Cell phone vs Land line phone

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
My phone number has been the same for the past 20 years for my house phone. I have a company cell phone, wife has a cell phone and I cannot see why I should keep my land line. Wife doesn't like the idea of eliminating the house phone. <br /><br />After the WTC incident, I remember the number of things that did not work when that occured. I don't ever want that to happen again, but it did happen. Now 4 years later the cell phone usage has exploded on the market.<br /><br />I'm just not sure if eliminating the land line is a smart move or not. We very rarely use the house phone anymore. All we get now on calls coming in is telemarketers (even though on the National Do Not Call List) and people wanting to refinance my house. I don't like paying over $50 a month on something that annoys me for when the phone does ring.<br /><br />I'm just curious if anyone is in the same situation. Dang if you do and Dang if you don't.

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cell phone vs Land line phone

Thinking about doing the same, Gf and I both have cell phones,or land line I dropped every option available and went with a basic line...$20 bucks is easier to swallow now rather then $50 or so.....<br />She is all for canceling the land line (because she pays that bill) but she also has issues with keeping her cell phone charged all the time,where that could be an issue...<br /><br />See if you can drop you land line bill,if the price wasnt as steep it might make it easier to stand to have both lines.

Homerr

Commander

I dropped my land-line years ago. I'm totally wireless, and I couldn't be happier.<br /><br />I hate cell phones, but when the price of the land-line starting costing more than a cell, it was a no-brainer.<br /><br />My local land-line company (Sprint) basically has a monopoly here... they kept raising prices until I told them to take a hike. <br /><br /><br />H.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

You gotta point Homerr, My line is basic. It started out about 28 bucks a month. 5 years later with increases for service and not any optional stuff like caller ID is now a tad over 50. I'm paying for the people who is dropping out. <br /><br />My cable system is offering digital phone service where I can keep my orignal number. However with the original number, I will still get the telemarketers. <br /><br />I have a rule for telemarketers, "If you cannot pronounce my name, I won't talk to you" or "I'm sorry, I only speak redneck english" then it is "Click" on my part. <br /><br />Anymore I let the dang thing ring. No answering machine, caller ID, but I don't care, those that know me know my cell number.

KaGee

Admiral

I'd drop mine if I could... still need to receive and send faxes.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Cell phone reception is always a pain in all the houses I have lived at. If you walk and talk you will lose the call.<br /><br />Plus no matter what I do, I just cant hear good on a cell phone.<br /><br />Ken

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

We knocked our land line to the basic package also, runs $20.00+ a month or so. When the Cell thing gets as reliable as good ol'e ma bell we'll probably end up wireless. Till then we'll be tethered by a land line.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

We just have the basic service use the cell for long distance - <br /><br /><br />kagee you should check out efax.com - you just scan the document in and fax it from your computer. Free to send but there is a cost to recieve.<br /><br />The only disadvantage right now for is that if you call 911 with most cells they cannot tell where you are.<br /><br />If you call 911 on a land line they can trace the call to your house and come <br /><br />Then there is the reception issue

sangerwaker

Commander

We just dropped our land line last week. So far so good. The rate hikes and surcharges finally pushed us over the edge as mentioned above. Haven't had any real reception problems, and we've had our cell phones for about 2-1/2 years.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My land line is a local call to the two nearest towns, 15 and 25 miles away. All others (to my children and LOML) are long distance.<br /><br />I can call three of them on the cell as a local call. No brainer, except that cell signal is very iffy here..<br /><br />But. I live alone and have a bad heart. I am just a few months short of 70. Land line is the only way I can yell for help if I get in trouble. Last heart attack I called a neighbor, who got me to the ER, 27 miles away, in just under 25 minutes. :eek: Doc said I had another 5 minutes when they got to me. If I had called 911 I probably would have been DOA because it would take the EMTs half an hour just to get here.<br /><br />No easy answer. When cell service gets reliable here I will probably drop the land line, because the extra fees and taxes are almost as much as my cell monthly bill.

sangerwaker

Commander

I can definitely see JB's point if you live in a rural area with questionable reception.<br /><br />For us, living in a metro area, it was a very easy decision.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br />I just cant hear good on a cell phone.
I think your problem is that cowbell :D

rwise

Captain

I'll drop the land line as soon as I get another option for Internet service. Already reduced it to nothing but service as we all carry cell phones now. and with free long distance and mobil to mobil we hardly use the land line except for internet.

ZmOz

Captain

I got rid of my land line about 3 years ago. Only problem is I get terrible cell reception at my house. :rolleyes: I think I'm going to sign up for one of those internet phone companies...I found one that gives 100 minutes a month/free incoming calls for like $6 a month.

Homerr

Commander

Originally posted by tomatolord:<br /> <br /><br /><br />The only disadvantage right now for is that if you call 911 with most cells they cannot tell where you are.<br />
That's quickly changing Tomatolord...<br />The company I work for builds GPS antennas that are going on cell towers for just this reason... to track cell phones.<br /><br />Yes, big brother... :mad: <br /><br /><br />H.

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After Hurricane Charlie took a swipe at us last summer, cable and electric were out for quite a while, but the telephone worked. The cell phones were quite useless for the first few days due to volume and no power to the antennas. We decided to strip off the long distance from the home phone and just have that as an emergency. It is only ~20 a month (essentially all taxes). <br /><br />The cell phones have good reception, but with a toddler in the house I like the ability to dial 911 and the person knows where I am.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been cell only for about 5 years and I definitely don't miss the land line! Family, friends and co-workers know my number, that's good enough for me! All telemarketers can go to h*ll on a wobbly rollerskate, I'm glad I don't have to deal with them anymore! :D

Link

Rear Admiral

I have several friends that are totally wireless and like it. But they also have cable, so for me on dsl Im kinda stuck right now. But have been thinking about going that way also.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by ErikDC:<br /> All telemarketers can go to h*ll on a wobbly rollerskate
LOL, LOL, LOL :D

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I use Vonage and my cell phone exclusively. I dumped the landline last year. It's great... I have my Vonage set to roll over to my cell after a few rings. Even when we were moving and my internet wasn't hooked up the Vonage number still rolled over to my cell so I didn't miss any calls. I love VOIP.... best thing that ever happened to the telephone.