Check out my new Blue Catfish Record!

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Check out my new Blue Catfish Record!

Wow congrats very nice fish!

Tyme2fish

Commander

Weight?? I'll guess about 80lbs.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

That's a beauty Blue right there Pete!

Weight doesn't matter to me, when they're big or huge they look that way in the pic too!

Where's my brown dog at... or is she the one taking the pics?:D

Last edited:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Cool Cat!! Congratulations.:first:

GA_Boater

What's the weight? She's a big one. State or lake record?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Thanks fellas!! She put out a hell of a fight. She broke my scale, but compared to the 55lber I caught last winter we are thinking it was about 70-80lbs. Jig, my lab loves going on the electric only lakes, but doesnt like the big motor. GA this came out of the James River, so it is nowhere near the record. The state record in VA is 140ish pounds I believe, which means I have some work to do!!

And for all my rod n' reel guys, I pulled her in on an Abu Garcia 7000i. Those reels do some WORK! I use them for planing for striper also, but I want to get 4-6 Abu 6600's to make the fight for the striper a little more fair. :)

GA_Boater

Ah - Your personal best. :D Gotcha.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Nice looking kitty. I wish we had cats up here, but this isn't cat country. I would fish them just for the fun of the fight. That's why I like Muskies/Pike........

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks fellas!! She put out a hell of a fight. She broke my scale, but compared to the 55lber I caught last winter we are thinking it was about 70-80lbs. Jig, my lab loves going on the electric only lakes, but doesnt like the big motor. GA this came out of the James River, so it is nowhere near the record. The state record in VA is 140ish pounds I believe, which means I have some work to do!!

And for all my rod n' reel guys, I pulled her in on an Abu Garcia 7000i. Those reels do some WORK! I use them for planing for striper also, but I want to get 4-6 Abu 6600's to make the fight for the striper a little more fair. :)

I have an old Swedish Abu 5000 and like it but I love my Abu Revo Toro NaCi. If you like a low profile reel and are not trying to retrieve lures super fast. Check out the Revo Toro winch it will pull trees off the bottom or if you want something faster but still powerful check out the NaCi its made for saltwater. Great for exactly what youre doing. I havent read to many great things about Abus round reels since they stopped producing them in Sweden.

WIMusky I have some decent cats down here but spend most my time Muskie/pike hunting.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I use a Revo Toro Winch 60 for muskies..... Sure pulls the double cowgirls with ease...... I have a ABU 6500 C4 for the easier pulling lures and a 5500, 5000.

I would need to move a little south for decent cats. Heck, some big Carp would be fun too. I would just love the fight.......

The OP's cat would be a dream catch.......

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was just reading an old thread when you got the Winch. Ever get the braking figured out? Hasnt been a issue with mine.
We have cats down here but doubt the is one that big left in my stretch of the river. This is the biggest cat I caught this year.

Planning a Ski trip up north in the spring any sure fire lakes you know of near you? PM me if you want.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Ah - Your personal best. :D Gotcha.
Yea sorry I didn't realize how misleading the title was.

Nice looking kitty. I wish we had cats up here, but this isn't cat country. I would fish them just for the fun of the fight. That's why I like Muskies/Pike........
Well now see, I wish I had more Muskellunge around here! Grass is greener right :)

The OP's cat would be a dream catch.......
Thanks man. The opportunity to catch fish like this is here. People come from all over the country to fish this river. I just never realized how lucky I was to be an hour from it.

I was just reading an old thread when you got the Winch. Ever get the braking figured out? Hasnt been a issue with mine.

Planning a Ski trip up north in the spring any sure fire lakes you know of near you? PM me if you want.

The winches are doing great. You can set the bait clicker and leave the drag open, and the current wont pull drag. But, I have just recently put on 1/2" steel rod holders and fish with circle hooks. With gear like this you can just let the fish bite and load the pole up. Hell that's how I caught this beast. I had the drag 75% locked and it was STILL pulling drag. Got him in on 30LB. test line.

Here is a pic. of my setup. Looks a bunch different with that 'Rude on there and those rod holders don't it GA and Jig?

GA_Boater

Looks like real fishin' machine now, Sutor. And catchin' too. :D

sutor623

Rear Admiral

She's doin work brother! I can't wait til the weekend after thanksgiving I'm going to try and nail some striper to the cross. Now THEY have something to worry about because if they are keepers then then will be harvested.....

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like you're ready to come up Musky trolling to me :)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I can't wait til the weekend after thanksgiving I'm going to try and nail some striper to the cross. Now THEY have something to worry about because if they are keepers then then will be harvested.....

Quit tryin' to hurt those poor little fishies!!!:mad-new:

What do you want to eat an ol' douche bag Striper for?.. cause you can't catch anything better?:laugh:

I'd much rather have some of those Blues in the 2-3# range than a dirty diaper striper.

Boat looks real good Pete, and so do the rods and rod holders.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Thanks Jig she's doin what she was made for! And I like eatin those 2-5lb cats too, I just don't waste my time fishin for em :)

fishrdan

Admiral

Nice Catch! :D

Catch and release, or catch and grease? I'm not sure if big cats taste good, or not.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Nice Catch! :D

Catch and release, or catch and grease? I'm not sure if big cats taste good, or not.

When they get that big they have no natural predators so the catfish crew normally throw em back. It's what keeps the James one of the most sought after fishing spots!