Chap Quality Control is gone

alldodge

Staff member
FYI for anyone looking at Chap
Have a 2023 Chap 280 OSX and the boat looks "great" but that is only skin deep. Their are numerous things that just are not done correctly, and even missing. Loose and missing screws. Stacks of washers used to hold seats up to proper level. Places were the vinyl was worn and scraped by tools used to install seat screws. Unable to get behind the helm (dash) without removing displays, there is no access behind to even begin to gain access.

Helm screws used to hold helm in place are not fully seated, and vinyl protrudes around seats and helm console. Selling as a high end boat but its just a cheap boat with nice looks

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Boat quality has drastically decreased in the past five years across all brands. I'm often amazed at not just the poor quality of components and build but access to seemingly routine maintenance items. I often mutter to myself about the design team when I'm dealing with battery placement. Fundamental power systems need to be at least somewhat accessible for emergency situations. Seems many builders open their ears and design ideas too often to customer complaints regarding storage, look and general appeal.

Chaparral quality began the big slide downhill about 15 years ago on their bigger (twin engine) boats. Selling cheap luxury not to mention iffy warranty support

tpenfield

Staff member
AD - sorry to hear about the quality issues with your new boat. Not sure what can be done. :(

racerone

Supreme Mariner
People were buying everything that came out the door.------Opportunity to make money in the short term.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
A family member has a 2020 21’ SSI with the 4.5 Merc I/O. Nice boat assembly quality is actually pretty good. Engine access, well anything but the oil filter oil fill & water drain are tough to get at. Even batteries; the way they installed the battery switch you can hardly see 1, Both, 2 or off settings. Batteries not easy to get at. If you ever had to change the starter or power steering actuator you’d have to pull the engine. Nice boat but not for me.

alldodge

Staff member
Nothing can be done, have told the Dealer and it's not their fault, as before just info for those that may be looking

tpenfield

Staff member
Nothing can be done, have told the Dealer and it's not their fault, as before just info for those that may be looking
Yes, and it's not like you can just go out and buy something else. Buying a new/new(er) boat tends to be a long term commitment due to the financial aspects.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do employees get paid per hour ?-----Or by the job?-------If they can prove that the job is " done " they get paid.-----Right or wrong.----Piece work can lead to short cuts.

tpenfield

Staff member
AD - I will say, it is hard owning another brand of boat once you've owned a Formula :LOL:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Those faults sound like they are using under trained & under supervised workers. Final QC inspection should catch those issues so someone’s not doing their job.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
BTW
Just for fun I went to price out the current version of my old boat (200 Horizon) the cheapest 20’ boat they sell, starts at $60k, with normal options it hits almost $70k.
The 2020 Chap bought by a relative went for about $38k it was a year old with less than 60 hrs in it. I did not want him to get an I/O for our boating environment but it was nearly impossible to find outboard boats then. So far it’s been fine but would not want to own one of these long term. Engine access is just too limited.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It all starts with poor designs coming from Engineering….if the design is solid, a monkey can be taught to do the assembly work.

flashback

Captain
well AD, knowing you from many of your posts, I figure what is most frustrating for you is that you can't put it right without risk of voiding a warranty... hang in there you will eventually get it the way you want..

alldodge

Staff member
Fix a couple issues and let the dealer think it was Chaps fault, just to see if they would own up to it.

Boat takes on water every time the splash well get wet, which is "every time" you slow and stop. The port motor cable tube was loose and the port inspection plate would not go flush.

So tightened the connector and that slowed things down. Swapped the covers (port/starboard) and still didn't fit flush. Put a hose in the well and saw water coming in. Got a piece of wood which gave me more leverage and was able to turn the port cover down flush. Took it out for a run and several stops and no water in the bilge

Told this in an email to dealer and as before don't expect to hear anything but would be very impressed if they did

287ssx

Recruit
2023 287SSX bought 7/1/23. Put away for winter on lift in covered slip. 6/22 lowered boat lift opened closed loop water inlet. started boat left warm up 3-5min. Pulled out to main channel, started overheating, shut down, called tow. Raw water pump went out! Not covered by Volvo! Less than 32 hours put away for winter again on lift. 7/23 tried to start engine, loud bang, backfired, won't start, towed in 2nd time. 32 hours on motor, waiting on shop to diagnose no start. Chap quality, Volvo quality??? This is my 2nd Chap and don't know what to buy next but don't think it will be Chap.

alldodge

Staff member
This is a VP issue. The over heat could be a plastic bag was caught on the drive, I don't know. I really like Formula over all I've ever owned, but they are much more cost then chap

harringtondav

Commander
I was down to the Chap 19' BR or the Regal 1900ESX when I bought our new boat two years ago.
We went with Regal. Chap only offered a 190 hp Merc 4.5, Regal offered a VP V5 4.3 250 hp for a modest cost. What sealed the deal was VP's fresh water HX cooling with a good single point raw water dump. I'm too old for belly crawling weatherization. .....pink juice flush still required after the dump.
The Regal is well laid out and built. Only two quality issues: A factory scratch in a bow back seat cushion, and the Faria pitot speedo failed.
Dealer botched the upholstery warranty, ordering trim panels instead. Faria told me they never received the speedo, but I'd already upgraded it to matching GPS speedo. A dealer's commitment and integrity can be the largest factor in new boat customer satisfaction.

tpenfield

Staff member
I’ve only owned Formula and Cruisers Yacht boats. No complaints.

Engine issues are a different ball game, as stated, not related to the boat itself.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Worked at a tire factory many , many years ago.-----Tires were assembled by " piece work " labour.-----Company was investigating building radial tires.-----Bought tires at random from the competitor ( I worked in quality control ) and cut them apart and X-rayed them.-----The company I worked for was astonished by the precision of the competitor tires and manufacturing methods.-----The competitor did not use " piece work " as far as I know.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That’s why early US made radial tires were problematic & just about put Firestone out of business. They were not willing to invest in the tech needed to make consistently good steel radials.
In the 70s the only radials I’d buy were Michelin Continental or Pirelli.
It is STILL a problem with steel belted trailer tires so much so I use Kenda bias ply trailer tires with no failures over 20 years of use. Yes radials are “better” but only with consistent quality control.