Cheap floor and foam replacement for weekend.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
think of the hull as a beer can.
the foam as the beer
the hull as the aluminum

a full unopened beer can can support about 800#
an empty un-dented can can support about 250#
an empty dented can can support about 20#

the foam keeps the can from collapsing
the deck/stringers/hull/transom all work together in unison to support the load

pikeman2240

Cadet
Thank you all for the helpful insight.

Aside from less volume for water to take up and something to walk on, I couldn't understand how foam and a floor did their part in the structure of the boat.

I have watched a few videos on YouTube on how to do the repairs. Notably "Mental Health Day" repairing his old Bayliner. A few other videos about stringer repairs in case that's needed.

I know it will be hard to say exactly but can someone who had a similar type of boat, give me a rough estimation on what it cost them to repair their floors and redo the foam.

I'm hoping it won't cost something like $2000. Wishful thinking is around $500. Note; I have an uncle who's a carpenter/roofer and can get me plywood for cheaper so I don't want to factor that into the cost until the time comes.

Lastly, is it a bad idea to take the floor and foam out to prep it for work next year? It might be a little late but I don't want water in there to expand when everything freezes.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
realistically, your looking at $3500 + just for the hull. not including any upholstry or motor/drive work.

you will spend over $500 in resin alone. the plywood is the cheep part. all you need is exterior grade. that is only $2-300

dont forget the tyvek suits, respirator, etc. you will have $200 in PPE

all the information you need is in the restoration stickies. https://forums.iboats.com/threads/how-tos-and-other-great-information.283508/

look at links 14, 15, 18, 19, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b

pikeman2240

Cadet
realistically, your looking at $3500 + just for the hull. not including any upholstry or motor/drive work.

you will spend over $500 in resin alone. the plywood is the cheep part. all you need is exterior grade. that is only $2-300

dont forget the tyvek suits, respirator, etc. you will have $200 in PPE

all the information you need is in the restoration stickies. https://forums.iboats.com/threads/how-tos-and-other-great-information.283508/

look at links 14, 15, 18, 19, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b
Everything else is fine. The motor, sterndrive, upholstery, the floors actually solid, no soft spots. Maybe the very back by the transom. The hull seems to not have any rot. Overall the boat is in really great condition.

It's just the waterlogged foam mostly.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I gave you some formulas to determine an estimate. I think those others quoted are too high, however, nothing beats your estimate.