cd14 wont run

ArneA

Seaman
Re: cd14 wont run

Yreka !!! I might have found the problem.. Took off the head and there was a large crack in the gasket going from one cylinder to another. The crack had a white burn mark through it. Have ordered another head gasket. It will be her Mon or Tues.
Instructions for installing the head gasket on the CD14. Does anyone have the lbs. torque that the head bolts have to be set at ? Do I use any gasket sealer ? I think that this cracked and burned gasket just may have something to do with the low compression and moisture getting into the cylinders. Comments please, just dont call me a dummy.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, that'll most likely fix your problem.

Don't worry, no one here will make you feel like a dummy. We're all here to help and many have helped a lot of new boaters like yourself and from this site, many have learned to be decent outboard mechanics. I, myself had twisted wrenches on just about everything, for about 30 years, prior to joining this site, so I just passed my help on to others. The old CD was the second model I ever owned (CD-11) The old Zephyr in my avitar was my first and I just went from there. I haven't been able to leave them alone since. :D I currently have a 1955 CD-11 and a 1958 Fisherman, plus I've owned and repaired several other 5 1/2's in previous years.
Good old motors and fun to use.

ArneA

Seaman

Havent been able yet to find the head bolt torque specs for this CD14 yet.. Eye balls gettin sore from reading so many posts. If you folks run across those specs. please send them on along with any other information about work than should be done while I have the head off of this motor. I scraped off the head and the cylinder cover getting ready to install the new head gasket. Also noticed some water passage ways on this head. Had some rusty looking areas, I took my compressor and blew out all the holes I could find. Should I use any gasket sealer on the new gasket ? As always,,,thank you .

nwcove

Admiral

im not 100% sure (hope someone chimes in) but 18 to 20 INCH/LBS seems to ring a bell. also make sure to check the head for "flatness" before you reinstall it. do this with a very flat surface.....like a piece of glass, and a sheet of 400 grit sandpaper. put the sandpaper on the glass surface and sand the head in a figure 8 pattern (move the head around....not the glass,) have a look after just a few rubs and you will be able to see if it needs more. if it does, ONLY sand until you see "shiny" over the whole mating surface. ( wear gloves and safety glasses!)

ArneA

Seaman

Found an old window , put down the glass and sand paper, then sanded. Most of the head is shiny now but still some slightly darker areas around the piston area. Thank you for the sanding lesson. Think I need to sand another 10 minutes of so until all the surfaces are shiny.

nwcove

Admiral

its a tedious task, but essential!!! (as mentioned before....dont go beyond the point where all the mating surface is shiny....check it often when you get close!)

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

I will post torque value and procedure in the morning!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Great! I knew it had to be something like that as you'd covered the rest pretty thoroughly. Plus, your dropping compression was a red flag. I'll bet it starts within three pulls next time out!

Yreka !!! I might have found the problem.. Took off the head and there was a large crack in the gasket going from one cylinder to another. The crack had a white burn mark through it. Have ordered another head gasket. It will be her Mon or Tues.
Instructions for installing the head gasket on the CD14. Does anyone have the lbs. torque that the head bolts have to be set at ? Do I use any gasket sealer ? I think that this cracked and burned gasket just may have something to do with the low compression and moisture getting into the cylinders. Comments please, just dont call me a dummy.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Remove your cylinder head. Clean the mating surfaces and apply a new head gasket and re-torque the screws to 60 to 84 inch pounds. Notice I stated inch pounds. No sealant is required, just the head gasket.

There are 12 inch pounds in 1ft pound in regards to torque.

Make sure the cylinder head is flat. Here is a diagram that explains it. Wet the surface lightly and use a figure 8 pattern until the all the surface is shiny.

Truingthecylinderhead.jpg

The torque pattern is an attachment to this post. Click on the attachment to get a better visualization. It is not the exact cylinder head picture, but was meant to give you an idea.

First past of the torque pattern is 50% torque value, the second pass is 100% torque value, and after you run the motor and it is good and warm up, stop it let cool some and re-torque again for the final time at 100% torque value.

You can probably get a torque wrench with inch pound measure at an AutoZone with a refundable deposit.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 6hpTorqueSequence.jpg
    6hpTorqueSequence.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 0