chesapeake blue angels

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
I/we are planning to leave tues. morning on the chesapeake from Mariner point boat ramp, heading down gunpowder river, main channels to designated anchor points around greenbury pt/ carr creek.
we (4) will be on my 24' pontoon boat, 115 hp, large, twin toons. I'm using navionics plus stored ipad pics of my route.....with backup garmin fish finder with gps route waypoint capability.....
I've been researching for months now....I have never operated on the chesapeake ...
weather is supposed to be 5-10kt wind.... 1' wave height...and checking every day...
also have researched pontoons and "rough"water....
I figure I can just turn back....

has anyone here specifically done this event. the "airshow" is wed.....the "practice " show is tues...i figure smaller flotillas
so, anything I need to be aware of or watch for?
My fuel requirements meet the "thirds" rule....plus there are marinas....
I checked out (drove down) mariner point ramp on tues.....It looks fine...is it?...

Last edited:

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Mariner Point has a nice ramp and is fine for you. Lock up your rig.
With the nice weather predicted you should be OK. Remember though, there will be a LOT of boat traffic which could create rough conditions. Your pontoon should be alright but keep everyone seated until you are off plane. Try to get there plenty early and set anchor securely with power. Others will anchor all around you and THEY might not set anchor correctly so pay attention to drift.
The show is awesome! I also recommend you stay for awhile after the show to let the numbskulls get outta there. I won’t be making it this year so have a great time!

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
Mariner Point has a nice ramp and is fine for you. Lock up your rig.
With the nice weather predicted you should be OK. Remember though, there will be a LOT of boat traffic which could create rough conditions. Your pontoon should be alright but keep everyone seated until you are off plane. Try to get there plenty early and set anchor securely with power. Others will anchor all around you and THEY might not set anchor correctly so pay attention to drift.
The show is awesome! I also recommend you stay for awhile after the show to let the numbskulls get outta there. I won’t be making it this year so have a great time!
cruise speed is 10 mph....no hurry...the boat traffic is my prime concern, being inexperienced in that manner....I know the rules, but , like you say, it's the other guy, which I do not wanna be.....
ok...good stuff to hear from experience...I'm adventurous, but cautious ...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Joppatowne to Annapolis is a hoof at 10 kts.

The bar on the north side of the Severn up to sandy Sandy Point gets rough on tide changes.

Watch for (big) boats cutting the corner going into the Severn

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
Joppatowne to Annapolis is a hoof at 10 kts.

The bar on the north side of the Severn up to sandy Sandy Point gets rough on tide changes.

Watch for (big) boats cutting the corner going into the Severn
my calculations say 3.5 hrs per leg. I ran fuel burn/rpm/mph test last year on a calm lake....tabulated it...and have it on my boat. I have smartcraft tach and gps speeds. Fuel burn was confirmed...

sorry, this was the full response...my wifi kicked off after typing and wouldn't load...

Attachments

• 879AEC57-893E-4B14-9DC3-D10621CB0D62.png
    879AEC57-893E-4B14-9DC3-D10621CB0D62.png
    326.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 1ADA77AA-FB18-44DE-9B74-187BE669C48B.png
    1ADA77AA-FB18-44DE-9B74-187BE669C48B.png
    494.6 KB · Views: 4

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
my calculations say 3.5 hrs per leg. I ran fuel burn/rpm/mph test last year on a calm lake....tabulated it...and have it on my boat. I have smartcraft tach and gps speeds. Fuel burn was
High tide is 9:58 am followed with a 4:30pm low so you’re running against a 3-4 kt. tide going both directs. .

Your fuel consumption with be considerably more than your “calm lake” scenario and your speed will be compromised as well.

Personally, wouldn’t attempt a 70 mile open water excursion on a pontoon boat but that’s just me.

Good luck.. let’s us know how you make out

Winds for your trip…best site I’ve found

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
thanks...I was using predictwinds.com....noaa.....marine weather etc...
now it's gonna be wed.....the tide info is appreciated, I'm assuming a 3-4 knot flow is standard and wed. is probably the same?....
once again, not approaching this lightly.....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
now it's gonna be wed...the tide info is appreciated, I'm assuming a 3-4 knot flow is standard and wed. is probably the same?....
The app I attached is based of real time buoy data at specific locations. The other sources are useless generalizations for a body of water as dynamic as the Bay.

The marine forecast broadcast is pretty good but that too can be flawed based on generalities.

Tide changes direction basically ever 6 hours. Tide height, speed and duration are relative to the the lunar cycle and wind direction

Don’t take the forecasted wave heights literally….they are “average” wave heights (with some much larger mixed in) and do not included the effects of tidal flow

Based on the forecast below it’s going to be a bit “Sporty” Wednesday morning after an overnight NE against an incoming tide.

Watch that the blow that evening doesn't come earlier than predicted. Any north wind on the Bay is ugly. You don’t have the boat nor the speed to deal with it

TODAY
E winds 10 to 15 kt. Waves 1 ft.

TONIGHT
E winds 10 to 15 kt...becoming NE 5 to 10 kt late. Waves 1 ft.

WED
E winds 5 to 10 kt. Waves 1 ft.

WED NIGHT
SW winds 5 to 10 kt...becoming N 15 to 20 kt with gusts to 25 kt after midnight. Waves 1 ft... building to 3 ft after midnight.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
now it's gonna be wed.....the tide info is appreciated, I'm assuming a 3-4 knot flow is standard and wed. is probably the same?....
How'd it go?

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
eh....sorry...didn't answer sooner....

As a last check ..I called the harbor master....just to kinda get a final thought from the "experts"..........sorry I did.....
She...after I told her where we were leaving from and being the first time .....told me I had a death wish.....Shocked me...I was expecting something like, Well, be careful, watch the bigger boats, we'll help you out, others will also...got your vhf?...channel 17........No, I was told ...THAT...
so, I balked........and have been sorry ever sense.......the weather, tides, winds, were all in my favor.......Horrible feeling , even now....
....so.....well, life goes on.......

the worst part?...that is not like me.....but I'm not 20 anymore, and my career consisted of big responsibility for people, training, accident prevention, protocalls, rules, regulations....and experts in charge.......it was the absolute worst thing someone could say to someone like me....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
eh....sorry...didn't answer sooner....

As a last check ..I called the harbor master....just to kinda get a final thought from the "experts"..........sorry I did.....
She...after I told her where we were leaving from and being the first time .....told me I had a death wish.....Shocked me...I was expecting something like, Well, be careful, watch the bigger boats, we'll help you out, others will also...got your vhf?...channel 17........No, I was told ...THAT...
so, I balked........and have been sorry ever sense.......the weather, tides, winds, were all in my favor.......Horrible feeling , even now....
....so.....well, life goes on.......

the worst part?...that is not like me.....but I'm not 20 anymore, and my career consisted of big responsibility for people, training, accident prevention, protocalls, rules, regulations....and experts in charge.......it was the absolute worst thing someone could say to someone like me....
You made the right decision…

As an avid fisherman, I’ve been plying the open waters of the Chesapeake going on 45 years.

Even with all my skill and experience, I would not make that trip on a pontoon boat. Far too many scenarios where a pontoon is totally inadequate for the conditions.