay stuck there.<br />I really wish that our leaders wizen up to this trouble and get down to fighting our much more dangerous enemies.<br />editorial note: I know it is spelled quagmire,but as you pointed out, this is an opinion hidden in a word.