Charging batteries in boat with ACR

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
This winter, for the first time, I left my batteries in the boat. They are connected via an Add-A-Battery kit (with and ACR and an Off-On-Combine switch). Do I need to disconnect the batteries to charge them individually, or is it good enough to just have the switch in the Off position? Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
I leave mine in the boat every year and just disconnect the Bat switches. Do have a 3 bank charger with one ACR

I remove the ground on the ACR to its disabled during storage.

If you have a single bank charger and the ACR is where the other gets charged, then you could keep it connected.

That said so long as nothing happens to the primary Bat then there is no issue. The ACR will disconnect from primary if secondary Bat has an issue. If primary has an issue the ACR will disconnect from the secondary but secondary will no longer be charged

Could remove ground from ACR and use a cheap maintenance charger on the other Bat

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I leave the switch “off” and hook the charger to the “house” battery simply because I don’t need an extension cord to plug the charger in.

sam am I

Commander
When operating in your boat, the ACR normally always hooks one battery to the other to charge the other battery......That's is, for lack of a better word, how your battery's have been conditioned to charge all boating season long, why change that now? Still can maintain/charge them the same way with a off board charger.

The batts can be charged or maintained the same way with any charge source, the ACR doesn't care which kind of charge source it is, 3 stage trickle, engine alt, Sears automotive - 2/10/Crank, etc, etc.

If I ran a ACR, I'd just leave the "off on both" switch "off", hook a 3 stage trickle charger up to one or the other of the batts, (doesn't matter with a SI ACR type) and once the trickle charger has it's primary battery topped off, the ACR will just turn on (just like it always does with the motor running and the motor's alt as the charge source) and will automatically hook the secondary to the primary....Cept now your using a 3 stage trickle charger as the charge source, not the boat's alt.......Sounds like Dings method.

To charge/maintain them independently (best practice BTW), you'd have to turn off/disable (as Dodge said) the ACR by disconnecting the ACR's ground lead (or else the ACR will come on eventually hooking 1 to 2 or 2 to 1, see above), turn/leave the main switch to off, then hook your two bank charger/maintainer up to each battery.

FWIW, personally I don't run an ACR and have three semi permanent cheepy 1.5A 3 stage maintainers hooked to each of 3 battery's with their 120VAC plugs all plugged together in one 3 way splitter with one drop cord out the back of the boat. Back the boat in for the winter, main switches to off, plug in one cord, walk away.

Last edited: