Chevy 350 rebuild....chip at bottom of cylinder

rotor_av8

Seaman
I have a chip at the bottom of one of my cylinders on a 350 chevy I am rebuilding. Do you guys think this block is useable? Isn't this well below where the rings will run? Will this create a weak or hot spot? This engine threw a rod from a valve hitting the piston. I'll include a pic of the rod too because it is kind of fun.

I had to squeeze it together some to fit it out the cylinder bore. I'll tell you it wasn't easy. I was 30 seconds away from getting the sawzall out to cut it off. I only put the effort in so i could show it off. I used a high lift jack to squeeze it together...LOL

The main pic is on the bottom of cylinder 4 on the inside near the camshaft.

Let me know if you need something described better. I plan to build this engine up to a lot of HP and take it to a machine shop to get hot tanked and magnafluxed. Any ideas on what that should cost?

Thanks,
-Seth

Attachments

• chip_crop.jpg
    chip_crop.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 3
  • chip2.jpg
    chip2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 2
  • rod2.jpg
    rod2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1
  • rod1.jpg
    rod1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 3

whywhyzed

Banned
Re: Chevy 350 rebuild....chip at bottom of cylinder

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

but you can let the machine shop tell you when they check it out

Ayuh,.......

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

with the amount of rust in that block? I would simply junk it and go find another.
I would bet the valve contact had nothing to do with the tossed rod.
the water/rust in the block would be the most likly culprit, its also whats most likly the reason the valve was stuck open when the piston came up.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

If you can clean it up and the shop says its good, run with it. With my stroker 383 chevy motor, we had to accually notch the bottom the cyl walls taking out alot more then that, along with pan clearancing.

rotor_av8

Seaman

with the amount of rust in that block? I would simply junk it and go find another.
I would bet the valve contact had nothing to do with the tossed rod.
the water/rust in the block would be the most likly culprit, its also whats most likly the reason the valve was stuck open when the piston came up.

Maybe the pics look like it but there is a teeny tiny amount of surface rust from sitting out here in florida. You can wipe it clean with one finger swipe. It was in a truck.

If you can clean it up and the shop says its good, run with it. With my stroker 383 chevy motor, we had to accually notch the bottom the cyl walls taking out alot more then that, along with pan clearancing.

I was thinking about that because I plan to make a 383 also with it.

This is a rare and valuable 4 bolt block with 1% tin added AND 2% Nickel added to the casting metal.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Grind the edges to relive stress risers. The chip is below the piston travel, run the block.

96lt4c4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That block would be fine. Even if you stroked the motor it would be fine. I would just smooth that area out so that no cracks can start. I would defiantly have it align honed.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For the cost i would exchange for an already built 4 bolt 383.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

i see a lot of metal shavings... did a rod punch a hole through a piston?
Or.... did this thing spin a main bearing......
If it spun one... i'd probably toss it. Machine shops can fix that depending on how bad it is.... but if they have to machine the crank case and you have to buy a new crankshaft (which you probably will have to if it did indeed spin a bearing)... your better off getting a new/used set up.

Robj

Lieutenant

Take it to your machine shop and let them decide.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

This is a rare and valuable 4 bolt block with 1% tin added AND 2% Nickel added to the casting metal.

hello,

engine blocks are incredibly strong. 4-bolt sbc's are very durable. built to handle heavy torque loads on mains... such as trucks and boats. :) they can be broken, of course. from ur pix and explanations... sounds as if the block will clean up fine. cam looks ruff though, imo... ;)

let us know what u decided to do...

regards
lakester :cool:

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

On both my cars, both are 89 Blocks from an L98 motor. One was converted to a 383 and dynos 470 at the motor and the other is a ProCharged 355 pushing 14lbs putting close to 500 HP. Both are 2 bolt mains with ARP studs. So far so good after 3 years. The key to a good engine is a good balance job IMHO

This is the 355 Block. Lunati Pro Mod Rotating with Wiseco Dished pistons. 8:3:1 "Blower Friendly"

Attachments

• Cnv0011.jpg
    Cnv0011.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Cnv0012.jpg
    Cnv0012.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

On both my cars, both are 89 Blocks from an L98 motor. One was converted to a 383 and dynos 470 at the motor and the other is a ProCharged 355 pushing 14lbs putting close to 500 HP. Both are 2 bolt mains with ARP studs. So far so good after 3 years. The key to a good engine is a good balance job IMHO

... not to mention good oil pressure at the rods and mains... ;)

regards

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

Oh yea. We run a stock M55 Pump with a Z28 white spring "Mr Gasket #26 spring" for aftermarket. Suppose to give 5psi more

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

Oh yea. We run a stock M55 Pump with a Z28 white spring "Mr Gasket #26 spring" for aftermarket. Suppose to give 5psi more

hello,

sounds like it is doing its job! :)

so long as the crank dont flex! :eek: oil pumps can stand a good "port n polish" job... breaking all the internal sharp edges. champhering transition portals, etc. also running clearances tween the rotors to plate can be reduced for increased volume by dressing surfaces. oil pumps can cavitate. then u kiss metal to metal... :mad:

such trix work on the street, the strip... and on the water, too! :D

regards

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

Yup.. We also massaged the number 5 main's oil passage.

This pics is from the 383.

Attachments

• engine33.jpg
    engine33.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and still no one picks up why I say scarp the block, nothing rare nor unual about it, but there is a very big reason I would walk away and spend 100 dollars on another.