charging system 1982 thompsom

cub120

Recruit
how does the charging system work on my 1982 thompsom, it is a 4 cylinder but i can't see a alternator on it. It appears to be charging according to the meter on the dash but don't know what to check or where to find the charger . First time owning this boat so not use to not seeing a alternator or generator. All help would be appreciated Thanks Carl

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... We gotta know what motor it's got,.....
4 cylinder ain't good enough,..... from Whom,..??.. 'bout what vintage,..??

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps a Mercruiser with the 470 or similar.--Charging system under flywheel.

cub120

Recruit
it is the 470 at least that is what it says on the valve cover so that answers my question. never seen one without a alternator, generator thank you for the response

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There were issues with them.-----Many were converted with a kit with a conventional belt driven alternator.

cub120

Recruit
what kind of issues so I know what to look for and where would I get the conversion kit

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The ----Sierra ---Marine parts catalogue has it.-----List at around $1000 or so.------Find a used one on E-bay ???----Any shop that scraps boats as well.

Bondo

Staff member
what kind of issues so I know what to look for and where would I get the conversion kit
Ayuh,....... The 470 has many varied potential "Issues",.....

Keep the raw water pump impeller changed every other year,.....
The 470 will Not stand an overheat,.....

airshot

Rear Admiral
Not a choice motor for most, lots of issues and hard to gets parts and they are costly. I would consider expanding my search to something more popular..

Bondo

Staff member
Not a choice motor for most, lots of issues and hard to gets parts and they are costly. I would consider expanding my search to something more popular..
Ayuh,....... Chevy based power,...... ;)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Start googling Mercruiser 470 issues.

If your original voltage regulator still works, no need to change to an alternator.

However if the motor overheats as much as 10 degrees, that motor will eat the voltage regulator and spit the head gasket