Cavitation

FILLBERT

Recruit
CAN SOMEONE HELP WITH THIS...
I own a 1987 Malibu Skier that has been great, but the last 4 years it has developed a problem. When I turn to the right it will not stay flat it rolls up on its side and the the prop starts cavitating. I met a guy at a lake and he told me to get a bigger rudder, but why would that work when for 20 plus years there was no problem.

Fillbert

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Cavitation

I own a 1987 Malibu Skier that has been great, but the last 4 years it has developed a problem. When I turn to the right it will not stay flat it rolls up on its side and the the prop starts cavitating. I met a guy at a lake and he told me to get a bigger rudder, but why would that work when for 20 plus years there was no problem.

Fillbert

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... What changed 4 years ago,... Obviously,.. Something did...

kawakx125

Seaman

i don't have any experience with inboards but possibly prop issue? maybe your rudder is damaged or something else is out of whack causing it to roll?

FILLBERT

Recruit

Nothing that I could think of ....I have hit the occasional floating log. The Prop is the original. I can not see any damage to either the prop or rudder.
Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... What changed 4 years ago,... Obviously,.. Something did...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Nothing that I could think of ....I have hit the occasional floating log. The Prop is the original. I can not see any damage to either the prop or rudder.

Inboards do not like hitting things! One hit with a small log is more than enough to bend things...

I'd say you prop shaft is bent, or the strut holding it is bent or loose. I'm guessing what sounds like cavitation isn't really cavitation, its a bent shaft/strut vibrating like crazy. And yes, its fairly common that it only happens during a turn, as it load is applied in a different direction than normal.

oldjeep

Admiral

Malibus do not like turning hard right, not sure why it didn't do that 4 years ago. My father inlaws 2005 Response cavitates like crazy in a hard right - which is fine since they are designed to turn left ;)

robert graham

Admiral

Fillbert
I believe your prop is "Ventilating"....maybe check underneath for bent prop, shaft, etc......Good Luck!:)

kawakx125

Seaman

if i'm not mistaken aren't alot of inboard ski boat props bronze? wouldn't think it'd take much to damage those...