Check valve / recirculation replacements? loopers and crossflows

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Anyone ever try replacing the check valves with el-cheapos from ebay/amazon? The prices are outrageous @ 105ea. plus the ride. I am talking about the recirc valves going from the intake manifold to the cylinders both port and starboard. For example, doing a looper V4 and they take 4 of them... thats $400+ for all valves if they are clogged, and cleaning them rarely works. I was thinking of using a cheap 1/8npt strait barb, and a $5 check valve you can get on the above mentioned sites. anyone see any issues with this besides getting ones with the correct size nipple? here is what i would be replacing:
1675479209081.png
with something like this maybe
1675479311115.png

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
A quick goggle search turned up Evinrude part number 034872- nipple for $9.87 ea

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Ok, sorry wrong part

Brass with ss spring, ball and screen. Should not be hard to clean at all.

Acetone in a sonic cleaner will do the trick.
Soak in acetone and blow out should work as well

airshot

Rear Admiral
If your motor is of no value to you then swapping good oem parts for no brand junk parts sounds logical and might work...but what if it doesn't ??

Terrapin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Check out Leaders RPM. I purchased mine through Leaders at around $23.00 each.

ct1762@gmail.com

If your motor is of no value to you then swapping good oem parts for no brand junk parts sounds logical and might work...but what if it doesn't ??
i rebuild about 15 OMC powerheads a year. I was simply asking if anyone has done this as its simply a 1 way valve.

ct1762@gmail.com

Ok, sorry wrong part

Brass with ss spring, ball and screen. Should not be hard to clean at all.

Acetone in a sonic cleaner will do the trick.
Soak in acetone and blow out should work as well
no. they are so delicate 80% of the time they cannot be restored. tried all the tricks, including my ultrasonic after a week in chem-dip many times. 8/10 of them sort of come around, but not quite the original flow.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
tried all the tricks, including my ultrasonic after a week in chem-dip many times.
As you have found, Chem-dip is not going to clean brass and stainless very well.

You need alkalinity (pH 1) to clean brass and stainless. Diluted sulfuric acid works very well. As do a number of soak cleaners developed specifically for the plating industry